Mfc Podcast

AndyRoss

Another excellent listen guys! Really interesting to hear Buffs thoughts/insight on the Bosman transfers of Lambert & McKinnon, tend to agree that we have never really recovered from it or adapted to make it work for us! Hopefully we are on the right road with our approach now!

• Like 1

Not sure how we could make Bosman work for us. The problem when we lost out on transfer fees is that large sums of money still changed hands - it just went into players (and agents) pockets instead.

We did do some clever cross border dealings with the likes of Coke and Porter, picking them up for nowt when transfers fees would have been required elsewhere. Also the Anier and Ojamaa signings were smart business deals.

Not sure how we could make Bosman work for us. The problem when we lost out on transfer fees is that large sums of money still changed hands - it just went into players (and agents) pockets instead.

We did do some clever cross border dealings with the likes of Coke and Porter, picking them up for nowt when transfers fees would have been required elsewhere. Also the Anier and Ojamaa signings were smart business deals.

The same way Dundee Utd and other teams have made it work for them? Pilfer promising youngsters from smaller clubs for buttons, tie them down on long term contracts and sell them on for millions. Andrew Robertson, Gary Mackay Steven etc.

Agree that we have done some smart business with the likes of the players you mentioned but we have always failed to command a decent fee for any players post Bosman, even Faddy left for buttons when you consider what Birmingham paid for him a couple of years later!

Like Les said in the podcast earlier in the month though, we weren't in the position to be demanding large fees, hopefully that will change!

Dundee Utd's strategy isn't really taking advantage of Bosman, though - it's countering the problems that Bosman generates. It's a high risk strategy and while it might generate the odd high price sale, until their latest outside investment, United were 3.5 million in debt even after their high profile transfers over the summer.

Having said that, I think our 2 year deal strategy was far too conservative, and glad to see the new owner has moved us towards tying up some of our promising youngsters on longer term deals.

For the first time, our guest on next week's podcast will be an opposition fan - St. Mirren season ticket holder & editor of the "Black and White" magazine Jack Paterson will be joining us ahead of the vital 'Well v Buddies clash on Tuesday night.

Hopefully it'll be another interesting and entertaining listen, with the opportunity to get an opposition fan's view of Motherwell and the current relegation battle.

One subject we also hope to cover and get a Saints perspective on will be the treatment of Motherwell fans at St. Mirren Park in the last few years.

If you want to remind yourself of what went on during those previous visits or just want some Friday reading as you're one of a handful of folk actually in work today:

'Well Fans, Not Criminals (the "kettling day"):
https://scrieve.wordpress.com/well-fans-not-criminals/

'Well Fans, Not Criminals II - The Return to Paisley (next visit to Paisley following the "kettling day"):
https://scrieve.wordpress.com/well-fans-not-criminals-ii-the-return-to-paisley/

The March of the Fluorescent Jackets II - The Stewards (stewarding in general, but references most recent visit to Paisley):
https://scrieve.wordpress.com/the-march-of-the-fluorescent-jackets-ii/

• Like 1

Edited the links, should be working now. Apologies for that.

We are recording a shorter podcast later in the week to look back on the St Mirren game and preview Thistle.

Next Monday Steelmen Online supremo Ian Buchanan will join us, as always if you fancy guesting on the podcast, want to provide feedback on any of the episodes or have a certain question asked or point raised get in touch via here, Facebook, Twitter or via email - bytheminmfc@gmail.com

Stopped working for me partway through though I have to say wasn't really enjoying the guy's chat anyway. Zero interest in the Buddies so my attention was wavering. Will try giving the rest of it a go after work is over tonight

I do think the podcast is a little St. Mirren heavy for a short period of time in the first half (although we always try to keep it as close to 'as live' as possible, so there's always a risk of not controlling what's being discussed or for how long). However, I think the stuff in the second half about the stewarding at St. Mirren Park and the subject of a potential new stadium for ourselves in the future is decent listening.

I reckon the opposition fan as guest idea will divide folk, but the intention was to have some more reasonable discussion, related mostly to Motherwell, while hopefully injecting a little bit of aggro or needle here and there before a big game. I think that balance was evident from this podcast, certainly a few points from the opposition that would irk 'Well fans I'd imagine. Certainly won't be a regular occurrence but I wouldn't be surprised if we bring another opposition fan on again in the future - adds a new dimension and keeps things varied and fresh.

But aye, have a listen to the end and let me know your thoughts - his comments about leaving for a new stadium and inevitably leaving behind your hopes, memories, passions etc certainly struck a chord with me and gave me a bit of the fear about our own potential moving one day!

