Motherwell V Kilmarnock 07/03/15

Yabba's Turd

Today was a much better performance than most this season but I still felt we looked a little lethargic. Not quite the same zip we had last week.

In terms of finishing outside the Bottom 2 I think the damage might already be done as Ross County look like they are motoring now. Ross County putting 4 wins on the trot together has really made things difficult for us.

However we certainly look much more competitive and all we can really do now is to pick up as many points as possible and cross our fingers and hope things else where go for us.

Thought Lasley, Johnson and especially Josh Law were all very good today but the lack of width with Conor Grant in the team was a problem as was players making runs into the box.

Probably need to be looking for 30 points before the split.

Funny how people see things differently. I thought, free kick aside, McDonald was poor. Lost possession a lot by holding on to the ball too long.

Johnson, I really like the look of. Final ball is variable but I have a funny feeling if he stays with us, I can see him becoming one of the most fouled players in the league. Can draw a foul, gets his body in the right position..

Law is the answer at right back. Similar to Hateley in that he's not the best defender in the world but he's good enough there and offers a great deal more on the ball than Reid or Ramsden..

On the Ainsworth debate. He is without doubt the most frustrating player at Fir Park. He has the ability but sometimes his decision making and willingness to take a chance can leave a lot to be desired...

Would have been nice to win today but the commitment and shape remained from last week. If we keep that up, we'll pick up points...

1425752380[/url]' post='434567']

Straker was absolutely fine today, didn't do anything wrong.

Grant isn't a wide right midfielder and he did absolutely nothing today.

Thought Lasley was decent again without being spectacular, would have liked to have seen more from Pearson but just his presence is making us more balanced.

I actually thought ainsworth was fairly positive when he came on, very frustrating though.

McDonald first touch and link up play first class, more to come im guessing.

Johnson was busy although i don't get the love in for him.

Think we have a right back in Law, I have to say I've been converted. Maybe he should have got tighter for their goal but that apart thought he was one of our better players.

2 points lost in the big picture I fear but again, the desire and organisation seem to be there like last week.

Onwards and upwards, bite your hand off for a point next week.

Accies game huge, 3 points a must

He had the Kille full back on toastHe can beat a man and put a decent cross in , so if that equates to being busy , that'll do for me.Dont think the fans just decide to like a guy just for the hell of it, boy definitely has a lot of potential

• Like 2

A bit miffed we didn't get the 3 points but not too downhearted. Momentum is key and stopping the rot was the important thing. Lets kick on next week against the sheep.

I have a very good feeling we will beat them next week. 2-1 Well you heard it here first.

TELLIN YE!

He had the Kille full back on toastHe can beat a man and put a decent cross in , so if that equates to being busy , that'll do for me.Dont think the fans just decide to like a guy just for the hell of it, boy definitely has a lot of potential

[/quote

He didn't have him on toast, no way.

Don't get me wrong I do think there is real potential in him but that's all it is at the moment.

He put a few decent crosses in after making a yard space but don't think he actually beat his man as such.

He was going past him at will I'd say he had him on toast, got at least 4 good crosses in the first half alone. Stalker was only caught out once when Johnson went over to the right and Stalker had no options ahead and lost the ball high up the field. On another day we could have scored at least 4 were making chances, things are much improved

Worst decision was to take off Grant and bringing on Ainsworth. After today he should never play in a Motherwell shirt again. Continually hid from Law and didn't hit the byline like he did last season once. When he eventually got into positions his decision making was horrendous.

I felt none of the substitutions aided us today in fact I felt we lost our shape and composure. Especially taking Grant off we were well on top creating a lot of pressure. Ainsworth came on and Killie came into game more.

I agree about Ainsworth he did very little, any 50/50 he bottled it and his delivery at set pieces was shocking.

He scored the winning goal last week was worth a go and with better final ball could have created the winner late on

Yes but that's part of the huge frustrion with him, at times he doesn't want to get involved when everyone knows he has the pace and talent too. To be fair the pitch was shocking and ball was sticking in mud or bobbling but Johnson created far more and got stuck in. Ainsworth had a chance 10 mins to go 50/50 ball he could have knicked he was clean through but he didn't even challenge.

