Baraclough Out

Bop

It looks worrying that the players are already Downing tools, despite his calm and collected persona, he isn't a popular figure in the dressing room. The team isn't behind him and the fans are turning. He won't be sacked under any circumstances however, so get a comfy place to watch our season disintegrate In front of you.

Love it when this chat starts. We watch plays week in week out make the same mistakes. Poor decision making in good areas, allowing wingers and midfield players to ghost past them, misplaced passes over 10 yards etc, etc then we discover that it's all because the players don't like the manager and they are 'downing tools'.

Think how good these players would be if they liked the manager. Maybe just as good as they were at the start of last season, after all they all loved Stuart McCall.

Love it when this chat starts. We watch plays week in week out make the same mistakes. Poor decision making in good areas, allowing wingers and midfield players to ghost past them, misplaced passes over 10 yards etc, etc then we discover that it's all because the players don't like the manager and they are 'downing tools'.

Think how good these players would be if they liked the manager. Maybe just as good as they were at the start of last season, after all they all loved Stuart McCall.

They clearly didn't love McCall at the end.

Malpas to McGhee and Gannon to Brown showed what a change in manager can do for a squad. Just now we have a guy playing at right back who is killing us every week and who we are going to have to pay for another 22 months, we are choosing to be out numbered in midfield despite missing our only real mobile midfielder and we have a guy with over 100 goals in Scottish football playing in midfield so a conference striker can play up front.

The manager bears responsibility for this.

• Like 1

We should have sacked him in June.

If he loses to Killie we have to get rid of him, having a manager who is basically a dead man walking is no use to anyone.

But we didn't sack him in June.

So today, we are where we are. Instead of dealing with hypotheticals - as much fun as that can be - it's the reality that needs to be addressed.

It's still early days in the grand scheme of things and I don't care who the gaffer is, we needed a lot of fixing that isn't going to happen in August. He's built his team, he's had his pre-season so now he needs some time to prove it's working.

To sack him before September would be madness.

• Like 1

Truth be told, things probably have improved since last season. The question though, is have they improved enough?

We had a few runs when we were getting pumped three or four nil last year. We are in a run of losing by one or two goals. If it goes on for too long, it will still get us relegated. We are not in a good league. When we have a decent result (Inverness) or what is perceived as a decent performance (Dundee Utd) other results show that we are really clutching at straws and we are genuinely struggling. I doubt we will be as lucky as last year and find one of our rivals is as weak as St Mirren were. Perhaps Killie but they will no doubt punt Locke in the very near future and may well improve from there.

Have the issues in our team been sorted from last season? Goalkeeper looks still a bit suspect, right back is hopeless, left back is past it, Central defence is looking stronger but we are still poor at defending corners, midfield still gets overrun because our captain has not got the legs anymore, we play two wingers who don't do enough when we don't have the ball and therefore leave the under performing full backs and central midfield with too much to do and the goalkeeper and central defence over exposed. Our best attacking player is short on fitness (an issue throughout his career) and is having to drop too deep to help the struggling midfield and the two new strikers are either injured or left to fend for themselves in a thankless lone striker role. On the bright side, as well as probably shipping fewer goals than last season, we are creating chances, though unfortunately we are not taking enough of them.

We have moved on and we are in a better place. It seems to me that it is only fair to give the current management and coaching team some more time to see if they can take us forward to where this improvement is seen in terms of points and wins. What is clear though, is that the rebuilding is not yet over and we need cover or replacements in a couple of crucial areas. The clock is ticking and if we continue to lose then any confidence that the side currently has will go and it will be a serious struggle to stay up.

Truth be told, things probably have improved since last season. The question though, is have they improved enough?

We had a few runs when we were getting pumped three or four nil last year. We are in a run of losing by one or two goals. If it goes on for too long, it will still get us relegated. We are not in a good league. When we have a decent result (Inverness) or what is perceived as a decent performance (Dundee Utd) other results show that we are really clutching at straws and we are genuinely struggling. I doubt we will be as lucky as last year and find one of our rivals is as weak as St Mirren were. Perhaps Killie but they will no doubt punt Locke in the very near future and may well improve from there.

Have the issues in our team been sorted from last season? Goalkeeper looks still a bit suspect, right back is hopeless, left back is past it, Central defence is looking stronger but we are still poor at defending corners, midfield still gets overrun because our captain has not got the legs anymore, we play two wingers who don't do enough when we don't have the ball and therefore leave the under performing full backs and central midfield with too much to do and the goalkeeper and central defence over exposed. Our best attacking player is short on fitness (an issue throughout his career) and is having to drop too deep to help the struggling midfield and the two new strikers are either injured or left to fend for themselves in a thankless lone striker role. On the bright side, as well as probably shipping fewer goals than last season, we are creating chances, though unfortunately we are not taking enough of them.

We have moved on and we are in a better place. It seems to me that it is only fair to give the current management and coaching team some more time to see if they can take us forward to where this improvement is seen in terms of points and wins. What is clear though, is that the rebuilding is not yet over and we need cover or replacements in a couple of crucial areas. The clock is ticking and if we continue to lose then any confidence that the side currently has will go and it will be a serious struggle to stay up.

Good summation. When Law was offered a two year contract I was surprised. I honestly felt and still feel that that's one of the weakest areas in our team.

I'd love to be able to vary my performance at work depending on whether or not I liked my boss at the time.

Its often not a case of wanting to vary your performance Al - it just happens. Some bosses undermine their staff, don't trust them, shout abuse at them, constantly criticise them, or embarrass them. In such circumstances its very hard indeed to stay motivated. I was fortunate in my career that most of my managers were fine but the odd one demotivated me big time and that wasn't a conscious choice on my part.

You're describing an employee being bullied by their superior at work though, do you seriously think that's a possibility here? If you don't then it's completely irrelevant. We're talking about an employee not liking or not agreeing with a manager and the way things are done. If anyone in that position ever ends up being someones boss then they will get the chance to put their own methods in place, but for now you're an employee and the boss wants things done a certain way...get on with it or go somewhere else.

• Like 2

I've had managers I didn't like or agree with from time to time but yes I just got on with it - call it being professional if you like.

I have absolutely no idea of the relationship between Ian Baraclough and his players. What we have heard may just be rumours.

I don't want to come across as the grammar polis but please use commas, full stops or take a new line when you start a new sentence. Reading that gave me a sore head...

Commas and fulls stop who needs those things it just clutters up sentances and whilst it might seem a bit kneejerk I'd be sorely tempted to agree that failure to beat a woeful Killie side to make it 5 winless games is evidence enough that Barraclough just hasn't got it yes there has been improvement from where we were last season but he doesn't seem to be able to instil enough confidence in this squad to grit out results get it done tonight and saturday however and willing to give him another decent handful of games to prove the doubters wrong but I reckon we really need to win the next two and get on a bit of a run I don't want to see us limp to one or two half decent results then lose a few and repeat.

• Like 1

Footballers are pampered pricks who never seem to realise how lucky they are. They get paid too much for a part time job and can decide when to down tools. I've had managers who were total dicks or incompetent but I still worked my ass off so they would leave me alone and keep the customer happy.

• Like 1