Keep Baraclough

Modernist

You make some fair points, although I don't agree with them all. However I'd add how many of us do jobs where someone is constantly trying to oppose you and stop you achieving your objectives? Thats what a football player/manager has to face in games.

And if some would have you believe - in their own dressing room. Hard enough when its just the opposition, a bit more difficult if its fifth-column.

It's not a complete doddle and if you think that you don't understand the real bind that we are in.

I don't know what you do, but I bet you aren't completely dependent on 15+ other people to do your job at even the most basic rudimentary level of competence. I bet you can go into work in a stinking mood or feeling a bit down and still do what ever it is you do, maybe not as well, but still do it. There aren't many people making a living as Insurance Broker psychologists, or Council Admin psychologists because they aren't required. Contrast with sports psychologists.

The fact is footballers can't do their job under these conditions and that's why team spirit and confidence are absolutely crucial to any success as a football team.

Look at Rangers right now. They should be romping that league. Why aren't they? Because of poor management and a bad atmosphere around the place. The players are looking at their shoe laces. Just look at a player like Fernando Torres, who goes from being world class to a laughing stock on the back of a crisis of confidence.

Professional and top level sport isn't even broadly compatible with most 'normal' employment.

What we need right now is someone that can rally the players, get them to believe in themselves, get them out their funk and then we have a chance.

At the end of the day, the average supporter could pick a team and a formation, work on tactics and all that but most of us wouldn't be good managers because a manager has to capture the hearts and minds of a dressing room full of individuals, get them believing in a cause, foster team spirit, build up confidence and so forth and very few people can actually do that, especially when the dressing room is in a very negative place. That's what football management is really about.

Ultimately that falls on the manager's head. Keith Lasley might be a year older but in terms of potential he's not gone from our player of the year to a complete haddie in a close season, even although some will tell you that. And there are lots of other players in the same boat. Ainsworth, Sutton, Vigurs, Carswell etc, etc. Even Ojamaa who came and went without doing much. The potential that got us to 2nd last year is still there but we need someone that can harness it. A football team is like a army without a general, they are looking for great leadership and if they don't get it they will inevitable fail.

Most salient post I've read on here in ages.

Cap doffed.