Mfc Podcast

AndyRoss

Been really encouraged since I heard the very first interview with Les on the Radio and the podcast was no different. His willingness to make himself available and be as honest as he has been is very refreshing. The business acumen and structure that he is bringing to and setting up at MFC is really encouraging and will hopefully stand us in good stead no matter what happens at the end of the season.

He is putting his money where his mouth is, guess it is fair that us as fans do the same, as best we can.

Also hats off to all of the guys involved in the podcasts, asking the questions we all want to ask but without starting a barny, well done guys.

• Like 1

Great podcast.

This in itself this is exactly the type of thing I think Les talks about when saying it is in our hands to make things work. Yeah, we can try and convince a mate to go but its not that easy as we all know. However, you guys had the attitude to do a podcast and then chase high profile guests which has now resulted in more Well Society members. That's a positive that has came from some pro-activity.

If other fans do the same thing and make their ideas happen then things will move forward in a positive way. For me, it's not just about complaining that the club are not doing this, the WS are not doing that etc. That's easy to do and it's easy to say 'it's not my problem'. If we think something should be done better we should be challenging the club/WS but also getting of our arses and doing something about it to make sure it happens. Getting our hand's dirty if that is what is needed. That's the hard part.

This isn't directed at anyone - just a general musing of which I need to take some of my own advice and help where I can over and above paying £10 a month.

• Like 1

Thanks again guys and thanks Les.

Miles and miles away from some current new owners of 'fitba clubs else where in terms of attitude honesty and straight talking.

Also a wee insight into lack of player health care under Stuart/Kenny? Seemed shocked by lack of?

Thanks a lot for the feedback - if only STV had given us the same credit.....

Understandably we don't have access to playing or coaching staff, but there's plenty of options for future podcasts and we've also got a few guests that have agreed to return in the near future too.

Will have Monday's guest confirmed tomorrow, it's looking like another interesting one.

• Like 1

Upcoming guests.

MONDAY 30/03/15

Former Motherwell and Scotland defender Brian Martin will join us to reflect on his time at the club and discuss the current squad's fight for survival in the Scottish Premiership.

SUNDAY 05/04/15 -

Something a little different, Jack Paterson the editor of St Mirren magazine 'Black & White' will be our guest.

Two days before our crunch meeting with Saints at Fir Park we'll reflect on the meeting with Kilmarnock, preview the big game at Fir Park, discuss stewarding issues on previous visits to St Mirren and much more.

image.jpg

• Like 1

Another decent podcast chaps.

Re Well Society membership - I think it's worth stressing the point to non members (in case it got lost in the conversation) that if you initially sign up at £10 you DO get your membership card/number and right to vote straight away. For me, that is the most important part. The benefits, as Jay was pointing out, don't come until later when you have effectively paid up the full fee for whatever membership you chose. For me, not a huge issue in the delay but good to hear that is is being looked at to come up with a way of providing some level of benefit while you are paying up. It is a hard one though as you could cancel your DD at any time so I can understand why there is not an easy answer and the reluctance to release every benefit of the next level until paid.

• Like 1

It is a hard one though as you could cancel your DD at any time so I can understand why there is not an easy answer and the reluctance to release every benefit of the next level until paid.

See, this to me shouldn't be an issue. If you want to encourage people to join the Society, one way to do so is to gain their confidence that they can successfully run a professional football club by they themselves doing things professionally from the get go.

If I purchase any other good or service and choose to pay it up, I can't simply cancel my DD without the provider or seller having a position to take legal action. I'm not an expert on that side of things but it's par for the course and I see no reason why the same sort of situation could not be devised here - if the Society wants to be run professionally, it's the professional thing to do. Similarly with the payment methods - what's wrong with PayPal and other recognised methods used by professional organisations?

This is what frustrates me more than anything, we still seem to be in a situation where it's all hit and miss, a little bit amateurish, and at times feels like corners are cut. I don't want to get that kind of impression from a Society that will one day be running my football club.

Agreed on the benefits though, I've never bothered with them. My point was more that the current setup makes it far easier for a prospective member to just keep putting it off.

See, this to me shouldn't be an issue. If you want to encourage people to join the Society, one way to do so is to gain their confidence that they can successfully run a professional football club by they themselves doing things professionally from the get go.

