Mfc Podcast

AndyRoss

Wouldn't say it's a totally fair summary given we covered a great deal in the time we had and also that having listened to the podcast back numerous times last night when editing it I felt we didn't hold back or give him an easy time if we disagreed.

Apologies for not picking up on your question but unfortunately there are times where we simply don't have enough time.

secondly I'm surprised that none of you picked up on the WS's answer to my question on here

Just on this point - as much as we try and prepare for any special guests we have on, a lot of what is posted on here will probably pass us by given we're not regular users anymore. The podcast is done usually when we're all simultaneously available after busy days, so we can't always be checking forums to make sure we've taken notes of everything everybody says, particularly if it's conversations between two users - it's one of the reasons the graphics we now share to promote the podcast state that questions/comments etc should be submitted via Facebook or Twitter, to make it far easier for us to keep a track because we don't really have the time to trawl message boards on top of actually doing the podcast.

As always though, any feedback is welcome - be it positive or negative, so your comments are appreciated. The podcast last night was intended to be conversational whilst still raising a few points rather than an interview like the one already on the Well Society website - I think we managed to do that while covering a lot of issues and also pointing out things we didn't agree with, but naturally things are going to be missed in a discussion that lasts less than an hour, and everyone will have different opinions on what were the important points.

Incidentally, on the subject of a Plan B, without explicitly saying it I thought Les made it perfectly clear on a number of occasions that, if the Well Society isn't a success in five years, he'll pack up and move on.

'Fishal Facebook has linked to it, suspect your listen count will go up exponentially.

Only thing I thought you missed out on was asking what Les' plan B is? Is his exit strategy 5 years regardless of outcome and secondly I'm surprised that none of you picked up on the WS's answer to my question on here, that if failure ensues and Les sells the club, he gets his cash back in full however the WS funds may be severely eaten into over the intervening 5 years to supplement the loan repayments.

If the WS for whatever reason is then wound up, there is a very good chance that the people of Motherwell/Lanarkshire who contributed upwards of £300 during the midst of an economic downturn and in an area where Les rightly points out, has lost many of its industry and business' could be face with receiving significantly less than what we put in.

Is that a fair outcome considering every interview I've seen/listened to has mentioned the poor economic history and fortunes of the area.

There is just nobody asking the tough questions of our future security in an uncertain world.

Fucked that up on my tablet sorry.

but what part of Les saying a few times, "it's up to us" "its in our own hands" along with the chairman's message saying what happens if we fail, indicates anything other than les selling the club to the highest bidder no matter who?

Les Hutchison has no plan b as such, essentially he is the plan b on the well society's side of things. His willingness to loan us the funds come as a second part to the well society's plan.

if we fail, les walks away.

It wasn't designed to be negative, a lot of the questions posed where a mixture of common sense and preaching to the choir. Yes, improving the matchday experience, not allowing our talent to leave for 3 ginger bottles, it all makes perfect sense and you got agreement and expansion from our owner.

While his short term aims and plans should be discussed, there was nothing asked on the long term future other than a few of the current initiatives will bear fruit hopefully ahead.

I just find it frustrating that we've had to crowbar a few answers out of the WS as to how things will progress going forward. There seems to be a significant element of our fans who are more concerned at an U20's visit to Nando's than the governance and future direction of our club. Maybe its a degree of Ostrich-sand syndrome.

The only bit of dissention I can recall Andy related to WS communications. I also appreciate Les is a different entity to the WS, however can influence them greatly.

Cracking show lads. Deserve loads of credit for how it has taken off and how much it is enjoyed.

Was lying in my scratcher this morning listening to it. Have to say my favourite bit was when Les mentioned aout asking "What is the biggest room in the house? Room for improvement". That quote will be heading into a meeting in the next couple of days!

Again, well played lads!

I just find it frustrating that we've had to crowbar a few answers out of the WS as to how things will progress going forward. There seems to be a significant element of our fans who are more concerned at an U20's visit to Nando's than the governance and future direction of our club. Maybe its a degree of Ostrich-sand syndrome.

I actually have no doubt whatsoever that the subject of a "Plan B" would have been tackled at some point if Les hadn't already made it incredibly clear on numerous occasions that, if the Well Society isn't a success, there will be no point in him being there so he'll move on, something that has already been stated by the Society and the club. If you don't feel that was obvious then that's fair enough, but it certainly wasn't a case of any of us putting our heads in the sand - personally I think it was more a case of, in the spontaneity of a recorded-as-live podcast, all three of us understanding quite clearly that this was the case, particularly because he reiterated it on a number of occasions.

It was less about not asking the tough questions and more about not asking questions that had already been answered.

Cracking show lads. Deserve loads of credit for how it has taken off and how much it is enjoyed.

