Baraclough Out

Bop

The football under Butcher was miles better than anything we've seen at Fir Park over the last two years. We were a good team the two seasons we finished top six with a a great core, Corrigan, Hammell, Craigan, O'Donnell, Leitch, Foran, McBride (before he got injured), McDonald, Clarkson. We underperformed the next season but still score a lot of goals and think about the 4-4 game with Celtic compared to the torture we endured last Saturday.

was more enjoyable to watch that 'mince' than most of the seasons since

I still think that was due to the expectation of the fans though. If Butcher had produced the same performances after, say, McGhee left the club, he'd have been out after season 1. The whole "we're all in it together" mentality, which was galvanized by Butcher's presence, meant fans were a lot more forgiving (which was a good thing). Suddenly, it wasn't just about playing nice football or winning games - it became about survival as a club and the identity of a town.

And none of this is knocking Butcher. My position has always been he was the right man at the right time and I'm glad he was there when he was. I just think he gets an easier ride because of the circumstances. McGhee was slated for the way he left the club, but he was much more up front and honest than Butcher was in that regard.

Overall, though, just one more reason to make the most of enjoying our good seasons, because most years are going to be mediocre at best.

• Like 1

I quite enjoyed Butcher's time at the club thinking back, will always remember him for the run to the CIS final (with the exception of the final) and for Skippy Sunday being one of my best days as a Well fan. The likes of the 4-4 against Celtic and the 5-4 loss to Dundee Utd were much more entertaining than some of the recent crap we have watched and he had a decent cup record. Although the 02-03 season wasnt the best beating both old firm and thumping 6 past Hearts were very enjoyable too

Although the 02-03 season wasnt the best beating both old firm and thumping 6 past Hearts were very enjoyable too

We were completely bi-polar that season!

If I recall correctly the 6-1 humping of livi on the last day of the season was our 1st win of the season against a team in the bottom 6, but we had beaten everyone in the top 6.

We were completely bi-polar that season!

If I recall correctly the 6-1 humping of livi on the last day of the season was our 1st win of the season against a team in the bottom 6, but we had beaten everyone in the top 6.

Aye. I always remember saying that we beat every top six team, and none in bottom six. The Motherwell way, I suppose.