If I purchase any other good or service and choose to pay it up, I can't simply cancel my DD without the provider or seller having a position to take legal action. I'm not an expert on that side of things but it's par for the course and I see no reason why the same sort of situation could not be devised here - if the Society wants to be run professionally, it's the professional thing to do. Similarly with the payment methods - what's wrong with PayPal and other recognised methods used by professional organisations?

This is what frustrates me more than anything, we still seem to be in a situation where it's all hit and miss, a little bit amateurish, and at times feels like corners are cut. I don't want to get that kind of impression from a Society that will one day be running my football club.

Agreed on the benefits though, I've never bothered with them. My point was more that the current setup makes it far easier for a prospective member to just keep putting it off.

I think you could quite easily devise a contract with legal consequences etc but that in itself would put people off I reckon? Do we want to go down the route? I know I probably wouldn't have signed up if I knew I had to pay every month with consequences if I didnt. Right now, if I legitimately couldn't afford it I could cancel it and set it up again in a few months with no problem.

Need to weigh up the risk of someone signing up for a higher level against the probability of them using the benefits then cancelling a DD before paying it all up. For example, if you get all the benefits straight away you could sign up at £10 a month for Steel in April, buy your season ticket in May and get 5% off then cancel your membership. Club would be down money in that instance.

Thats an extreme example and I would like to think the risk is not too great of it happening. However, there is a balance somewhere, just need to find it and as you say a bit of creative thinking required to provide benefits in some way rather than waiting 30 months (for Steel @ £10/pm) before getting them.

EDIT: It's probably a larger risk for the more expensive memberships. Another extreme example, pay 1 x £200 month at Amber, get 30% off hospitality the next month and then cancel it. Club is potentially down. Again, probably unlikely but all needs to be considered.

I think you could quite easily devise a contract with legal consequences etc but that in itself would put people off I reckon? Do we want to go down the route? I know I probably wouldn't have signed up if I knew I had to pay every month with consequences if I didnt. Right now, if I legitimately couldn't afford it I could cancel it and set it up again in a few months with no problem.

We'll have to agree to disagree because I just don't understand that at all. If I want to buy a car, a couch, a new laptop, or any other good or service but can only afford to do so via repayments, then there'd be no question of a legal commitment and the only way that would put anyone off would be if they couldn't afford it - in which case they shouldn't be buying whatever it is in the first place. At the moment, I think the chances of someone being lazy about it and putting off starting the repayments is far more likely than someone being put off by the type of repayment system they'd expect for anything else they were paying up. But again, we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

The underlying point for me is that the Society has to prove to people that it can run a professional football club to then expect the required numbers to invest. For me, things are still not appearing professional enough and continue to look a little haphazard which does nothing to encourage confidence.

All that said, all the noises the Society are making - both on the podcast and elsewhere - are positive and it seems they're hungry for ideas and opinions, so that's very much a good thing going forward.

• Like 1

Problem is you need to pay renewal fee to qualify for benefits. So if you instantly got your claret benefits when going from £300 steel membership via £10 monthly contributions then you could end up getting benefits that someone who has put in more than £1,000 is not getting because they haven't renewed. which isn't fair. it's not quite the same as buying a car in advance - it's more like a gym membership and you need to pay that over the course of a year because you get all the benefits within that year. but some Well Society upgrades take longer than a year, hence the difficulty with the current model

We are working on making it much simpler and also fair, and also to work within the original structure. hopefully we can announce it soon but it's been a difficult process because the original model didn't factor in gradual upgrades. There needs to be more milestones than 300, 1k, 5k, 25k, and some (free to deliver but valuable) benefits for those who are starting from scratch. hopefully have it in place soon

• Like 1

There is a way round it:

Current Steel (£300) member commits to £25 per month to upgrade to Claret & pays lump sum of £150 to cover the initial benefits package. Balance sitting at £475.

As they would get access to the benefits in year one as part of their £1,000 that's why the £150 is paid up front.

Over the next 11 months, £275 is collected in the monthly £25 DD. Balance sitting at £750

Then another annual £150 lump sum for the sub in year 2.

Another 10 months of £25 and £1,000 paid in full.

They get access to the addons today, the club gets it's £150 to cover them, WS get another £700.

• Like 1

Been listening to the podcast for the past couple of months now and just want to say how interesting it is hearing everyone's views from top to bottom in claret and amber. Getting old players on talking about there past careers with Well would be great and may also get a few more people listening.

Keep up the good work folks!!! :good:

• Like 2