2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Best wishes to John Sutton, he has been a great servant to Motherwell over the two spells that he has had with us. We now need to source another target man who can deliver 15-18 goals a season.

Those who don't rate Sutton (and we all know the weaknesses in his game) seem to be ignoring the fact that at SPL level he pretty much guaranteed 10-15 goals a season. Not easy to replace. Strikers that are mobile, good in the air and provide that kind of goal return are hard to come by on our budget...
  • Like 1

Not sure being mobile is one of Suttons attributes, he's decent at SPL level but he shouldn't be that hard to replace.Any half decent forward should get into double figures.

I wasn't saying Sutton was mobile. Most people seem to want us to replace him with someone more mobile. Just think that whoever that striker is might struggle to provide the goals Sutton does.

We've been spoiled striker wise at our club. How many seasons have Kilmarnock, St Mirren or Partick Thistle had a 10+ goals a season striker? These clubs occasionally have one (Boyd, Higdon) but think of the strikers we've had. Porter, McDonald, McCormack, Clarkson, Murphy, Higdon, Sutton... All 10 goals or more in a season. The phrase "embarrassment of riches" springs to mind...

IF he moves on, I wish big John all the best - a decent guy. However he doesn't fit in with our preferred style of play and he'll be 32 in a few months time, so his best years will be behind him. In short I won't be overly concerned. Had Ian Baraclough really wanted to retain him, he would have re-signed.

Can't say I'll be too sad to see the back of Sutton. never took to him first time around and still haven't this time.

You don't have to fight the feelings. Just accept it, he's handsome as fuck.

Can anyone actually think of an English player we have brought up here and then sold for money? I can't but it is 6.51am.

Porter was probably the most recent.

Edit: it's early here too and I didn't notice the 3,456 other people that beat me to it.

I have no idea if the Johnson rumours are true, but our past transfer dealings are irrelevant now that Les is running the show. He has a complete different business model in place and I expect to see a few more money making deals over the coming months,

Hmm can't say that he gives me that "funny feeling in my tummy"

A revealing post. Not sure you can be trusted in a combat situation.

I for one will miss Big Handsome John. A regular goalscorer is gold dust in any side. Had harboured hopes of him getting the best supply he's ever had from Marv and Ainsworth, sadly not to be. I presume he's secured a longer deal, can't see St J offering more money.

Sutty isn't the complete footballer- so what if he barely ever won a ball in the air- and there are few more magnificent sights than him in full flight, arms punching up and down, pounding along like he was towing a caravan...

Bottom line- the guy is a goal scorer ,anything else was just parsley on the bowl of life's soup.

Good luck to you Sir.

Big shoes to fill...

as ive said on here before, we cannot judge IB on his january signings and must have faith that he can rebuild a team.

He was FORCED to sign players that I believe he would not have signed due to the fact he had to get players in as he inherited a shambles of a squad that were totally off the boil and unfit.

Time will tell but I for one am excited about this summer and think we will get some half decent players in, a massive wedge of wage money has been freed up so i expect at least 8 signings.