Baraclough Out

Bop

It was almost inevitable that we'd part company this week.

Good luck to him in the future. Not currently cut out for management at this level but will always be grateful for Ibrox. Far better managers than him couldn't have handled the playoffs with the composure and determination that Baraclough exhibited.

Funny you say that as I was just thinking that parting company now is probably in his best interests, Morton game aside he's in the position where he's still got a not bad win % (35%-ish I think), he can go to whichever club he approaches next say he kept us up and point to The Battering of The Rangers as his career highlight which was broadcast nationally.

If he was to have dragged it out and kept losing things would obviously have looked worse.

Good luck to the guy, I've no doubt he did his best. In a way I think he's been let down a lot by certain individuals at the club but a more clued up strong manager wouldn't have let that happen.

We need a manager that'll rattle some cages and not ask players to give too much of an opinion....they need telt!!

I see you where you are coming from with that but the counter argument is that the extra time on the training ground and a few matches which are basically shots to nothing are worth more than a couple of hidings which no one (and i can guarantee not even me) will blame the new man for.

Every season the clock is ticking from day one, every game and training session has value. Waiting a few weeks or writing off games is the wrong way to go about things. You can never get that time back.

Indeed, and I don't really disagree...however to be fair the club doing their business so swiftly was completely unexpected in this house, which I would have included as the ideal option for me. I fully expected Baraclough to be in the job against Partick and Dundee and to lose them both, so my thoughts were based around a change happening between Dundee and Celtic at the earliest.

As it's turned out we have the chance to have that "bounce" from two winnable games coming up, and lessen the impact of the Celtic and Aberdeen games. Best case scenario under the circumstances...not often we can say that. Good that we have taken action quickly.

Stat people...what was Baraclough's overall win % and where does it leave him against all the others?

Assuming Ya Bezzer will have that to hand as is usually quick with the stats

Wiki has it as 35.29% not sure if that includes last night though.

P W D L

34 12 5 17

Same number of games as he managed at Scunthorpe co-incidentally.

Stat people...what was Baraclough's overall win % and where does it leave him against all the others?

Win/loss doesn't give a clear picture due to top six, bottom six and only managing through one full round of league fixtures.

He played 10 games against Partick, St Mirren and Killie but only 6 against Celtic, Aberdeen and United.

It was 35 for Baraclough , Mizu was 30 at Hibs and 44 at Killie , Baraclough won 12 from 34 , Mixu 15 from 34 at Killie , baffling that he's desired by some or considered succesful if you ask me

according to wiki

His league win percentage was 30%, 9 wins in 30 matches.

3 of those 9 wins came in a three week period against three struggling teams (St. Mirren, Kilmarnock, Hamilton). Take that period out of the equation and it was down to a 22% win ratio.

Since the 5-0 win against St.Mirren he had only managed 3 wins in 14 in the league (21%). In those 14 games we only scored more than 1 goal once, and kept only 3 clean sheets.

Perhaps more importantly was this overall league loss percentage was 53% due to a small number of drawn matches, (57% loss percentage in last 14).

His league win percentage was 30%, 9 wins in 30 matches.

3 of those 9 wins came in a three week period against three struggling teams (St. Mirren, Kilmarnock, Hamilton). Take that period out of the equation and it was down to a 22% win ratio.

Since the 5-0 win against St.Mirren he had only managed 3 wins in 14 in the league (21%). In those 14 games we only scored more than 1 goal once, and kept only 3 clean sheets.

Perhaps more importantly was this overall league loss percentage was 53% due to a small number of drawn matches, (57% loss percentage in last 14).

Nice stats but why would you take out St Mirren, Kilmarnock and Hamilton? If you're doing that then you should take out defeats to Celtic, Aberdeen and ICT from last season. Do those wins not matter as much (in fact the opposite is true at our end of the table)

FFS, there's taking stats to take your side of things then there is taking stats to take the absolute pish! You either give the whole win ratio - which by the way is a stupid stat to judge a manager by as a manager with 1 win 0 draws and 9 defeats has the same win ratio as a manager with 1 win 9 draws and 0 defeats - or you don use it at all

• Like 2

If you're doing that then you should take out defeats to Celtic, Aberdeen and ICT from last season. Do those wins not matter as much (in fact the opposite is true at our end of the table)

Just to be pedantic, Baraclough had a 100% win ratio against John Hughes which is about 100% more than Mark McGhee managed against him.

FFS, there's taking stats to take your side of things then there is taking stats to take the absolute pish! You either give the whole win ratio - which by the way is a stupid stat to judge a manager by as a manager with 1 win 0 draws and 9 defeats has the same win ratio as a manager with 1 win 9 draws and 0 defeats - or you don use it at all

That's actually a decent point. Points per game and goal differential would give a better picture.

On the general point of stats they are going to come massively into Football over the next few years and the big clubs are already doing it. Advanced stats completely changed Baseball and Basketball and there are a lot of statisticians in the USA trying to build models which can have the same effect on Football.

Pretty disgusted today. The Motherwell players have a history of downing tools within the last 12 months alone and it seems like they may have been at it again.

Something stinks within that dressing room. Very Jim Gannon like in the way it has ended as well. If Baraclough has had a go at one or two then good on him. The word imposter has been used alot on this thread but I believe Baraclough had the interests of the club at heart. I think there are players in that dressing room that could not say the same.

Player power wins again. Just think how powerful they would be if they were any good!!

• Like 1

Yeah agree stats are huge in sports, especially American but then again in the US Big 3 the chances of a draw are almost 0. It's easier to do a win ratio when the result is 99% of the time a win or loss. None of these pesky draws. When grading a manager I think

Points Won

Points Won %

Loss Percentage

Are better overall indicators although goal differentual could be a little harsh in the end.