Stopped working for me partway through though I have to say wasn't really enjoying the guy's chat anyway. Zero interest in the Buddies so my attention was wavering. Will try giving the rest of it a go after work is over tonight

There was about 10 - 15 mins in the middle there on the Buddies. We did recognize it was goin that way and changed the direction soon after.

Just listening to the podcast the now. The St Mirren fan's first line has already put me off the guy.

Edited to add: I found myself becoming more annoyed at the guy the more I listened. Despite being told the Bois are made up of folk of all ages he continually referred to them as "the kids at the end of the stand".

His point about trying to artificially replace something that we have lost in terms of atmosphere was also way wide of the mark imo and in many ways is typical of the attitude of some fans, particularly of a certain generation, who think to have atmosphere at a game of football it must conform to something they experienced when they went 20, 30 years ago. Times have changed, and the Bois are one of the few fans groups who are actually looking forward.

I don't want to be too harsh on the guy and he deserves credit for coming on, but I couldn't connect with much of what he had to say at all.

Mini rant over.

• Like 2

Perhaps a bit of a risk having a supporter of another club as a guest, but glad we did try it out. We've attempted to mix up the format in terms of guests from early on and this was another idea to do so.

Bit hard to read a few negative opinions, although certainly appreciate the feedback - if we don't know your thoughts then we can't improve things. So please do listen and if there's something you don't like - let us know.

Just listening to the podcast the now. The St Mirren fan's first line has already put me off the guy.

Edited to add: I found myself becoming more annoyed at the guy the more I listened. Despite being told the Bois are made up of folk of all ages he continually referred to them as "the kids at the end of the stand".

His point about trying to artificially replace something that we have lost in terms of atmosphere was also way wide of the mark imo and in many ways is typical of the attitude of some fans, particularly of a certain generation, who think to have atmosphere at a game of football it must conform to something they experienced when they went 20, 30 years ago. Times have changed, and the Bois are one of the few fans groups who are actually looking forward.

I don't want to be too harsh on the guy and he deserves credit for coming on, but I couldn't connect with much of what he had to say at all.

Mini rant over.

This is all good stuff mate, cheers for taking the time to post it and I can't really argue with any of it.

One of the reasons behind the opposition fan idea, as I mentioned above, was to try and add a new dimension where listeners maybe find themselves genuinely questioning or disagreeing the input from a supporter of the side we're about to play. I think your post shows that's exactly what's happened, albeit not on the points we'd originally expected.

Podcasts where we hear Brian Martin stories, ask Les Hutchison questions, or all agree on how good/poor we are at the time are all entertaining and interesting and really enjoyable to do, but there's also room for the odd bit of annoyance or aggro in my opinion...

• Like 1

What's difficult for me to understand is that he harked back to atmosphere of days past, then suggested that all fans in an all seater should sit down, for halcyon days to return to anything like he suggests (whole grounds buzzing) then there has to be a compromise somewhere, I'd put forward the idea of safe standing at either end of the East stand where folk can congregate like the bois and stand with their mates, but that's the future, at the moment folk standing with the stewards being reasonable about it is what we have and it works. The 'laddies making a din' comment pissed me off, also being searched at Fir Park is no big deal, I've been asked to participate in their searches twice at Fir Park, no big deal compared to the treatment we've had at St.Mirren park. Some things we knew already, the police won't interfere with a Celtic/Rangers crowd misbehaving just because of the volume, and pulling fans out would cause an incident so they're left to get on with it.
This isn't a knock at the podcast, more his opinions which certainly differ from mine.

I'll need to dig out Twads goals against Rangers at Fir Park

• Like 1

Can't argue with any of that Yabba, the way people try use the fact that some of the bois are young as a negative thing baffles me, but then i get annoyed when it is. It may also be fact in some cases, but the derogatory manner in which it is used gets my goat, as if it is a bad thing.

Growing up watching Motherwell the choir at the fence was the place to be, that's where the atmosphere was and it's where you aspired to 'get involved' you stood with your mates, slung insults at opposing fans at the other side of it, slaughtered the away team's wingers and sung all sorts of shite. There was a modicum of tut tutting from some 'well fans but that was our generation and when you went away you knew who to stand around with for the singing and banter, the end section is the spiritual home of the old choir now, the songs have changed but the attitude and participation remain the same, I was 20 when they seated the East stand but I'd still be in or around there is if was terracing. The main stand was for sitting down in a sanitised environment to watch and applaud, maybe it's just me, maybe it's a partisan attitude to all things Motherwell, but the idea that the bois are artificial and there's a singing section rubs me up the wrong way, knowing the history and what that section has become I found his comments a bit glib and prejudiced