Motherwell V Dundee 21/02/15

Yabba's Turd

laugh.gif He doesn't even look comfortable running!

Always like to try and find a positive where I can so...

Although watching football has often made me happy, rarely does it make me actually laugh, but watching Anthony Straker is absolutely hilarious.

It was genuine comedy today. Looked like someone that had won a competition to play.

Baraclough did say that Straker would bring athleticism and energy didn't he?

Players let us down today big style and should not accept their wages this week . No fight at all ,would only give Erwin pass marks for effort. Motherwell players on that park today did not seem to grasp the seriousness of the situation. The tactics(anyone able to work out the tactics wins a cocoanut ) would point to clueless management but even taking that into consideration most of the blame in my opinion lies at the door of the players ,no team spirit on display at all. :angry:

Based on the rest of the season - just couldn't be bothered.

Based on the rest of the season - just couldn't be bothered.

Sadly, that's now the main thought in my head about the team, the season, Motherwell FC as a whole.

They've got my season ticket money and today's "performance" was one step too far.

The remaining games? I really can't be bothered.

As a fan of some 40 years, I've seen plenty of guff, but today I asked why do I bother. Nobody else seemed to.

Depressing doesn't get close to describing it.

Gutting? Maybe that's closer.

Typical English coach who's been going around the lower leagues in England and thinks any diddy can come into the SPFL and make an impact.The only one who looks better than what we have is grant, Laing is a bomb scare, Straker should be nowhere near any Premier league sides starting 11, the goalie is no better than what we had which begs the question what the fuck was the point signing him when we needed players in other positions? The others are average but no improvement on what we had.

We went for the cheap option and it's backfired.He doesn't have the experience to deal with a team in our situation and if we continue with what we've seen recently then we're going down, simple as that.Dundee looked a pretty poor side to me but they beat us comfortably, no fight, no quality, nothing to show we're capable of grinding out a few results.Get somebody with SPL experience in now, it's not going to get any better under IB.

1424542353[/url]' post='433093']

Utter dross today and one of the most frustrating things for me is that other than that flukey goal I don't think Dundee really ever troubled us.

The way we setup was shite and that sits with the manager. You could see from the first minute the midfield was so unbalanced and uncomfortable. Not a surprise when Moore is playing centre mid and Erwin on the wing.

Defence - Long, Ramsden, Laing, and McManus all did fine if not really great from my point of view. A few misplaced passes but in general didnt have much to worry about. Straker, I am pretty sure, isn't a football player - terrible terrible terrible.

Midfield - Lasley chased shadows and countless times mis-controlled the ball. He did have a few key blocks and tackles though. Moore tried a lot but offered nothing (not really his fault). Grant seems to have nice touch but couldn't get into the game really. Erwin/N.Thomas/Ainsworth/D.Thomas/Johnson all gave it a go but with a lack of quality. Midfield is where it fell down for me.

Attack - Sutton ran about a bit.

Just about sum it up but you didn't quite state how bad Straker was - poorest player I've seen for many a year.

Today was seriously depressing. Not much going for us, and a freak early goal sapped what little confidence the players had. Dundee were the better team, but not by much. I don't think they did enough to deserve the points, but they got them anyway.

I think the players do understand the seriousness of the situation. That may explain why so many seem afraid to take the ball and responsibility and make things happen. We are watching a team with absolutely no confidence.

We need to get our better players back on the pitch. Hammel is sorely missed, Pearson will surely shore up the midfield, and help the much maligned Lasley. Would Vigurs get back in? Much like Ainsworth, he has talent, but needs to apply more effort along with those fleeting moments of flair. There is certainly a better 11 in the squad than we saw on show today.

As for the new boys, still too early to judge for most. Though I have to agree that Straker had a mare today and has shown nothing other than some promise for 45mins versus St.Johnstone. The keeper looks OK. A few bread and butter saves today and generally solid so far. Laing definitely improved over his brief debut. Grant looked OK as well, but I was hoping for more from him, someone to make things happen, but didn't see it today. Maybe due in some way to the lack of players willing to run on from midfield.

The team need a freak win to get some confidence back. At the moment I think we will be relegated with only a few more points than we currently have.

• Like 1

Grant looked OK as well, but I was hoping for more from him, someone to make things happen, but didn't see it today. Maybe due in some way to the lack of players willing to run on from midfield.

Yeah, going by the reports from Dingwall he was the player I was most looking forward to seeing but it was basically a 10 years younger version of the maligned Vigurs. A couple of nice passes, couple of nice touches but for the most part anonymity that left the youthful sprightly Lasley to try to start moves, get forward and support those moves, get back and stop the inevitable breaks when those moves went nowhere.

In a properly balanced midfield though I still hope to see more of the obvious promise Grant has.

Let's stay strong and see what gives next Saturday, maybe a deflected cross will go in ....even poor teams are due a turn

The new players are also due some time, nobody can give their best getting barracked...but if we keep losing the first goal, like yesterday, the anxiety spreads into the stands

Tbf Tony Straker isn't the answer but the others might be , given time

I don't really put it down to lack of effort yesterday although Ramsden doesn't look interested

Didn't think I would say it after criticising him before but Kerr might give more at right back

Peculiar team selection and tactics meant that we had an uphill battle from the off. The midfield in particular was a complete disorganised shambles. IB also persisted with failed ideas - Sutton on his own up front; Erwin on the wing; no player left upfield when defending set pieces. Keith Lasley tried his best but is clearly not up to it at his level any more.

