Baraclough Out

Bop

If Kenny Black was still in at the club I'd show Baraclough the door and put him in charge again. A lot of people don't have time for him here but the facts remain our only satisfactory performance all season was when he was in charge and he took, I think, 4 points in 4 matches.

With Black gone and Robinson brought in it complicates matters a bit.

If Baraclough is sacked we basically have to head hunt someone and have them ready to come in immediately. We can't have another interview process so soon after the last one.

Did you see the amount of consulting Baraclown that he did in the dug out today with Gordon Marshall (!!)...the fucking goalkeeping coach....and bringing Scott Leitch into things isn't helping.

Stephen Kenny, Pat Fenlon, now this dick, these guys have won things in a mickey mouse league.

The guy is a joke...."we have to keep winning individual battles, bond with each other, not be afraid of mistakes" no arsehole, we have to put the ball in the goals and stop conceding simple goals by shutting down the crosses coming in and playing a system that the players can work to. We have all these wingers and he plays Erwin in the wing!?.

I feel sorry for Ferguson and Watt as Straker is the worst left back we have ever had.

Baraclown must go and those who appointed him, hang your heads.

As for a replacement...no idea, just someone with knowledge of the Scottish game and a ready made assistant who he has worked with recently.

Our decision appointing Baraclough is coming home to roost. As much as we like to malign the views of our own support there was a sense of "oh well that was a bit disappointing" when Baraclough was announced over MVdG. It would appear that same sense of "oh well" has permeated into the playing squad also - despite the support thinking we couldnt get more apathetic.

We choose Baraclough because he sounds positive, nurturing and gentle mannered - good at stroking all the ego's of McCall's horrendously aging squad.

The selection panel were obviously working under the premise of not wanting to rock the boat too much, so we persisted with Black and the rest of the backroom staff and brought in Ian the glove puppet for that extra morning cuddle and then another on the way out as the players head home at 12.

I, like many others on here, were hounded down at the time for saying that this was exactly what we did not need.

The club and playing staff had been in a malaise like I have never encountered in all my time as a Motherwell Supporter when Baraclough came in. We needed someone that was prepared to upset a few people, tell some home truths and quite frankly make the players a little bit nervous.

I remember hearing an interview with Klopp of Dortmund a couple of years ago when he compared his managerial style in comparison to UK based managers as "rock and roll versus Classical Music". It sounds like managerial speak however the mentality of bringing someone who does not want to simply adjust, but rather rip up the book of what we have been doing and start again was exactly what we needed.

We took the wrong approach at the wrong time with poor insight and understanding of the state of the club and its playing staff and now the decision is coming home to roost.

Is it too late this season to change it? Possibly yes.

Would I immediately seek to appoint a new manager on Sunday evening, yes.

Whether we go into the last 10 games battling for survival or bowing out with a whimper depends on a completely revitalised mindset at the club and that, starts at the top down; as it does in any line of business.

It looks to me like the players and media have had him sussed as a bullshitter from the start.

Aye and great oneos to comment are the players. Most of them, the younger guys and injured excepted, are a bunch of frauds bigger than Baraclough may prove to be.. If any of us were as feckless as they have been we would be out on our arse with no wages due as not being fit for the job contract or not

• Like 1

His signings are shite. Not one of them has impressed me. The keeper is no better than twardzik. Straker or whatever his name is , is possibly the worst player I've ever seen at the club. The centre half looks awful and the rest offer nothing.

I hope vigurs, Lawson etc are back fit soon as we need them back in the team and these imposters out.

Appointing a manager is always a risk, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. No one could tell at the interview stage that Baraclough would sign an Anthony Straker, put out weird formations and selections or play the sort of football that was put out of its misery 30 years ago. The board does not have a crystal ball and I think some of the criticism of them for appointing Baraclough is a bit unfair.

I will say this though, when we've had a poor manager the club has generally dealt with it pretty quickly. Malpas didn't last a year and Gannon was shown the door within a couple of months.

Hopefully the club has the courage and strength to make a similar decision. If not, then the criticism of the board goes from being unfair to completely valid.

One of those old saying my granny used to say was "After success comes a fall". I've been thinking about it and how true it is.

The season after the Scottish Cup win was one of the worst in my Motherwell supporting time and that was a team filled with quality players. We had guys like Bobby Russell and Davie Cooper, 'Well legends like Stevie Kirk and Dougie Arnott, Jamie Dolan, Chris McCart etc etc.

Most of those players went on to play for a team that could, and maybe should have strangled Rangers 9 in a row aspirations and won the League Championship and was probably the best Motherwell team I've ever, and most likely, will ever see.

Yet after we finished 2nd under McLeish with the same team (albeit miles off Rangers this time), the team fell apart and there was some very bleak years ahead of us.

Now we've had last years 2nd place finish and the attendant collapse afterwards.

It's interesting and surely not a coincidence that these three high watermarks in my Motherwell supporting career have been followed up with disasterous seasons.

There must be some kind of psychological factor at play here.

OK - so barring a major turnaround it is looking like the appointment of Barraclough is not going to work out.

Without knowing his contract situation - it is difficult to say what the club will do or realistically can do. I hope they gave him a contract to the end of the season with a guarantee that if he kept us up he would get a 2 year deal. My fear is that we have already given him a 1 or 2 year deal in which case we are almost in an Ally McCoist scenario, hoping he walks before he is pushed. Again I hop it is the former.

If I was the Board I would have a plan B for this week or at the very latest after the Caley game should we lose, which right now seems inevitable.

What is plan B though. Dare I say Paw Broon. Unlikely given the history, but as the saying goes beggars cannot be choosers. He may not want the job till the summer, but we NEED someone who can make the players into a semblance of a football team and set up to be harder to beat and with at least an outside chance of getting a point or 3.

If not Paw Broon then who else could we turn too????

If not Paw Broon then who else could we turn too????

I think Brown is probably retired now and wouldn't be interest. He's come in and rescued us once before and has nothing to prove.

I'd take Jimmy Calderwood. I think he is much maligned but his record is pretty good and he's sucessfully done End of Season Save Us From Relegation jobs with Kilmarnock and Ross County.

For me it's a no brainer.

Get him to fuck now. I know its early days with regards the new signings but the vast majority of them look honking. Even if by some miracle he does manage to keep us up this season, does anyone trust him to sign what will in effect be pretty much a whole new squad for next season?

I don't blame the board for his appointment, he talked a good game but I will most definitely blame them if we keep sleep walking in to the abyss. Time to act.

Get him to fuck now. I know its early days with regards the new signings but the vast majority of them look honking. Even if by some miracle he does manage to keep us up this season, does anyone trust him to sign what will in effect be pretty much a whole new squad for next season?

I don't blame the board for his appointment, he talked a good game but I will most definitely blame them if we keep sleep walking in to the abyss. Time to act.

Nail on head Bop. Exactly my feelings on the whole sorry affair.

The problem is that the board have obviously invested in his 'vision' for the club, to the extent that we actually paid a fee for a player for the first time since around 1976. I can't see the board punting him, but if they do its not as if we can just call van der Gaag up and ask him if he's still interested.

The most likely scenario, if he does go, will be that he does so under his own steam. We'll then be left with a Leitch/Johansson dream team to see out the inevitable.