Bookies In Fir Park

Mitch

Its been a few years now since we last had a bookies facility in Fir Park (from memory it was around when Jaxx took the sponsorship deal.

In times when we should be looking to maximise the revenue then is this something that should be looked at? Could it be run inhouse? In the age of iPhone betting apps is there much of a place for a bookies inside the stadium?

Would be interested to see what it was worth when Ladbrokes packed it in. Might not be big enough revenue for a big UK gambling company but a local independant bookie might consider it.

From memory I don't think there much if any return for the club. They were good whilst they were there though.

There was about an 18 month spell where you could almost bank on a return from having Tommy Coyne as first goalscorer.

The most ludicrous bet, or bets, I've ever seen come up though was John Bryce, brother of Tony and who both sold the programmes for years, sticking on whatever it was on Craigan to score first in a game against Hibs when Butcher was still in charge. These would obviously be long odds and off he trots gleefully at half-time to pick up his winnings.

But fuck me did not stick another couple of quid on Craigan to be final goalscorer and up pops Craigan to score again to rescue a point in a 2-2 draw and give him another lift.

I'd much rather have a bookies back at Fir Park than alcohol on sale.

Me too.

I'm cutting back my betting but if there was a bookies at Fir Park I'd probably put my Saturday line on there.

I guess the problem for bookies in a football ground is that most people will be betting on the home team, or at least that match, and there isn't the wide spread of different bets so potentially the bookies could take a big hit if the home team wins.

Not that that's a problem at the moment!

Ha ha! Happy to stand corrected on the order of the scoring. :)

Can only assume I've got the bets confused with the passing of time but I'm not going to forget the ridiculousness on betting Craggs to score and then score again inside the same game - and getting it up!

Who needs it when everyone practically has betting apps now?

If you go to the greyhounds everyone uses the bookies, they don't go online to make their bets. It's all part of the occasion, the fun of it.

And nothing beats the punter triumph of handing in a winning slip and getting real money off a real bookie.