2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

I can't understand the negativity around John Sutton yes he is slow but he scores goals which is the whole point of the game, I guarantee if he signs for a club in the sol he will score goals and people on here will say Why did we not resign him we must be the only club that wants to bin one of our top scorers

• Like 3

The basic fact for me is that football is a team game, and as team, we play worse when Sutton is starting. Look at Saturday for instance, or the whole of the 1st half of the season under McCall.

Its not just that he is slow. His 1st touch is poor, he doesnt hold the ball in particularly well, doesnt run the channels, he spends much of the game on his arse and he doesnt do much in the way of harassing defenders (which is probably the single-most attribute that I think we missed from Erwins removal from up front on Saturday). Unless the ball is inside the 18yard box, he doesnt contribute.

I do understand that he is a goalscorer, of course I do, and his record speaks for itself, but if we are not creating chances then he is a waste of a jersey, completely, totally and utterly.

Twardzik's here for another season too.

I'd keep Kerr, McDonald, Sutton and (controversial) Law. I'd like to see Kerr have a full season at centre-back, he can clearly play when he's in his preferred position and is certainly no worse than McManus, Laing and O'Brien. McDonald will score goals for fun once he is settled as will Sutton with two natural wingers (Thomas and Johnson) in the team. Law looked hopeless under McCall but has somehow managed to turn his season around and looks a competent right back, so same as Kerr - play him in the right position.

• Like 1

I do understand that he is a goalscorer, of course I do, and his record speaks for itself, but if we are not creating chances then he is a waste of a jersey, completely, totally and utterly.

That's the core of the issue right there. I'm totally open about being a big fan of Sutton, but in order to let him do what he does best, we need a team that will create chances. Should Baraclough build a team that is capable of creating chances for Sutton, I'm confident he'd score an absolute boat load.

But, he doesn't seem to fit the way that the manager likes his teams to play, so will he look to create a team that can deliver what Sutton needs, or will he let him go?

I'd like to see Sutton stay but fully appreciate that he may not want to re-sign if he's not going to be getting game time.

• Like 2

I'd keep Law too. In a team full of right backs he's quietly gone about making the position his own. I don't think it's a coincidence that Law being at RB consistently has tied in with Ainsworth coming onto a game.

I'd agree with this. For me, between making the right-back slot his own and being the only player who has seemed to put in 100% for the entire season Josh Law deserves another deal. He'll not be on anything major money wise and even if we bring in better players, he's one to have around in the squad for back up. I think I'd actually be quite disappointed if we let him go to be honest.

The basic fact for me is that football is a team game, and as team, we play worse when Sutton is starting. Look at Saturday for instance, or the whole of the 1st half of the season under McCall.

Its not just that he is slow. His 1st touch is poor, he doesnt hold the ball in particularly well, doesnt run the channels, he spends much of the game on his arse and he doesnt do much in the way of harassing defenders (which is probably the single-most attribute that I think we missed from Erwins removal from up front on Saturday). Unless the ball is inside the 18yard box, he doesnt contribute.

Absolute rubbish. What about Kilmarnock when Sutton came on and we played better. It was only a couple of weeks ago so I doubt you have forgotten so soon. Some people around here are very selective. And what about the entire season when Sutton started up front and we finished 2nd?

As for "he is slow...etc, etc." he is the 4th top goal scorer in the league this season. Celtic have spent millions of pounds and don't have someone on 11 league goals this season, on top of that he has scored more goals than an other Motherwell player since Willie Pettigrew and is something like 4th on our post war list. He's got into double figure every one of the 5 season he's played for the club.

As for the "if we are not creating chances" well who do you want in that situation? Someone with an absolutely superb chance-to-goal ratio like Sutton or someone that runs around a bit but is 70% less likely to score?

There's some kind of myth some of you out there like to repeat that Sutton doesn't contribute or we are better when he's not in the team.

Well here's the facts. We have won 9 matches this season and John Sutton has started 5 of them and scored winning goals in 3 of them. In another 2 of those wins the winning goal was scored after John Sutton came on, (recent wins against Kilmarnock/Inverness) and in the remaining 2 wins Sutton scored a total of 4 goals coming on as a sub. So he has literally contributed to all of our 9 wins this season and scored 5 goals in the process.

