Baraclough Out

Bop

In case anyone hasn't seen it, this was his general response to last nights game;

"There isn't anybody that works any harder at their job to try to get success for them. That's what you do as a manager, work every hour God sends to try to get a result.

"We are doing the right things in the information we give them, we do the right things in training. We just asked them there. They all said they are more than happy with the way they are treated and the work they do.

"When they step over the white line they have to be confident they can affect the game, not just drift through it."

The Motherwell boss revealed angry words had been exchanged in the dressing room at Cappielow.

"There comes a stage where you have to say 'enough is enough'," Baraclough said. "I hope one or two are maybe thinking 'I haven't got many more chances'.

"We had to get something off our chest. We try to be calm and calculated but tonight was a night for the outpouring of emotion and how I feel about, not just this evening, but how we need to be to win games of football.

"I look at the difference between (our players and) Samuel, who fought for every morsel of the ball he could get for this team, and that wasn't there for us in the first half. It improved second half, we got on top of the game, but we gave ourselves a mountain to climb."

Now, it may just be me, but those don't sound like the words of a man who's either quitting or who believes he's due to get bumped.

In case anyone hasn't seen it, this was his general response to last nights game;

Now, it may just be me, but those don't sound like the words of a man who's either quitting or who believes he's due to get bumped.

To be honest, I wouldn't really have expected him to say anything different to the press. If it were me I certainly wouldn't be coming out saying I had doubts about my position or my ability to turn things around. Certainly not if I had any intention of continuing my career in my current line of work.

His comment about players being on their last chance, unfortunately for football managers it's never the players who are on their last chance. The only outcome from that position is that the manager leaves his position. If not now, it'll be in a month or two.

Ultimately it's up to the club to advance this, I mentioned in another post that it's pretty weak if they're waiting on the manager to do their job for them and it is. They employed him, it's their responsibility.

His comment about players being on their last chance, unfortunately for football managers it's never the players who are on their last chance. The only outcome from that position is that the manager leaves his position. If not now, it'll be in a month or two.

Unless he makes the unprecedented move of actually dropping those who are continually dropping us in the shit.

He seems like he has a very strong level of backing from the upper management, so I think he could actually drop the likes of McManus and get away with it. The truth is, he's not got much to lose at this point. May as well go out all guns blazing and all that.

Ainsworth is working as hard as he has since he's been with us

Just wanted to pick up on this point, as it's something I've been impressed with this season. I was very critical of Ainsworth's attitude at times last season, but this year he looks like a different player, and seems to really be working hard to help the team. Sure, he's still a rather slight winger, so he's not going to go steaming into challenges like Lasley, but his workrate has come on leaps and bounds.

I've been all for giving Baraclough time to turn things around, but rather than showing signs of improvement, we seem to be getting worse with each passing week. I don't think we have a team of cut rate players. Even guys like Johnson looked like they had something about them last season, and in the very occasional flash this year, but there seems to be a lack of confidence or clarity as to what the manager is asking for.

I still believe there's a decent team in there somewhere, but it's looking increasingly likely that Baraclough isn't the guy to get them playing to their strengths, as he either can't see what they are, or refuses to change his approach. Either way, if the stories are true about players moaning about the manager behind his back, that's extremely worrying, and reminiscent of the Gannon era.

I was really hoping it would click and things would start falling into place, but unfortunately it seems to be going the other way.

EDIT: I wrote this a couple of hours ago but forgot to hit send. I should really have refreshed before posting!

Hopefully Craigan and Robinson get the reigns in the short term at least......

Motherwell Football Club has today (Wednesday) parted company with manager, Ian Baraclough.

The Board of Directors would like to sincerely thank Ian for his great efforts last season and keeping the club in the SPFL Premiership for this very important season in the Club history, with the 130th anniversary and the 25th anniversary of the 1991 Scottish Cup celebrated at the end of the season.

The Board will immediately commence the search for a new manager.

In the interim, current Under 20s boss Stephen Craigan, along with Stephen Robinson and Jim Hollman, will handle first-team affairs.

Genuinely didn't think we would do that, but glad we have taken action.

It's a strange one as I genuinely think across the fanbase there's no actual dislike, which is rare when getting rid is such a sweeping view, but I think for the most part everyone really liked him and wanted things to work out, I certainly did. Just a case of good guy who didn't have what was needed.

• Like 2