If we are to reach safety big changes need to be made - not more of the same.

Woke up this morning and on reflecting on the game..... I'm even more pissed off.

Not a single shot on target. No cohesion, urgency and just general utter utter shite. That team should have had more than enough to win that game.

If some of the players are not trying, no matter how long they have been here this is not acceptable and they should be shown the door. Disgraceful.

I know you make your own luck in football but surely we are due a break soon, anything to give us some hope.

Peculiar team selection and tactics meant that we had an uphill battle from the off. The midfield in particular was a complete disorganised shambles. IB also persisted with failed ideas - Sutton on his own up front; Erwin on the wing; no player left upfield when defending set pieces. Keith Lasley tried his best but is clearly not up to it at his level any more.

If we are to reach safety big changes need to be made - not more of the same.

I think there are far bigger worries than Lasley, especially your man at left back.

Woke up this morning and on reflecting on the game..... I'm even more pissed off.

Not a single shot on target. No cohesion, urgency and just general utter utter shite. That team should have had more than enough to win that game.

If some of the players are not trying, no matter how long they have been here this is not acceptable and they should be shown the door. Disgraceful.

I know you make your own luck in football but surely we are due a break soon, anything to give us some hope.

I see no hope with this guy at the helm .

The players need to take responsibility and start showing heart and desire to try and get some points on the board . But when you're down and almost out you need someone on the sidelines shouting and cajoling them to get every ounce out of them they can , not this prick standing back with his nicely brushed hair and perfectly ironed shirt having a wee chinwag wi our fecking goalkeeping coach about what to do .

We need somebody in the trackies and boots on , standing on the edge of his technical area lambasting cunts for 90 minutes mould.

Who gives a fuck if McManus takes the huff or Lasley spits the dummy ? Get someone in now who can boot baws and make this shower of shit of the most epic proportions actually earn the more than decent wages they are paid .

I think there are far bigger worries than Lasley, especially your man at left back.

To be perfectly honest, I think Lasley has been suffering this season from trying to do too much himself. He certainly puts the effort in every week, but when people aren't looking for the ball or moving to create space, he's trying to do it himself and his performances are suffering as a result. There were several times yesterday he was looking for the ball in dangerous (to us) areas, simply because no-one else was showing for it. I'm all for the captain leading by example, but sometimes you have to give your team mates an earful when they're not pulling their weight, something he seems reluctant to do.

• Like 1

I dunno so much.

It's hard not to focus in on him as by all accounts he is terrible but the real problem this season has been in midfield. No matter what combination and formation we play they offer almost nothing going forward and are as equally inept at helping out the defence.

Sort the midfield and I think everything else will fall into place.

I'm personally pinning all of my hopes on Pearson. Even from his brief appearances you can see he adds something.

Stephen, if you're reading this, please save us!

It's hard not to focus in on him as by all accounts he is terrible but the real problem this season has been in midfield. No matter what combination and formation we play they offer almost nothing going forward and are as equally inept at helping out the defence.

I think if we try a radical technique of only playing midfielders in the midfield we might get an improvement in our performaces.

Playing Moore in the most important position yesterday was like tiying one hand behind our backs and Erwin and Johnson for different reasons weren't suited to their roles.

I just don't agree with this. Our back four has been shocking all season - McManus, Ramsden, Kerr, etc, etc.

We've also never had a second striker all season. Erwin played wide, Ojamaa up front, rarely two real strikers up front, meaning Sutton has been totally isolated.

We rarely hit the byline and have no width.

Central midfield has been poor but it's just part of a general malaise and not a specific problem, in my opinion.

I just don't agree with this. Our back four has been shocking all season - McManus, Ramsden, Kerr, etc, etc.

We've also never had a second striker all season. Erwin played wide, Ojamaa up front, rarely two real strikers up front, meaning Sutton has been totally isolated.

We rarely hit the byline and have no width.

Central midfield has been poor but it's just part of a general malaise and not a specific problem, in my opinion.

Only a fool would try to argue that the back four has been anything other than honking this season, so I'm not going to. However, I think they are entitled to feel a little hung out to dry.

Even the much maligned Straker was trying to bring the ball out from defence on his debut and had to turn back repeatedly as he had absolutely no one to pass to.

Teams know that all they have to do is press us high up the park and we will give them the ball, and that's because our midfield is not showing and being completely bypassed, for one reason or another.

I don't disagree with most of what you say, but I do think addressing the midfield should be the priority.

Only a fool would try to argue that the back four has been anything other than honking this season, so I'm not going to. However, I think they are entitled to feel a little hung out to dry.

Even the much maligned Straker was trying to bring the ball out from defence on his debut and had to turn back repeatedly as he had absolutely no one to pass to.

Teams know that all they have to do is press us high up the park and we will give them the ball, and that's because our midfield is not showing and being completely bypassed, for one reason or another.

I don't disagree with most of what you say, but I do think addressing the midfield should be the priority.

X2

There little to be gained from picking on Straker or Lasley, collectively the team was very poor. For once yesterday I thought I central defence pairing had a reasonable game. The fault did not lie there.

The midfield is our big problem and has been for some time - evidence of the problem was there for all to see last season and nothing was done to address it in the summer. Yesterday was a complete hotch potch of players playing needlessly out of position in roles for which they aren't suited.

For once yesterday I thought I central defence pairing had a reasonable game. The fault did not lie there.[/size]

Dundee were in Stand By mode for most of the match.

The defence was getting ripped apart until Dundee scored and spent the rest of the match in hammocks with a pina colada.