Goalscorers are worth their weight in gold. Getting rid of Sutton would be a terrible mistake.

• Like 2

Absolute rubbish. What about Kilmarnock when Sutton came on and we played better. It was only a couple of weeks ago so I doubt you have forgotten so soon. Some people around here are very selective. And what about the entire season when Sutton started up front and we finished 2nd?

As for "he is slow...etc, etc." he is the 4th top goal scorer in the league this season. Celtic have spent millions of pounds and don't have someone on 11 league goals this season, on top of that he has scored more goals than an other Motherwell player since Willie Pettigrew and is something like 4th on our post war list. He's got into double figure every one of the 5 season he's played for the club.

As for the "if we are not creating chances" well who do you want in that situation? Someone with an absolutely superb chance-to-goal ratio like Sutton or someone that runs around a bit but is 70% less likely to score?

There's some kind of myth some of you out there like to repeat that Sutton doesn't contribute or we are better when he's not in the team.

Well here's the facts. We have won 9 matches this season and John Sutton has started 5 of them and scored winning goals in 3 of them. In another 2 of those wins the winning goal was scored after John Sutton came on, (recent wins against Kilmarnock/Inverness) and in the remaining 2 wins Sutton scored a total of 4 goals coming on as a sub. So he has literally contributed to all of our 9 wins this season and scored 5 goals in the process.

Goalscorers are worth their weight in gold. Getting rid of Sutton would be a terrible mistake.

In a team struggling to make chances and devoid of ideas? I'd far prefer a mobile, hard-working striker who will work the channels, bring others into play and harass opposition defenders, than one who stands in the middle of the pitch 25-30 yards out trying (usually failing) to win headers. Alan Archibald would have been delighted when he realised young Erwin was being played as a left-winger on Saturday, and knowing his lumps of centre-halves wouldnt have to deal with his mobility, just Fast Johns imobility.

As mentioned in another thread, if we are to be relegated, any regular member of the squad that was here when we finished 2nd last year and went on to put us in our current situation should be shown the door as swiftly as possible to make way for the younger players.

I was actually thinking earlier that if we do get relegated some of the more senior players might get more game time next season than potentially they would in the Premiership ( Hammell, Lasley etc )

Sutton will score goals with the right service.

Problem is if he doesn't get the service as seen in the Thistle game then he doesn't offer much.

I know others think he changed the Killie game, but i'm not entirely sure that was the case.

I like Sutton by the way but next season you have to wonder what he will contribute if he's not scoring goals

John Sutton is a limited player - he is very good at what he does and that is putting the ball in the net in the penalty box. He is not a mobile target player. If we are expected to be on top then he is your man if however we are playing counter attacking football then you play another striker. Horses for courses.

As mentioned in another thread, if we are to be relegated, any regular member of the squad that was here when we finished 2nd last year and went on to put us in our current situation should be shown the door as swiftly as possible to make way for the younger players.

So you want to take all the experience and quality we have and throw it out the window when we go into a tough Championship league full of experienced old pros?

That would be madness.

The first thing Hearts did when they went down was bring in experience in Gomis, Buaben, Pallardo, Zeefuik, Eckersley, etc.

• Like 1

The Killie manager said Sutton changed the game, so that's a pretty unbiased source.

When he came on everyone else had put in a 60 minute shift. That's different from starting and as a tactic it is working a treat.

When he came on everyone else had put in a 60 minute shift. That's different from starting and as a tactic it is working a treat.

It was actually the way he bossed the young Killie defenders that he was talking about rather than as a fresh pair of legs.

Are you John Sutton? You love defending him to the hilt. He can hardly kick it straight sometimes - that's just a fact.

So you want to take all the experience and quality we have and throw it out the window when we go into a tough Championship league full of experienced old pros?

That would be madness.

The first thing Hearts did when they went down was bring in experience in Gomis, Buaben, Pallardo, Zeefuik, Eckersley, etc.

We have Lasley, Hammell and Pearson tied down on longer contracts, so they will all be here and we would need to sign a few players to replace the mass exodus.

As for the rest, hope the door doesn't hit them on the way out.