Baraclough Out

Bop

Think he has until January at least had a poor start but once he got his signings in things improved. part of the reason we ended up in 11th was because ross county went on the run no one foresaw. I'm not 100% sold but he should be allowed to get his own squad before being shown out the door.

Edited by keebo86

Don't know if anyone caught Craigan's comment on BT Sport yesterday.

Presenter - Stephen, what is the one big thing that Ian Baraclough has done to improve this Motherwell team.

Craigan - Stephen Robinson

Don't know if anyone caught Craigan's comment on BT Sport yesterday.

Presenter - Stephen, what is the one big thing that Ian Baraclough has done to improve this Motherwell team.

Craigan - Stephen Robinson

All part of the major overhaul to the club after SMC and black left, new assistant manager, new fitness coach, boardroom stability etc, I think we will see the benefit of it all next season.

I was disappointed that this thread was ever started and I am still a bit mystified at the criticism he has received. When he took over in early December, I felt that top flight survival would be a massive success and he has achieved that.

It is old ground now but at the time the injury list was at crisis levels, experienced players like McManus and Lasley were playing with little or no confidence, players like Ainsworth and Vigurs were going through the motions and there was a massive feeling of lethargy about the club.

He is articulate and calm in interviews (a fault according to some of the fans), he has given the young players a chance, individual players have improved gradually since January (McManus, Lasley and Ainsworth being prime examples), he has brought in a whole new structure to the club (fitness coach, assistant manager) and brought in players in January that improved the squad significantly. Johnston looks like a great signing, Long showed in the last two games the potential he has, Grant is a very tidy, talented young player and Laing has I am sure a big future in the game.

He has signed Dom Thomas on a long term deal and Erwin now has a reputation that few could have imagined pre Christmas.

Then there is Pearson and McDonald. Again a section of the support were not prepared to give Baraclough any credit for these signings but lets not forget that McCall did not take up the option of Pearson back in the summer.

To top it all off he has brought us the first victory against Rangers at Ibrox since 1997 and the first Firpark win since 2003. Billy Davis, Terry Butcher, Jim Gannon, Mark McGhee, Craig Brown and Stuart McCall (amongst others) have all held the managers seat in that time.

I wanted Van der Gaag as the Motherwell manager so I have no hidden agenda but I think that Baraclough has done an outstanding job and has given this Well fan the best 3/4 days as a supporter since the 1991 Cup Semi final and Final.

Congratulations Ian Baraclough. Onwards and upwards!!

• Like 14

It's not been a smooth ride but there have been signs of progress. Might have done it the hard way with many let downs on the way but came through a massive challenge with the play off and now with whole backroom team in place the chance to really put his mark on the team. The SPL outside of Celtic is generally a matter of small small margins so without wishing to set targets we clearly want to be no where near the relegation battle, be more than happy to settle for being in the mix for top 6 and a decent run in at least one of the cups but you never know if we can go from second to second bottom who is to say we couldn't bounce back just as high? That being said I expect Aberdeen to likely be best of the rest again but after them there is little between most of the rest, a few early wins and we could be flying(and vice versa of course).

I've been as critical as many at times about certain games, certain decisions made, etc etc, but at the root of it all I have always been of the view that the reason we have looked utterly honking this season isn't because Barra was incapable of doing the job, but rather because he was starting from a lot further down that many of us realised.

I think, especially in hindsight, that we as a fanbase have drastically underestimated (or just not been aware of) just how messed up the club was when he took over...and how much he's had to do.

I genuinely congratulate the guy not just for the playoffs, but for keeping us in the league whilst at the same time making a huge dent in a lot of the other problems we faced at the club. Many managers may have come in and ensured we avoided the play-offs, but it would have been at the expense of all the other good work that has been done.

I'm happy, and greatly relieved to be able to feel positive about next season, which I sincerely do.

I've been as critical as many at times about certain games, certain decisions made, etc etc, but at the root of it all I have always been of the view that the reason we have looked utterly honking this season isn't because Barra was incapable of doing the job, but rather because he was starting from a lot further down that many of us realised.

I'm happy, and greatly relieved to be able to feel positive about next season, which I sincerely do.

Absolutely Al. Stuart McCall is a decent guy but he left us in a poor state. His squad rebuilding decisions over the past 2 years proved to be very poor. Off the field too, I suspect things were not as they could have been.

Not expecting miracles next season but hopefully we can achieve at least one decent cup run and higher league placing - 7/8/9 place will do me.

It promises to be an interesting summer on the transfer front with a good bit of rebuilding to do. Ian Baraclough will have the opportunity to rebuild at the right time and not having to firefight during the difficult January window. Targets were identified as far back as January so matters are already in hand.

Will be renewing my season ticket shortly. The Play Off Final games seem to rekindled interest among many fans.

Will be renewing my season ticket shortly. The Play Off Final games seem to rekindled interest among many fans.

That is a good point, one of my real concerns if we went down was that any "good feeling" would be lost and as a result season ticket sales and WellTrust membership would stall or even reduce.

I'm looking forward to what sort of a team we have next season but it has to be remembered that our budget was pushed out in January and the signings he will be making will be more in line with a sustainable budget - that should make it interesting.

I'm looking forward to what sort of a team we have next season but it has to be remembered that our budget was pushed out in January and the signings he will be making will be more in line with a sustainable budget - that should make it interesting.

Whilst that is undoubtedly true, there were quite a few players who hardly featured for one reason or another after the January sales, or even before. ZFA, Vigurs, Cummins, McHugh, Lawson, Reid, and Nathan Thomas. Their wages would amount to a few hundred thousand over the course of a season. We did have a bloated squad but in reality many were simply names on a wages sheet.

Next season I'd expect a smaller but more settled squad with hopefully less passengers and injuries.

Quite simply, some of the Well fans - they don't try + he's tactically naive + lost the dressing room + I'll no' be back - need to have a look at themselves. There has been some amount of shi-ite spoken on here.

No wonder I am the only one of my group that comes on here.

Quite simply, some of the Well fans - they don't try + he's tactically naive + lost the dressing room + I'll no' be back - need to have a look at themselves. There has been some amount of shi-ite spoken on here.

Ah! The uber-fan debate! No wonder?

Plenty of change since I last commented on the subject... Replacing Kenny Black which has ensured a new broom sweeps clean outlook, amongst other things behind the scenes which bode well for the future. The performance level & end result in the recent play off has given him a platform to build on, thus, buying him some time for me.

He's got the backing of those most influential at the club, needs to practise what he preaches. Let's just see how he goes without the need to castigate fellow fans who show temerity in having a different opinion?

• Like 2

Get them involved. Let's hear their version of events. No one needs to stay away cos some folk talk balls.

• Like 5