Pretty unlucky today but overall things are looking better.

Josh Law is the answer at right back, strong in the tackle, uses the ball well and is surprisingly good in the air. Johnson had the Killie right back fried a solid 5 or 6 in the first half and we should of probably made more of his crosses, looks like a fine signing.

A suppose 4 points out of 6 is a good haul , but can't help thinking we blew a great chance to take 6/6. Johnson was the best on show, but I thought Erwin was really poor, and McDonald was just ok. Pearson had a pretty mediocre game too.

I thought Straker was a million miles better than he has been in the last few games.

Thought Long got beat far too easily at the goal.....was there a small deflection? If not, you really shouldn't get beat at the near post.

Frustrating day as we were comfortably the better team in the first half but Killie were clinical with the counter on the goal. Straker was miles out of position but there was a lot of play still to be had before they scored and for a much maligned player he didn't do much wrong today. Don't get me wrong there were a few nervous moments and whilst he didn't let us down today he didn't instil a lot of confidence either.

The subs all made sense, we needed to stretch the Killie team and Ainsworth certainly showed decent attitude and looked dangerous without providing end product. He did wuss out a couple of 50/50's but he got involved and with a couple of better decisions/final balls could have made a bigger impact. Sutton almost scored out of nothing and for me has to start again. I like Erwin and he could well have a decent future in the game but right now he doesn't even look like getting into positions to score. Sutton could well be a good foil for McDonald and I also fancy him to put chances away more often than not when they come.

Pretty much pass marks all round, Killie did well to sit deep and stifle us. Main point is we look like a half decent team again and picked up another point. We look like we can win games, avoiding a doing at Pittodrie and beating an out of form Accies team will go a long way of convincing me we'll get out of trouble yet. Thistle can be brought into this and despite County having an excellent run I don't think they'll be out of sight by the split.

Surprised to see the comment re Ainsworth thought he did as well as he could have, Grant wasn't in game at all and I thought Ainsworth did ok.

Yeah but roaster posters need to justify their earlier comments.

Vast improvement over what we have been watching for most of this season. Johnson provides a terrific delivery, but seldom look like we'll get anyone on the end of it. For all our possession, and balls into the box, I don't recall us making a clear cut chance. Something to work on at training.

Still, another good performance. Things are certainly improving. Though still some way to go.

Some guy sitting behind us in the East Stand had a go at Straker about 3 minutes in - something along the lines of 'Haw Straker, gonnae get yer finger oot yer arse today'.

Thought it was a bit out of order so early in the game but you should have seen the look Straker gave him. He was either raging, or didn't understand a word that was said!!

While he wasn't outstanding he did all the basics right and barely put a foot wrong. Law passed the ball straight out the park more times today.

Thought first half we picked up where we left off last week, probably played better football in truth and created a decent number of chances. Still look liable to concede at the back but we certainly didn't deserve to go in behind. The red card and Skippy's free kick should have set us up nicely for pushing on to get the 3 points in the 2nd half but we never really threatened to hit the same heights and didn't really do enough to get the three points in the end.

I know Straker was piss poor last time out but the amount of stick the guy got today was ridiculous, even sarcastically cheering him at some points when he done something productive. The guy might not be great but he was fairly solid today, as was the also much maligned Law who seems to have found his niche at right back in much the same way Hateley did. Also thought Laing looked decent again this week. Grant struggled out wide and clearly isn't a winger. Pearson and Erwin were full of endeavor but don't think either played as well as last week.

Skippy again made a huge difference to us going forward and took his goal very well. However I felt Marvin Johnson was our biggest threat going forward and it was no surprise that as he began to fade in the 2nd half so did our chances of getting three points. Was causing problems with his pace and direct running, some of his deliveries were also fantastic. Somewhat ironic though that Sutton has toiled up front on his own and been starved of decent service all season and when we suddenly start creating chances and supplying the sort of service the big man thrives on he's sitting kicking his heels on the bench.

