2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Funny thing was, I was saying to someone after the game on Sunday that Motherwell without Stevie Hammell would be strange but an idea we'll need to get used to.

Clearly the club also realises it too...

He's not allowed to retire until he hits the 500 league appearances.

With our new scouting system up and running, this summer is going to be the first big test. At one of the Q&As they said that there were something like 50 - 60 players of interest already identified under the new setup, so it will be interesting to see what comes of that. Chalmers sounds like a good first signing and managed to hold down a starting place at Falkirk before he was injured - liking the sound of him.

That can't be a fixed fee regardless of ability surely?

It's not fixed, but there is a formula that takes a load of things into account from how long you have been at the club to, I believe, number of 1st team appearances and the category of the club trying to sign you. Leeds are a category 1 club so have to pay more.

So if you are mince, never made a 1st team appearance, only been at the club a couple of years and being signed by a lesser team, then the development fee would be much reduced.

The only thing I know about Chalmers is that he can't be any worse than 'tony straker at left back. Definitely fits the bill of a young player we can develop and sell on

Given the fickle nature of fans, I'd be wary of any feedback. I remember Oldham fans telling us how useless Chris Porter would be and how he was always injured.

And if someone on here asks about Vigurs, for example, I'm sure there would be plenty of negativity for many.

Just saw on P&B someone posted a Twitter link to a Nottingham based journo who said Laing has been offered a very good deal by us and is likely to be back next season.

Would be a good signing in my opinion and one we could certainly get a fee for in the future.

Can't seem to post a link but the guys handle is @leighcurtis_NP

Just saw on P&B someone posted a Twitter link to a Nottingham based journo who said Laing has been offered a very good deal by us and is likely to be back next season.

Would be a good signing in my opinion and one we could certainly get a fee for in the future.

Can't seem to post a link but the guys handle is @leighcurtis_NP

Not based on his 1st half showing at Fir Park. At least 3 or 4 times he fecked up. On one occasion presented Boyd with a free shot on goal which thankfully he skewed wide.

It is not that I don't rate him at all, but not sure we would ever get a transfer fee for him

He was released on a free I think.

Correct.....copied from BBC.........anybody know if he has any links to Selik legend Stevie Chalmers ??

Joe Chalmers: Motherwell sign former Celtic defender

Motherwell have signed Scotland Under-21 defender Joe Chalmers on a two-year contract.

Chalmers, 21, was a free agent after being released by Celtic.

He made his Celtic debut at 18 against Inverness in 2012 under previous manager Neil Lennon, before a loan spell at Falkirk in 2013-14.

"He's a young player with fantastic potential who we've tracked for some time," manager Ian Baraclough told the Motherwell website

Laing reminds me of Hutchinson. Looks to have raw potential but there's an error in him once a game...

I said pretty much the same thing at the game on Sunday. If he develops the way Hutchy did I'll be more than happy.

• Like 1

I said pretty much the same thing at the game on Sunday. If he develops the way Hutchy did I'll be more than happy.

Agree with this. He seems prone to a wee lapse in concentration now and again (as Hutchy was) but has all the attributes to be a right good defender.

Definitely good news if Laing signs up, he is young, available, has his head screwed on, and was a far better option at CB from Ramsden, O'Brien and Kerr. Makings of an understanding with McM. Can only see him getting better.

Don't think the tweet above implies a one year deal, and I'd be surprised if it isn't two years at least.

Would love to have a platform to hammer some of these league one team, their fans are bizarrely arrogant despite all the awful kick and rush / set piece football. Checking on Murphy's progress through Sheff Utd boards is painful.

Don't know anything about Chalmers but working with Hammell has to be a good move for him.

We needed a left back and whilst I wasn't overly enthused by Laing, he was in and out the team much of the time. Perhaps a run of games could see him cut the mistakes out of his game through sharpness. It is important that even if he does sign, we do get another centre-half, which I think Baraclough will realise.

Chalmers and Laing will definitly set the tone of what we can expect this close season. Signings will be unknown names to almost all of us and I would image have an average age of 22 - the idea being that we can give them 2/3 year contracts and move them on for a fee as they begin to approach their prime.

Agree with this. He seems prone to a wee lapse in concentration now and again (as Hutchy was) but has all the attributes to be a right good defender.

And the truth is, if he had all the raw potential that he currently has with none of the faults, such as the occasional lapse in concentration, there's a good chance we'd get nowhere near him.

And the truth is, if he had all the raw potential that he currently has with none of the faults, such as the occasional lapse in concentration, there's a good chance we'd get nowhere near him.

Exactly.

We're at the level where decent defenders with raw potential come to us and hopefully then eradicate the lapses in concentration and the odd mistakes, which subsequently leads to them getting a bigger move.

If those lapses or mistakes weren't there, he'd be no where near Fir Park to begin with.

I'd be delighted if we signed Laing, really came onto a game the last few weeks of the season and exactly the kind of player we should be aiming for.

Heres one to throw the cat amongst the pigeons...

Probably no chance of it happening BUT if Haris Vuckic was up for loan again next season and Newcastle wanted him at a higher level than Championship, would we take him??

I for one would have him in our squad, jsut imagine how that would go down at Ibrox....

• Like 1