Mfc Podcast

AndyRoss

RE: Craig Moore, maybe the management/board feel he'd be better off getting a run of games at a lower level to see if he progresses, a bit like Erwin.

For me there's two ways you can look at the Moore thing.

1. The more favourable stance; he's a young player who's come back from a serious injury and being kind his scoring record last season wasn't great for us (2 starts + 8 off the bench: 0 goals) though he certainly came on and did a job, he's been given time pre-season and having looked at him over that time the manager's felt that he's still not ready to be a starter for us but it won't benefit him or help his development by regularly coming off the bench for 15 - 20 minutes. His loan, especially off the back of his injury, is more about him playing 90 mins of football every week and (hopefully) scoring goals which for better or worse, given the pressure the team/manager is under not to repeat last season, is an opportunity he wouldn't be afforded at Fir Park.

2. Is less kind; basically, he's out of contract at the end of the season, the manager has been at the club long enough and had him around the first team squad, given him some game time and has already made up his mind that he's not at the level he needs for the Premiership and that it's in the player's best interests to be loaned out, start games and score goals to put himself in the shop window and move on his wage this season to another club rather than have him just cutting about like the aforementioned McHugh (4 games last season; 1 start, 3 off the bench).

I guess it'll become apparent if he's offered a new contract or not.

Also re: the Les quote about youth, I don't buy/read the Daily Heil so am basing this on what you guys were saying, I completely agree that him coming out with statements that are open to interpretation like that publicly isn't helpful at all and it seems completely contrary to what we're consistently hearing from the manager/coaching staff and the club itself. What I would suggest is that a softer, more appropriate wording would have been for him to say that we've got a group of young players who are "talented but not ready for the first team yet".

Daily Mail

Cheers. Caught it now. Tend to avoid that rag like the plague.

Take it the comment in question is:

"He is working with Stephen on the Under-20s and, even now, trying to get another two or three players for the team because we haven’t got the young talent yet."

I don't think that is as critical of the U20's as is being made out. Yes we have some talent there, but by no means have we got a full squad of players ready to make the step up and go on to be a stand-out. For me, we should always be looking to improve our youth players.

We'll never know if we have the young talent if they are constantly bekng overlooked for signing new player's.

If the manager, his assistant, Stephen Craigan have voiced their concerns about the number of young players coming through then that puts a different slant on things, but I don't believe they are saying this - they come across very positively about future prospects.

I reckon if he has something to say it should come through the club and not the Daily Mail too, the Society email where they clarified their stance on the article suggests there was a lack of communication around this interview.

FWIW, My dad was speaking to Craigan at the Well Society team photo day.

Craigan, without naming any names, said he understood the cry from the fans to blood more of the youngsters, but the guys that are close to step up aren't quite there yet and need a bit more time.

On numbers alone, like I said my earlier post, we are definitely lacking. Playing U17s in the 20s is not an ideal development strategy.

FWIW, My dad was speaking to Craigan at the Well Society team photo day.

Craigan, without naming any names, said he understood the cry from the fans to blood more of the youngsters, but the guys that are close to step up aren't quite there yet and need a bit more time.

On numbers alone, like I said my earlier post, we are definitely lacking. Playing U17s in the 20s is not an ideal development strategy.

At what age are you ready for that step up though?

I'm more than happy to give the young players time, but buying on mass is hardly going to help their chances surely?

At what age are you ready for that step up though?

I'm more than happy to give the young players time, but buying on mass is hardly going to help their chances surely?

I think age is irrelevant, if the manager(I'm sure that's where Les Hutchison got the opinion from) feels that no one in the youth set up is ready to push for a place in the 1st team this year then you have to trust that judgement.

If they are ready next year great, some players don't develop until they reach mid twenties.

The main argument from me though was why did he feel the need to make it public? He rarely attends first-team games never mind U20's games and no doubt we're about the time he swans off back to Barbados while the management team repair the effects of his comments.

I'm wary of any 'quotes' that appear in the tabloids as it is so easy to take things out of context. I'm wary of the Daily Mail even more so.

He seems pretty open, though, so I'm sure if someone asked him what he meant, he wouldn't hesitate to tell them.

There's not many humble billionaires, sadly. And even fewer humble football club owners.

But if fans don't like him, then even more reason to support the Society and take over his shares.

Although, the fans haven't exactly been full.of praise for our squad recently, either.

I'm wary of any 'quotes' that appear in the tabloids as it is so easy to take things out of context. I'm wary of the Daily Mail even more so.

He seems pretty open, though, so I'm sure if someone asked him what he meant, he wouldn't hesitate to tell them.

I'd be worried if he thinks his target market reads the Daily Heil.

• Like 1