Difficult game next week but the three after that, if we play as we have shown we can over the last two games, suddenly all look like games we're capable of getting something from. Disappointing not to get all three points but after the fight shown today and last week I've started to believe again that we can stay up.

Somewhat ironic though that Sutton has toiled up front on his own and been starved of decent service all season and when we suddenly starting creating chances and supplying the sort of service the big man thrives on he's sitting kicking his heels on the bench.

I noticed/pointed out last week that the delivery was ideal for Sutton but the space for the crosses were created by the movement and involvement of Erwin and/or McDonald. Unfortunate as it may be, one is sacrificed for the other.

We maybe need the winger on the opposite wing to take more of a gamble getting in to the box a little earlier to take advantage of that ball in. Again, that may mean leaving us exposed for a quick break down that wing.

1425682070[/url]' post='434494']

Honestley ? The guy has nt played a game all season near enough and you expect him just to slot in seamlessly and last a full game.Even if he does get back will take a few games to settle in and get up to speed . Can we gamble on him getting back to form imediatley. I'm afraid Stevies season is over already

Feel free to be a smart arse Goal started down left wing cheers.gif

A point won and we're off bottom so thats progress but in reality we dropped 2 points. In general we're playing far better now and creating far more chances. Poor finishing and bad luck denied us though I guess. Referee's decision to book Johnson was nothing short of absurd and if the Referee Assessor agreed there was contact then the yellow card ought to be struck off.

Straker was the better of the 2 full backs as Law started out badly and suffered a bit of a roasting but then settled down came on to a better game. Skippy's fine goal was just reward for a cynical Kilmarnock side. Gary Locke ought to take a hard look at his charges, watching at close quarters as he did, several of them take blatant dives, none of which were punished. In fairness though Killie looked a half decent side.

Onwards and upwards.

I'd echo the stuff about Law, move from midfield into right back is a good one if not dazzling but solid. McManus and Laing did an adequate job with Laing appearing to be a bit more composed that you will get from familiarity. I thought Straker did OK but has an awful first touch which is a primary reason why he finds himself in trouble more than his contemporaries.

As for the midfield, I was impressed with Lasley's drive and endeavour for all 90 minutes, Pearson was not as influential as last week. I must admit I thought that Conor Grant being subbed ahead of Johnson was a mistake. The latter was on a yellow and while really effective in the first half he wasn't anywhere near in the second. Plenty of reasons for this, no doubt one being Killie recognised he was running them ragged in the first 45 and countered it. I am encouraged by him however felt at times he didn't think enough when off the ball. Creating an overlap gives the person on the ball options. I can count two occasions where he seemed to switch off and had no concentration or situational awareness. But certainly our best threat and player in the first half.

No doubt Locke reviewed the ICT game and seen that Skippy was instrumental. The vigour he brought last week was pretty much nullified by a mixture of tight marking and by one touch too many. Erwin didn't impress anywhere near as much as last week but at this stage in his development I would hope we are willing to accept that.

Reading the comments so far Ainsworth's contribution has split opinion. For me he has undoubted talent but one of the most frustrating players because we have seen glimpses of what he has in his arsenal. However a basic quality of a winger is to put a cross in that gets past the first man. I'm sure it was around six from open and set pieces that were blocked or adequately headed away. You've got to give the guy powering in towards the penalty spot a chance to do something with it. While I hate witnessing anyone in C&A bottling a 50-50 I can understand why someone who held off signing a 1 year contract until the 11th hour is reluctant to end up on the treatment table with 11 games to go.

Few other things, sometimes at shy's it was a bit like the keystone cops, however that is something that can and should be easily addressed in training. Also, both last week and against Killie it seemed to take the crowd howling to get us to put 1-2 men on the halfway line when defending corners. Finally, I don't think McManus or Laing advancing with the ball when we're holding a high line would affect us defensively but would give us a few more options going forward. Sideways balls to Straker or Law for them to advance repeatedly kills a little momentum.

I really hope we don't regret killing them off with an advantage for so long come May. It felt like we had 90% possession in the 2nd half.

Didn't get the Killie love in on the radio afterwards, they did what they needed to do blah blah blah.

Referee's inconsistency was lamentable.