Dom Thomas

StipeIsGod

I wasn't at the game and having been away the weekend I wasn't following as closely as normal but looking at the club match report it has him down as coming on at 59 minutes for Nathan Thomas? I was under the impression he didn't feature and indeed the BBC report has Marvin Johnson down as that sub.

So back to the original point and what I imagined was the case that he was overlooked, yeah I'd say you have to ask why. He has been reasonably consistent in making a positive impression coming off the bench and whilst I wouldn't knock Barraclough for putting one of his new lads on ahead of him if he is more confident in their ability, however when we're chasing a game and needing someone to try and make an impact Thomas for the moment would be near the top of my list.

I got the impression the last sub was purely due to an injury, maybe it was a sop to Ainsworth for not getting on the previous week. I'd hope not as one of our bigger underperformers and high up most peoples lists of players they'd be content getting shot off I'd rather he was given the impression he needed to buck his ideas up and not be rewarded possibly with an easy bit of appearance money.

Not including likes of Cummins, McHugh and Ross Stewart I make it we have 27 first team players to choose from including those currently injured I might add and I not sure on how imminent any of those returns are but I hope to fuck Barraclough has a clear plan as seeing Reid, McManus and Ramsden continue to flounder in an unbalanced looking team is concerning. I'm putting quite a bit of faith in the return of Pearson, Hammell and some relatively untested new guys that we can emerge out of this horror spell.

• Like 1

Sorry, but for me, he's looked like the best option in a tunnel and now cavalcade of pish. Is he really not even worth a go at the moment?

He's young he might not be ready to start all, or even some, of the games, but he should certainly be coming off the bench.

I can understand Baraclough holding him back so we can have an impact player coming off the bench that can change the game with 20 - 25 minutes to go but I don't understand not playing him because he's been just about the only thing to enthuse over lately.

I never made the game, so cant really call Baraclough out on it, as he knows the full picture, regards his tactics,fitness, sharpness, desire, capability, formation etc. but without doubt, Dom Thomas deserves any game time he gets.

just seems to me Baraclough is giving every single player a chance (some more than others)

Baralough has used Thomas:

St Mirren 5mins (debut?)

Partick 0min

Accies 14mins

Aberdeen 20mins

Dundee full debut 90mins

Celtic 45mins

Dundee United 0mins

St johnstone 31mins

Ross County 0mins

I'm hoping we continue to see him used , happy for it to be a controlled development, but we need the hope a character like him delivers as much as the actual skills he brings.

PS today he played 85minutes, set at least one up and scored one , in a 4-1 win

Any hopes of a home comeback were dashed with with 20 minutes to go when ‘Well killed the game in style.

Thomas picked the ball up 40 yards out and showed great feet to jink past two Caley defenders. He played a neat one-two with Cadden and cooly finished past Hoban to make it 4-1 and send the Steelmen home with all three points.

We wouldn't lose him for nothing if we offered him a contract as we'd be entitled to a development fee. However I don't know how long he's been with us - it was previously reported we got him from Celtic but I've also seen reports that he's been with us for donkey's years.

So, is he out of contract this year? Or are we just creating another hypothetical situation to piss our pants about? It was mentioned on the GMs podcast that we were looking to tie up the younger players on longer deals, so I assume that's being worked on. However, we can't force folk to accept contracts so it will probably take some work.

The boy reminds me of McFadden when he broke into the team. Full of confidence in his ability, and willing to run at people. Defenders don't like that kind of attacker. He is one of the young guys that deserve, and should get, a run in the team. He's exciting to watch even although he makes mistakes, he's still willing to take on the opposition again and again. Hopefully Barraclough can see what a lot of posters on here can see, and give the boy a chance.

Definitely one to give us some hope, but a long way to go in his development. I'd be happy for him to get game time from the bench for now. I see him more as an impact player at this stage. Next season will be when I'd expect him to make a real impact and establish himself.

Definitely one to give us some hope, but a long way to go in his development. I'd be happy for him to get game time from the bench for now. I see him more as an impact player at this stage. Next season will be when I'd expect him to make a real impact and establish himself.

Next season when we are in the championship you mean.

If Ainsworth gets game time then Thomas should. At least you know you will get 100% from Dom.

It's a balancing act with the youngsters. They need game time, but physically they aren't necessarily ready for the demands of 90 minutes of SPFL action even every other week.

Good to finally see him break through, though. The past couple of seasons he has been one of the standouts in the U20 games. As JJ said about him in one interview "he has continental feet".

It's a balancing act with the youngsters. They need game time, but physically they aren't necessarily ready for the demands of 90 minutes of SPFL action even every other week.

Good to finally see him break through, though. The past couple of seasons he has been one of the standouts in the U20 games. As JJ said about him in one interview "he has continental feet".

Whit, size 44?

• Like 2

Next season when we are in the championship you mean.

If Ainsworth gets game time then Thomas should. At least you know you will get 100% from Dom.

I'm tending to agree with this. Ainsworth is the McFadden of season 2014/15. He came in a year later, did and job and impressed, got a deal, then went off the boil. Almost carbon copy, only difference was McFadden was trying and it wasn't happening.

I can't see him being here past May unless there is a massive improvement. If we won't make anything off him as he'll be released. Therefore no reason not to play Thomas. We're in line to make something from him if he can be tied down on a Dundee Utd style contract. Which AB hinted at was going to be happening over the coming weeks.

Our biggest prospects at present are Moore, Erwin, Leitch, Watt and Thomas. I hope they can all be secured.

I'm tending to agree with this. Ainsworth is the McFadden of season 2014/15. He came in a year later, did and job and impressed, got a deal, then went off the boil. Almost carbon copy, only difference was McFadden was trying and it wasn't happening.

I can't see him being here past May unless there is a massive improvement. If we won't make anything off him as he'll be released. Therefore no reason not to play Thomas. We're in line to make something from him if he can be tied down on a Dundee Utd style contract. Which AB hinted at was going to be happening over the coming weeks.

Our biggest prospects at present are Moore, Erwin, Leitch, Watt and Thomas. I hope they can all be secured.

Ainsworth was never interested in staying here in the first place. He prevaricated over signing a contract till the last minute. You can be certain he was looking round all summer for a better deal. Then when he did sign a contract it was a 1 year contract.

But over and above any other consideration is form. The facts are Dom Thomas has been doing it on and pitch when Ainsworth looks like a ghost player.

For me the three best prospects to come through our youth system since McGhee were Paul Slane, Steven Lawless and now Dom Thomas.

We can't afford to fuck up the development of a quality player three times in a row.

No way did we fuck up Slane's development - he did that all by himself.

I accept that the Slane situation wasn't entirely the clubs fault but the point is a wider one. If the three most talented players we have produced in recent years all leave the club, for whatever reason, then there is something badly wrong with the youth set up because not only are we not producing enough talent, the talent we do produce leaves having hardly kicked a ball for us.

No one, no on sensible at least, expects a conveyor belt of great talent to come out of a youth system on a regular and consistent basis, that's not how it works, but we must do everything we can to hold on to the boys we bring through that have that little bit extra.

You might be right about Paul Slane, maybe he did do it all himself, but you know what I doubt very much if U20 teams are full of mature, intelligent young men with a clear and sensible idea of their career development, none of whom dream of playing for Rangers, Celtic or other bigger clubs than us.

That's part of dealing with young players, and it's up to us to put in place a system where our best young players don't want to leave.

Perhaps it was unavoidable with Paul Slane but again, the wider point is we can't afford 100% wastage from the three most talented players we have produced in recent years and because of that Dom Thomas should loom large in the managements thinking.

• 2 weeks later...