Mfc Podcast

AndyRoss

I'm only halfway through, but I liked the idea of having an opposition fan on. It's good to get a different perspective, like many others I've drifted away from this forum a bit, and find you get better debate if there's a variety of opinions. I see a lot of the names from here on pie and bovril, or the TAMB.

It gets boring if everyone sees things through claret and Amber glasses other than a few trolls.

The St Mirren guy did appear to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder, but perhaps if he was on again he'd be a bit more relaxed?

Listened to most of the podcast on the way in to work this morning (ran out of time and still have the last 10 minutes to go) but even without having completed it much of what I had intended to post has already been covered.

I think the away fan idea is one that should continue on occasion. In years gone by one of the things I did for the 'Well programme was to try to get an away fan to give us their views. Now you always run the risk of the opposition punter being a bit of a fud (a Rangers fan one year memorably demanded payment for example) I always thought it was worthwhile as it gave an insight into a team and their support that you generally wouldn't have and it's always interesting to see how others view us. The podcast is a much more extensive and more modern extension to that.

The very fact that it has generated a fair bit of discussion and reaction on here, greater than many regular podcasts, suggests that it has a place in the grand scheme.

Again as already discussed above the main talking point for me was the atmosphere related chat from the Saints boy.In attempting to make what a was a fair point in general he very much lost his way when he tried to use Fir Park as an example It was an very poor choice of phrase to describe the Bois and to go on and attempt to have us believe that the atmosphere generated in Saints old crappy covered enclosure was real and spontanious yet the atmosphere generated in Motherwell's crappy old covered enclosure was artifical and manufactured was a bit laughable. The atmosphere down that section of the ground is of course no more manufactured and artificial than St Mirren fans used to make in their North Bank. In fact given his "observations" about the lack of atmosphere in Saints new name he might do well to study the evolution of the atmosphere at Fir Park.

• Like 2

The very fact that it has generated a fair bit of discussion and reaction on here, greater than many regular podcasts, suggests that it has a place in the grand scheme.

Yeah, I said pretty much this exact same thing to Sparra and Busta earlier - outwith the special guest podcasts, I think this one has sparked the most discussion and debate which is undoubtedly a good thing!

If you actually take what he said about St Mirren Park being like a "sterile hospital", it could be that his opinions of the Bois and atmosphere at Fir Park is more the result of jealousy rather than genuine viewpoints!

Having heard the 2nd half, the guy actually improved quite a bit.

I'm presuming the guy is 50+ which might explain why he came across a bit miserable.

(I only need to watch St Mirren 4 times a season and that depresses me! :lol: )

Don't think the guy meant any disrespect, just that the 3 regulars are all mates and on the same page most of the time, and the guests patter wasn't quite on the same page, probably due to being an outsider and presumably a bit older.

Don't think the guy meant any disrespect, just that the 3 regulars are all mates and on the same page most of the time, and the guests patter wasn't quite on the same page, probably due to being an outsider and presumably a bit older.

I think you'd be spot on there. I think all three of us are very pleased and proud of what we're doing with the podcast but I think the one thing that's always been a slight negative is there's often a lack of disagreement or debate. It happens occasionally of course and will no doubt happen in the future. Not that you want each podcast to be an argument and even when we all agree, I'd like to think it's still entertaining and interesting listening, but having someone on whose opinions are probably not going to naturally conform to your own has definitely been a good thing, and something we'll look to do again in the future.

We're constantly quite overwhelmed by just how positive the reaction has been to the podcast and how quickly we've attained about 1,000 listeners on average a week, but that doesn't mean we're not continually trying to improve it or come up with new ideas. Between your average fans as guests, special guests from the business side of the club, ex-players, and opposition fans, I think we're really doing well to cover a wide variety of aspects and churning out stuff that's hopefully enjoyable to listen to!

For the benefit of anyone who's missed the links this week as they've disappeared beneath the St. Mirren fan chat...

Soundcloud - https://soundcloud.com/bytheminsport/bytheminmfc-podcast-23

Libsyn - http://traffic.libsyn.com/bytheminmfc/Podcast22.mp3

(also on iTunes are usual)

Listening to it again now - boy was a bit of a fanny about the Danny Lennon thing. Think it was round about here it stopped working for me last time

Anyway, I'd always listened via the soundcloud Web link that gets posted here but I just downloaded the soundcloud app on my android and the difference in sound quality is amazing. Just a wee heads up for folks that usually listen on phone like I do

I think you'd be spot on there. I think all three of us are very pleased and proud of what we're doing with the podcast but I think the one thing that's always been a slight negative is there's often a lack of disagreement or debate. It happens occasionally of course and will no doubt happen in the future. Not that you want each podcast to be an argument and even when we all agree, I'd like to think it's still entertaining and interesting listening, but having someone on whose opinions are probably not going to naturally conform to your own has definitely been a good thing, and something we'll look to do again in the future.

Just to clarify, it certainly wasn't a criticism.

The fact you guys are effectively just 3 mates talking about the football is part of the charm.

Throwing "an outsider" in (for want of a better description) adds something different, which keeps it fresh.

Keep up the good work.

:ok:

Listening to it again now - boy was a bit of a fanny about the Danny Lennon thing.

I thought this too, he never really let Sparra get his point across which I thought was effectively he shouldn't have been allowed to leave. Something I am sure he agreed with as well.

Just had a listen, and once again, top effort guys. Was very different from any previous podcasts and that helps keep it fresh. Nice idea bringing in a fan of the opposition and wouldn't be against this format in future.

Even more keen to hump them tonight after listening as I did find him absolutely miles out in a lot of what he was saying!

:ph34r:

Actually excited for the Twaddle special! That should be "insightful" to say the least.

• Like 1

boy was a bit of a fanny about the Danny Lennon thing.

He was indeed, and also dead wrong. Non-renewal of four years' continuous employment is a dismissal in law - DL was sacked on any reading and St M have been mince ever since.

Think the idea of opposition fans is great, maybe just not the right personality for banter on this occasion. It was obvious that if any of his points were picked up on he would have gone off on one.

Glad I've come on here to read this thread again, was a bit downbeat on it initially but seems like changing up has worked - even if the guest maybe didn't quite come across that well.

Must say when we spoke afterwards he came across as a nice bloke - certainly wouldn't bad mouth someone who gives up their time to speak to us.

That broke up the afternoon nicely. Hadn't appreciated that we might not know our fixtures until 22nd April which is an obvious nightmare - the leniency towards Celtic potentially disrupting the rest of us.

Regards the discussion, the split is far from flawless but in conjunction with the playoffs, it is a positive addition to a 12 team league.

• Like 2