Partick Thistle V Motherwell 11/04/15 - Huge Away Crowd Expected

Last post by:

If we don't have the fight, desire, bottle, tactics for a must not lose game at Firhill, how do you think we're going to fare at Ibrox in the play offs?!?!

If Johnson and Grant are injured for that game do you think we'll break up McDonald ane Erwin and just shell long balls at Sutton? Chances are we will, even although it never fucking works.

Dom Thomas might get 5 minutes at the end of the second leg though....

Today illustrated the difficulty of the predicament that were in. Great as it has been winning those last three games there is virtually no margin for error and the implications of anything that doesn't go our way is all the more severe. So not only are we gutted at the defeat the chances of finishing 10th now appear to be hanging by a thread.

As regards the game I thought we edged the first half although never at any time did we look particularly good, and the closer it got to half-time the more Thistle were coming into it. Sutton scores that chance after 2 minutes and who knows how it might have turned out.

But we really missed Johnson, and the changes made in his absence appeared to inhibit us greatly. Easy to say in retrospect but should we have gone for Dom Thomas as a direct replacement? Could we even have putt Luke Watt in at left-back and had Straker in left-mid? I don't know but we were crying out for a change to return the Erwin-McDonald partnership up front and it never happened.

The second half display was pretty awful and akin to much of the dross that has put us in this very position. We never looked like getting back into it from the minute Thistle scored and they ended up comfortable winners. About the only sensible piece of management that was visible today was removing Lasley before Bobby Madden did.

We can only hope St Mirren do us an unlikely turn (though if they win that and then get pitched against us in the first game after the split that might bring it's own new set of worries), regroup and rebuild with hopefully the return of Johnson, Grant and maybe even Hammell if we're lucky in a fortnight's time.

I was going to write the same thing about Motherwell 89's optimism & thought I'd give mysef time to think about it 1st.

I don't think many people there today will be expecting us to stay up

we will be in the play off for sure then it comes down to who wants it more. given our season so far I have difficulty saying it will be us.

If we don't have the fight, desire, bottle, tactics for a must not lose game at Firhill, how do you think we're going to fare at Ibrox in the play offs?!?!

If Johnson and Grant are injured for that game do you think we'll break up McDonald ane Erwin and just shell long balls at Sutton? Chances are we will, even although it never fucking works.

Dom Thomas might get 5 minutes at the end of the second leg though....

Dom got more than 5 minutes today. How did that turn out? since he's apparently our saviour. The Rangers aint that good, and we dont have McCall in charge against his beloved team.

I hope Baraclough is big enough to accept the blame for this defeat, the inclusion of Sutton from the start was bizarre, baffling and fucking stupid.

The team, were shite and I couldn't give any one of them (subs included), pass marks. Absolutely brutal to watch and we deserved everything we got.

That second sentence is far more important than the first one. Too many players were well below par and starting with Thomas instead of Sutton wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference.

looking at the start of the season. When McCall walked we only had 10 points, and team lacking fitness, morale, organisation, fight, threat going forward, etc etc Basically a shambles. We now have 31 points and every negative point has got better. Whether the improvements at the end of the day are good enough, we will have to wait and see. But one thing our start to the season up and til December was shocking and made life very difficult for the new manager. There has been no scope for errors. Compare us to Hamilton, had they not got off to a good start then where would they be now, given they've only gained about 4 points this year. We got beat today, but have shown recently we are heading in the right direction.

• Like 2

And another thing, I know we're covering old ground but Straker is an abomination of a football player. Alan Archibald was at Fir Park on Tuesday night and he had obviously spotted that this clown was a weak link, as time and time again Thistle played the ball down their right hand side.

The amount of times McManus drifted out to the left to cover for him was shocking

On the way to the game we were discussing who he was going to replace Johnston with, each one of us said, anyone but Sutton...we then heard the team and were instantly deflated. Erwin is a forward, he isn't a left-mid...he and Skippy have been working great together and Sutton has been having an impact from the bench.

We reverted back to the team we were before Sutton was dropped in favour of Erwin, and Baracloughs decision to re-instate him today has well and truly cost us.

Erwin up against a centre half is a mismatch because of his mobility, put him up against a full back and a lot of that is negated.

I'm optimistic about our chances for staying up, but never fancied us today.

I'm surprised how many people are shocked we lost today; we have been awful away from home almost every single game and were playing a good thistle side, think we have 10 points all season from away games, point at Celtic, beat st Mirren, county an killie scoring only 14 goals.

Fact is we have knew for some time we are in big trouble this season but a few weeks ago we were BOTTOM, now we are 10 points clear, the improvement is there but so are the flaws that got us in this mess in the first place, a play off against a first division side won't be a forgone conclusion, it'll be eleven vs eleven and from what I've seen in recent weeks we clearly have the ability to win and stay up just need today's performance put behind us, i mean 1 loss in 4 aint bad , we win the next 3 then lose 1 then we will be due wins again by the time the play off come :ph34r:

• Like 1

I said before the game I would have preferred Thomas out wide to start but was ok with Erwin out wide and Sutton up top. That was mainly due to us reverting to that in the last couple of games mid game. Did not work today AT ALL.

Thistle stuck 2, sometimes 3, players on each one of ours most of the game. We couldn't get round that and just lumped long balls aimlessly. Terrible.

Tactics wrong, individual performances poor, decision making and determination on the park very much in question. Shite.

And another thing, I know we're covering old ground but Straker is an abomination of a football player. Alan Archibald was at Fir Park on Tuesday night and he had obviously spotted that this clown was a weak link, as time and time again Thistle played the ball down their right hand side.

The amount of times McManus drifted out to the left to cover for him was shocking

Yeah but the goals were all scored from weakness down our right hand side not the left.

The game was played in the air and we never won a header. We didn't play through the middle and we didn't play round the outside. The ball was in the air when the conditions and our abilities didnt suit those tactics. Sutton was left looking like a drunken sailor as he chased the ball. First goal was bizarre, when the ball came in we had no-one beyond the back post, by the time this free header was returned into the middle we had no-one on the opposite post. 9 players completely taken out of play.

Just watched the highlights.

Defending for the goals was fucking pathetic. 2 free headers for the first one. No one even close to them. You don't even get that much space in amateur games at times.

Guilty of ball watching rather than staying with your man at 2nd.

This is basic basic stuff.