Aberdeen V Motherwell 13/03/15

Yabba's Turd

Its wrong to focus blame on George Long last night. In general he was continually left far too exposed by his 2 full backs and central defence. Aberdeen were afforded far too much time on the edge of our box and on the wings and it was no surprise they scored 2 goals. We have to start protecting the keeper far more. If the opposition can't get in shots or crosses they won't score - end of.

It's difficult to protect the goalkeeper when he's not in the 18 yard box.

The truth is if you can get away with murder if you are goalkeeper who is a bit taller. The mistakes last night were as bad, if not worse, than Twardzik's against Dundee when Twardzik was absolutely slaughtered. And Long's mistakes were certainly more crucial to the defeat and potentially more disasterous for our season.

The facts are that Long has made as many bad mistakes now as Twardzik in a third of the games.

I don't think it's a good idea to keep chopping and changing the goalkeeper but Long situation is like that of the team, he's getting close to the last chance saloon. He/we cannot afford any more mistakes.

This board can be a pot of negativity at times but even at that, some of these reactions have really surprised me.

Some thoughts -

1. Considering that very few had predicted us to pick up anything, the league table looks no different today than what most realistically expected.

2. No-one was complaining about the performance up to the first goal. We were playing with confidence and making a good Aberdeen team look very ordinary. That confidence will go into Friday's game.

3. Aberdeen have the second best defensive record in the country. It's no surprise we struggled to break them down.

4. Very few had concerns about Long's ability prior to last night. The first was unfortunate - watched in real time the ball is slowly rolling towards the goal hence his hasty reaction.

5. Forget about Ross County. Partick play Celtic, Aberdeen, ICT, St Johnstone and Motherwell before the split. The gap will close.

This board can be a pot of negativity at times but even at that, some of these reactions have really surprised me.

Some thoughts -

1. Considering that very few had predicted us to pick up anything, the league table looks no different today than what most realistically expected.

2. No-one was complaining about the performance up to the first goal. We were playing with confidence and making a good Aberdeen team look very ordinary. That confidence will go into Friday's game.

3. Aberdeen have the second best defensive record in the country. It's no surprise we struggled to break them down.

4. Very few had concerns about Long's ability prior to last night. The first was unfortunate - watched in real time the ball is slowly rolling towards the goal hence his hasty reaction.

5. Forget about Ross County. Partick play Celtic, Aberdeen, ICT, St Johnstone and Motherwell before the split. The gap will close.

Very good points. Don't forget Ross County recently got thumped at Pittodrie. Our real fight starts next Friday.

Some thoughts -

1. I said before the game I felt we had to pick up something from the match. Later this afternoon the league table could look very different.

2. We were 1-0 up and we blew it in catastrophic style, not a morale booster. Neither will be going bottom of the league today if St. Mirren do the business or Ross County pulling away.

3. Again we were 1-0 up and blew it. Their defensive record had nothing to do with the defeat.

4. People were talking about Long's goalkeeping last week with justification.

5. Partick Thistle could be potentially safe before the split if they win their home matches. If they win today they go 9 points ahead with a huge goal difference and then play us at Firhill after a match we absolutely must win the week previous against St. Mirren. There is not a single person here that wouldn't take Partick's position over our own. Really Partick just have to take something from the 2 home matches coming and then win at home against us to be fairly confident of being safe.

• Like 1

we are 1 point better off than i thought we would be when i looked at the 3 fixtures versus ICT, KILLE & ABERDEEN, granted i thought it would have been killie that we had the chance of the 3 points.

some people are in meltdown with regards last night, we should have at least taken a point and i am as gutted as anyone but get a grip, aberdeen on a playing staff level are way ahead of us.

it was a totally shambolic 2 mins but lets calm down.

if we look back over previous threads folk were saying that dan should more or less never wear a motherwell shirt again but now people are callling for us to bring him back in, knee jerk reactions or what!!!!!, do some of you remember some of the howlers ruddy more or less threw into his net a few years back but due to having better players we got out of most situations, i think long is a good keeper.

im confident that when we play the other teams round us after the split we will have enough to finish outside the bottom 2.

i have to agree with most posters though that straker is not a footballer in a million years.

i also need to say that dom thomas should get more of a run in the team, i was at the u20's game v st johnston the other night and he looks a great prospect although he did get clattered so may have had a slight injury, also on that note bob mchugh was really poor.

On the whole a 2-1 defeat at Pittodrie isn't the end of the world and when you compare it to the performances at Dens Park or New Douglas Park in January then the progress is obvious. Also it was a much better display than the last game of last season at Pittodrie only difference we had Lady Luck whilst this season we've had very little which was evident again last night.

I feared that a good Aberdeen side turning us over last night would have destroyed the little confidence that we have shown in the last few weeks. I don't understand the negative melt-down on here though. We weren't expected to win last night but with a bit of composure and luck the performance deserved at least a point.

With this weeks fixtures we were always likely to lose ground but from now on we are only playing teams that are around us in the league and I'm now confident that after recent performances we can take points out of every remaining fixture if we do that we will comfortably stay up

Its wrong to focus blame on George Long last night. In general he was continually left far too exposed by his 2 full backs and central defence. Aberdeen were afforded far too much time on the edge of our box and on the wings and it was no surprise they scored 2 goals. We have to start protecting the keeper far more. If the opposition can't get in shots or crosses they won't score - end of.

Never fails to amaze me how easily some players are either not criticised or defended, the above argument was frequently made for Dan Twardzik and was roundly shot down in several instances.

Every player in every game is responsible for winning that game, and when they do not must be equally culpable.

You think? I think it's been a bad day. Partick now safe and county pick up another point.

It could have been worse as I fully expected Ross County to win.

Not convinced Thistle will get dragged into it but they do have a difficult run on paper and it's up to is to make some significant ground between now and 11th April.

Partick only need another 7 points to get to 38 which has been enough to keep you up in all but one of the last ten seasons if I recall correctly.

The fact we would need to win three more games than them just to draw level, and then you have their superior goal difference, puts them out of our reach IMO.

I know our goal difference is poor but if we were to catch up with them then the necessary wins for us and defeats for them mean it would definitely be pulled back a good bit and might not be the point of a difference that it is effectively considered to be by many.

This would still require us to put a few wins together which I am less than convinced we can do.

Partick only need another 7 points to get to 38 which has been enough to keep you up in all but one of the last ten seasons if I recall correctly.

The fact we would need to win three more games than them just to draw level, and then you have their superior goal difference, puts them out of our reach IMO.

They're playing the 3 top teams next, then four of their last six are against teams fighting for their lives. They're not guaranteed to get seven more points.