Partick Thistle V Motherwell 11/04/15 - Huge Away Crowd Expected

Last post by:

There may well be 15 points to play for but unless Ross County spectacularly shite in the nest on Monday night the way we did today then we're 6 points behind.

Can anyone really see us over turning that?

Make no mistake we're heading down via the play offs because of the pepetual rankness shown up until the recent Inverness game. We've put a few great results and performances together recently but we'd given ourselves too much to do.

Oh and pumping long balls up to Sutton never works.

why bother with remaining games if season is over? Today was a kick in the baws, but being honest our record against Thistle at Firhill aint that great so its no suprise we got beat. We could still lose the next 5 games, and end up in the playoffs, and then skelp the championship team. Anything is still possible, especially given we are only playing teams around us, so why chuck in the towel now, just because todays result did not go as we had hoped.

• Like 1

why bother with remaining games if season is over? Today was a kick in the baws, but being honest our record against Thistle at Firhill aint that great so its no suprise we got beat. We could still lose the next 5 games, and end up in the playoffs, and then skelp the championship team. Anything is still possible, especially given we are only playing teams around us, so why chuck in the towel now, just because todays result did not go as we had hoped.

for me it was more about the manner of the defeat. Back to how we were before we brought in Johnson, Skippy and Pearo. Defence was very poor and no creativity. Yes Partick are not a bad side but we really did not pose them any problems. only good thing is Killie/Partick only 7 ahead and Ross likely to be 6 and every one has to play each other. I hope we can win 5 but not by playing that style as we did today.

There were a lot of similar comments at this time last year following a couple of poor results that our chances of finishing second, or even qualifying for Europe, were dead and buried. We weren't exactly performing well then either. As we all know, we dug out some results in the big games, despite not performing well, and got there in the end. Moral of the story? It ain't over 'til it's over.

It's not fully in our hands any more, which makes it that much more difficult, but we can still pick up 15 points, and Partick, Kille, and County can't all win all of their games.

much like the goalie got slated for a bad mistake against killie, they its only right the striker gets slated for his miss early doors. Critical miss, which has perhaps cost us.

I'm not slating Sutton for that miss but his inclusion in the team instantly reverted us back to the way we played before we 'turned the corner'. We got unlucky that both Grant and johnson were injured, but you don't change a front 2 that are working at such a crucial time of the season

I'm a big fan of Sutton, and I think he's a quality player, if you can get him the service. But it's been a problem all season that we revert to the long ball when we can't get the ball down the flanks. I don't think the impact made by having Johnson on the left can be overstated. Having pace and trickery down the left has made a huge difference to the team, as well as the added movement of the Erwin/McDonald combo up front. I think Ainsworth struggles with the responsibility of being the main attacking outlet and is really helped by Johnson's presence when he's in the team.

Hopefully his injury's not too bad and big Marv will be back in before the next fixture.

• Like 1

Really pathetic showing tbh. All the hard work in the last month or so undone with that inept display. Looked really up for it in the first few minutes with sutton missing a great chance. After that it was a performance that we have been all too familiar with this season. Aimless long balls which were being mopped up by thistle all too easily, not to mention losing another goal from a player given the freedom to head home. Plenty twists and turns in the tale i'm sure but have a feeling this is a game we will look back on with some regret. Special mention to all the fans who travelled along, great atmosphere, shame we didn't have much to shout about on the park.

so with the players realistic heads on, what are they to do? Pack it in or fight on? Would be nice if they could tell the fans before the next five games, as it would save them a few pennies.

Don't get me wrong, we aint in a good position and have been shocking for most of the season. However, we are 10 clear of bottom, probably due 3 home games, and even if we feck up, still have the safety net of the playoffs. Predicting the outcome of the possible remaining 7 games is impossible. Lets just back the team and see where we end up.

Just in.

Can't even fathom how last week at killie can be so different from the performance today.

The only good thing about the game was the well fans.

& fuck knows how because the team gave us nothing.

Long balls are just ridiculous, not sure what our forwards are meant to do with ball after ball pumped 40 yards into them.

Lack of fight!!!!

Lack of service for our front men!!!

Embarrassing performance in a must win/not lose game

not a great day at the office, just need to move on from it and look to take as much points as we can in the next 5 and hopefully avoid the playoff or at least build up some form going into it as the teams we can face are by no means guaranteed promotion, don't think we will go down

I hope Baraclough is big enough to accept the blame for this defeat, the inclusion of Sutton from the start was bizarre, baffling and fucking stupid.

On the way to the game we were discussing who he was going to replace Johnston with, each one of us said, anyone but Sutton...we then heard the team and were instantly deflated. Erwin is a forward, he isn't a left-mid...he and Skippy have been working great together and Sutton has been having an impact from the bench.

We reverted back to the team we were before Sutton was dropped in favour of Erwin, and Baracloughs decision to re-instate him today has well and truly cost us.

The team, were shite and I couldn't give any one of them (subs included), pass marks. Absolutely brutal to watch and we deserved everything we got.

I admire your optimism Motherwell 89.

Personally, I think we took a big step closer to relegation today. I said beforehand that the most important thing was not to lose today. There was never any doubt after the first goal - outplayed and, more importantly, outworked after that.