2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

If there was someone who I wouldnt mind returning, it would have been Michael Higdon.

Seems to have fallen by the way side at Sheff Utd after getting injured.

Would have him back in a heartbeat, with 2 pacy wingers supplying him.

There's been a big influx of players who played together in their younger days and that had ousted the girls who were originally recruited. I'm also hearing that they are being paid a weekly wage, too. Keen to know where that funding is coming from! Clearly aiming to climb into a better league quickly but there has to be some development going on to have a strong team when they get there.

Any women getting paid a weekly wage by the club should be hunted. Womens football is shite ,a gimmick no-one apart frm players and their family is the least bit bothered in. Our cash is tight enough paying for a dodgy actual football team never mind a wifies team too

Very happy to see David Clarkson back at Fir Park. There might be little room for sentimentality in the modern game, but I think , as a club, it shows us in a good light that we are happy to take former players back, and that they are keen to come back here.

Also, get Clarkie fit and healthy and he will do a decent job for us. Good luck to the lad.

Seeing and hearing a fair bit about dundee last year. Clarkson helped Greg Stewart develop heaps with his experience and movement. So basically a cheaper, poorer quality Skippy.

Looking forward to the good old days of everyone talking bout his workrate while he misses sitter after sitter and contributes 6 goals a season. Inspired signing by the new big bucks scouting system.

I got well confused there with the Ladies team chat. Thought we were still talking about Clarky.

From a footballing sense, a team of 20 or so players should provide enough competition, 2 players in each position is what the manager said which seems right. Back that up with the youth team challenging when space and I think it's a good mix.

From a budget sense, we could never carry a squad long term the size we had post January. A squad of 20 first teamers seems right for a club our size.

I think some people have forgotten how good Clarkson was when he was here last

Definitely not forgotten, however, Faddy was brilliant first time around but just didn't work for me this time. Just because they were good once doesn't mean they will be the same whereas Skippy definitely did work out but some people on here have claret and amber tinted specs and couldn't care less what impact he will have.

He will be judged on his performances next season by me critically and honestly and if he proves me wrong then brilliant but if not, him being a great servant before will cut no ice with me and he will get both barrels.

The club is bigger than any former player and its survival is top priority for me so handing contracts to former well players should I hope solely be based on what they can offer and how they fit into the system being considered by the manager, nothing else.

Some people quite rightly question his signing as from his recent history and form has absolutely no sell on potential and question what he will bring to the club. Others are delighted that another former well player has signed and can't or probably won't care if he still has the capability he once had. The club have been quite rightly talking up the new scouting system and software and the potentially hundreds of new players available and we sign a former Well player who was released for nothing.

These are the stone cold facts and some may not like that but I am putting them out there not to be anti Clarkson in any way I am maybe more trying to understand where the club is going in its signing policy. I understand the arguments of solid pros working with youngsters but we have plenty of them still in the team as it stands. Maybe in that vein he will be bringing some guidance to the young strikers to bring them on much like Skippy done in his short spell here with Erwin. I dunno really just thinking out loud.

• Like 1

I think some people have forgotten how good Clarkson was when he was here last

Clarkson had one terrific season under McGhee and got a good move on the back of it- the rest he was not very good. His first touch was one of the worst I had seen from any professional footballer, and on the evidence of what I had seen last season he no longer has the mobility he once possessed.

He is a downgrade on every striker we had last season bar mchugh. I really really want him to succeed but he's no way near good enough to be starting every week.

There is no way this is a barraclough or owers signing

• Like 2

I think it is a Baraclough signing. I get the feeling hes going out to please the fans to get us back through the door. He seems to have bought into us, hopefully the majority of the fans have bought into him.

If thats the case then it is a terrible signing. Bringing a player in just to please the fans is a completely ridiculous and reckless approach to keeping the club in the premiership and solvent.