Was lying in my scratcher this morning listening to it. Have to say my favourite bit was when Les mentioned aout asking "What is the biggest room in the house? Room for improvement". That quote will be heading into a meeting in the next couple of days!

Again, well played lads!

Cheers mate, that was a personal highlight. He left just enough of a gap after asking the question that I thought he was looking for an answer. Was just about to shout out something like "living room!" like a game of Family Fortunes when he then finished his wee quote!

• Like 1

Cheers mate, that was a personal highlight. He left just enough of a gap after asking the question that I thought he was looking for an answer. Was just about to shout out something like "living room!" like a game of Family Fortunes when he then finished his wee quote!

With Les being as financially well off the answer to him is probably his wine cellar!

Hopefully he comes on again in the future and gives a bit more as we progress on the journey. If anything, it has made me decide to join the WS so if nothing else it means there will be another £300 into the fund!

• Like 2

With Les being as financially well off the answer to him is probably his wine cellar!

Hopefully he comes on again in the future and gives a bit more as we progress on the journey. If anything, it has made me decide to join the WS so if nothing else it means there will be another £300 into the fund!

You're far from the only person to say that in the aftermath of this episode (and the earlier Brian McCafferty one). Looks like the podcast has become more than just entertainment for fans and has actively led to a good few folk deciding to sign up for the Society, which is fantastic.

• Like 2

You're far from the only person to say that in the aftermath of this episode (and the earlier Brian McCafferty one). Looks like the podcast has become more than just entertainment for fans and has actively led to a good few folk deciding to sign up for the Society, which is fantastic.

Exactly. The benefit of running a podcast like last night could be the difference in an extra dozen or so people joining up. Shouldnt underestimate the positive impact that it has had.

Hearing about the work going on behind the scenes shows that the club is on a journey of improvement (biggest room in the house and all that...). Hopefully we will be a well run business over the coming years and can be a step ahead of the rest of the teams around us (lets be honest, with the exception of Hearts, most other clubs need to get their house in order).

Was really good to hear Les Hutchison speak so positively, and with a vision to the longer term.

He's put his money where his mouth is, not like John Boyle in the speculate to accumulate days of paying Andy Goram 8 grand a week, but investing in the future with scouting, tieing up promising youngsters on longer contracts, fitness and conditioning....

He seems too clever to throw good money after bad and has a plan.

As Jay summed up in the extra time section, yes, we should be doing our part to sell the club, but paying £20 to sit in a freezing cold dilapidated stand watching shite football on a bumpy park on a Friday night is quite a hard sell to folk who have found other things to do with their time and money. More needs to be done to make the match day experience sell itself.

He also did the best sales pitch I've heard for the 'well society!

(I still maintain my charity begins at home stance, but if you'd handed me a pen and the form at the end of the podcast....)

I hadnt realised how involved he was, he seemed to know everything that was going on.

Good work guys, enjoyable listening. Thought you got the balance right in that you did challenge him on some things, without just being argumentative.

• Like 2

I haven't posted on here a long time but I just wanted to say that I have really been enjoying the podcasts and I have listened to every one. Also the podcast with the new owner has inspired me to sign up to the well society as well so keep up the good work lads!

• Like 3

With respect Busta, I'd rather hear it directly from him than you paraphrase it. I'd like to know if he walks at the end of January 2020 regardless of where the club is or he has that Plan B.

That's fair enough, just thought it had been covered by the chairman's blog before.

Been listening for the last dozen or so podcasts, and this is by far the best so far. Was excellent hearing Les speak very frankly about his vision for the club and felt you guys done very well covering most of the areas of concern in the time allowed. Its so refreshing to have this much positivity off the field and the work Les is doing has the potential to build us a lasting legacy as a forward thinking community club.

Top effort guys, much appreciated.

• Like 2

Aye, I caught it. As soon as it came on I thought it had to be from the podcast given Les was seemingly in Barbados.

Should have been a proper namecheck for you but at least they didn't have the total cheek to pass it off as their own work.

Still 'As seen on TV' can now be added to future podcast adverts thumbup.gif

• Like 1

Just listened to the podcast. Why all the secrecy surrounding the length of Baraclough's contract?

Glad the question was asked but the response didn't surprise me.

Maybe one of the journalists that regularly attend the Press Conferences will pose the question directly to Baraclough (Or maybe the podcast team will end up with a Press Conference pass...).

Just listened to the podcast. Why all the secrecy surrounding the length of Baraclough's contract?

I think he just felt it wasn't his place to say, he basically said it would be upto Barraclough of he wanted to share that information.

Just keeping himself right, and respecting Barracloughs privacy.

If I asked your boss about your business, I'm sure you'd prefer he didn't just tell me.

To be fair, I didn't think there was any chance of him discussing the contract of an employee, we just tend to take it for granted that these things are announced at the start. But it's something that has been mentioned before and has been noticeable by its absence so we definitely had to ask at least.