• Like 1

I love this forum, most of last season there were complaints aplenty that Sutton should be shown the door and McCall had made a terrible error in not signing Clarkson. Fast forward a few months now many are lamenting Suttons move to Perth and questioning how we will cope without him and now shocked that we are resorting to signing Clarkson.

From my point of view, I think Clarkson will be a good value signing probably on a lot less wage than Sutton and offering much the same in terms of quality. I'm sure the new scouting network has unearthed a few possible gems and I for one am excited for the season ahead.

• Like 5

I love this forum, most of last season there were complaints aplenty that Sutton should be shown the door and McCall had made a terrible error in not signing Clarkson. Fast forward a few months now many are lamenting Suttons move to Perth and questioning how we will cope without him and now shocked that we are resorting to signing Clarkson.

From my point of view, I think Clarkson will be a good value signing probably on a lot less wage than Sutton and offering much the same in terms of quality. I'm sure the new scouting network has unearthed a few possible gems and I for one am excited for the season ahead.

Is that not what a forum is about though..? I hope your right and he turns out to be a shrewd acquisition but the fans should be allowed to ask the question. No chance of a response but good to debate it.

All indications from the club is that there will be a raft of fresh faces arriving in the coming weeks.

Understandably, Clarkson has been an easy one to get over the line. Those generated from the scouting system will be arrive in due course and then we can start to review our summer business.

If thats the case then it is a terrible signing. Bringing a player in just to please the fans is a completely ridiculous and reckless approach to keeping the club in the premiership and solvent.

Sorry were not Man Utd but we need to make nostalgic marketing signings to get the numbers through the door. Clarkson is not a bad signing, 9 in 19 for Dundee last year. Imagine him playing for a team that can actually attack with fury.

You need to take a chill pill, judge Clarkson when youve seen him play for Motherwell in 15/16 season.

I don't think Clarkson has been brought in to get the fans onside. I think, having lost Sutton, the club were looking for someone experienced to provide a goal threat from the bench. Clarkson was available, I suspect willing to come with no guarantee of being first choice and willing to come for a wage less than other experienced players with no connection to the club would have asked for.

An exciting signing? Probably not but he'll do a job. He's 29 and scored goals in the SPL last season. Not like we're signing a 37yo gut who's been injured for two years.

Still good to know he replaces Sutton in a few ways. Sutton always divided opinion on here as well...

• Like 1

Sorry were not Man Utd but we need to make nostalgic marketing signings to get the numbers through the door. Clarkson is not a bad signing, 9 in 19 for Dundee last year. Imagine him playing for a team that can actually attack with fury.

You need to take a chill pill, judge Clarkson when youve seen him play for Motherwell in 15/16 season.

lol no chill pill required. I am very laid back..just asking a pertinent question to your post, thats allowed surely. Nostalgic signings..really..?? your right we are not Man Utd so cannot afford any nostalgia in any of our signings. Cold sharp reasoning and judgement is required for signings and for us to survive. If you want a signing that will get the fans through the door you need to splash cash on that type of player and we don't have it. Why not sign Ruddy or Randolph and bring back Jamie Murphy and while I am at it install Martinez as manager if I was feeling nostalgic and wanted marketing signings. If I thought for a minute we were signing players for nostalgia reasons I would never go back and be calling fo the managers head.

anyway apologies if this has been already posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33276261

• Like 1

Cannot understand all the negativity re signing Clarkson. I don't recall the same reaction when we signed a thirty three year old cripple in January who had been plying his trade in India because no one in the UK wanted him. And I think most would agree that the signing of Pearson was critical to us staying in the top division. Most are also looking forward to seeing him drive on the team from midfield this season.

Not all our signings will be youngsters with sell on potential and a squad balance has to be struck. He's only 29 for goodness sake, and recalling how he performed at Fir Park for Dundee, I believe Clarkson is worth the punt and will be a valuable squad member. He wants to play for us which helps and clearly is looking forward to helping to develop the younger, less experienced players. Can our new super duper medical staff keep him fit? I don't know, but let's not write him off before he's even pulled on the shirt.

• Like 3