2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

The people on here criticising the new shiny scouting system must know more than me.

Just because you scout players doesn't mean they will actually want to sign for you.

Do you know how many players we have offered terms or sounded out? I certainly don't.

Hopefully these guys will come but we need to build a squad and that includes back up players. If Clarky's deal reflects this then I can't see a problem with this signing. Does it blow me away? No but will any of our signings blow us away? Just because we sign a youngster with 'potential' who is out of contract at Accrington Stanley doesn't make him automatically better than Clarky does it?

Give the guy a chance. Every player deserves that do they not?

• Like 1

Understandably, Clarkson has been an easy one to get over the line. Those generated from the scouting system will be arrive in due course and then we can start to review our summer business.

Exactly this. Signing players you've never heard or seen is always a wee bit more exciting, of course, but similarly pitching 'You're going to be a back up to the main guy we're bringing in' is vastly easier to Clarkson, who also gets to hang out with his pals every day, close to home, with a history in the club. I can't imagine selling 'You're going to be a back up' to anyone without a connection to the club, Sutton didn't fancy it, Clarkson did.

Aye, maybe there is someone out there that'd take the gig, but they're more likely to be hanging around for the summer hoping for something else. Clarkson is here, day one of pre-season training, knows his way around, will do fine. Cannot understand the fuss.

Clarkson had one terrific season under McGhee and got a good move on the back of it- the rest he was not very good. His first touch was one of the worst I had seen from any professional footballer, and on the evidence of what I had seen last season he no longer has the mobility he once possessed.

No offence big fella but that first statement is utter bollocks. Clarkson when he first broke thru was one the most entertaining exciting young talents Scotland had produced.

An utter menace and pest who was slowly broken down by Terry B by playing in an unplayable position as loan striker. Picked up a few injuries and was replaced by Skippy which blew his confidence to shreds.

He is an natural goal scorer who I believe may flourish back at a club where he will be appreciated. No matter his poor run but 9 goals in 9 games was not luck last year and the game at Fir Park he looked very decent.

Let's give him a chance and our support.

• Like 1

Don't think anyone is criticising the new scouting system at all if anything they want to see a signing from it. I know its new etc but so far the signings have not exactly been unknowns..Pearson, Ainsowrth McDonald, Clarkson, they just needed to ask Flow who they were and if they could do us a turn. Marv is exactly the type of player I am expecting from it and excited by what we could unearth. Cahill could be another and I sense a good start

I think there will be a few unknown potentials signed its just a matter of some patience from some, me included. Bara says he isn't in a rush to sign anyone which has left me a wee bit concerned with the preseason already started. There are a few gaping holes needing filled as a far as I can see but getting the right signings is important also so I will trust Bara will do that.

However guys on here have the right as paying punters to question any signings good or bad and the reasons behind it as they see it. Its a forum thats what it is for and I will happily debate with guys about it but am not criticising I am trying to understand the reasons behind the signings. Some guys on here are certainly more informed in these matters than i ever will be sadly so am seeking their thoughts on it.

Cannot understand all the negativity re signing Clarkson. I don't recall the same reaction when we signed a thirty three year old cripple in January who had been plying his trade in India because no one in the UK wanted him. And I think most would agree that the signing of Pearson was critical to us staying in the top division. Most are also looking forward to seeing him drive on the team from midfield this season.

Not all our signings will be youngsters with sell on potential and a squad balance has to be struck. He's only 29 for goodness sake, and recalling how he performed at Fir Park for Dundee, I believe Clarkson is worth the punt and will be a valuable squad member. He wants to play for us which helps and clearly is looking forward to helping to develop the younger, less experienced players. Can our new super duper medical staff keep him fit? I don't know, but let's not write him off before he's even pulled on the shirt.

It was rammed down our throats that Baraclough was not to be judged on his January acquisitions as he was choosing from a very limited market and he was just filling gaps in the squad, but there were still plenty commenting about Pearson and his subsequent form if you want to take him as the example.

I'm not sure where this back up/another option off the bench/experienced pro chat is coming from re: Clarkson either. Since when have we had the luxury of signing players just to sit on the bench and bring on the youngsters? He's been signed to play and score goals. I suspect he will end up doing neither.

You need subs in football so it's not a luxury.

and you could argue those subs should be our new young guys from the scouting systems or the guys already in the under 20's. What I do see now though is that we have no experienced strikers and I can then undestand the reasoning behind the signing but definitely not imo as our main striker. I don't have the confidence others have that he still has it to score enough goals to make his signing worthwile. I am hopeful that an additional striker is being looked at as well.

We need to start well as we can't afford to languish around the bottom of the league at the beginning as confidence issues may prove fatal and we need to start with a strong a team as possible and get the new players in and match fit from the start. I am not a fan of waiting until the last minute in the transfer window in the hope we manage to get a bargain player when we have already played 4-5 games into the league and struggling.

You could and that may be the case. That's the way a squad works. Your position at the start of the season doesn't meant it'll be like that at the end. Clarky could come in and score 9 in 9 of the bench and be a superstar for the rest of the season.

He might be murder and end up be demoted by a 19 year old. It works both ways. A young player with no experience isn't necessarily better than a 29 year old pro and vice versa. It's better to have balance and options. We have the guys in the under 20s already. Clarky gives us options.

I agree he gives us options just leave it at that as I said we need the first team starters in and ready for the friendlies to get them gelling for the campaign. I don't want to be struggling with a terrible defence 4-5 games in as we are waiting as I said earlier for the last minute bargain who may be able to fill the gap and turn it around. Thats ok for January we need those players in before the season starts.

Clarky is replacing Sutton! We need experience in the team and he will bring that.

Fact is if we bring in Skippy and look at Moore as the replacement for Erwin then we are in the same place as last season.

Or if we get say a Lyle Taylor as replacement for Erwin then we are in a stronger position.

The negativity towards this signing is mental. Clarky and Sutton are a very similar level of player.

• Like 2

No offence big fella but that first statement is utter bollocks. Clarkson when he first broke thru was one the most entertaining exciting young talents Scotland had produced.

t.

My mistake sieb forgot about 2003/04 where he scored a lot. But you are kidding yourself on if you thought he was a a better talent than any of the forwards of similar age around that time eg Derek riordan, kris Boyd, Steven Naismith, Garry oconnor, Paul Gallagher

My mistake sieb forgot about 2003/04 where he scored a lot. But you are kidding yourself on if you thought he was a a better talent than any of the forwards of similar age around that time eg Derek riordan, kris Boyd, Steven Naismith, Garry oconnor, Paul Gallagher

Not really sure you're making the best argument with those players, tbh.

garry+o+connor+fat.jpg

Clarky is replacing Sutton! We need experience in the team and he will bring that.

Fact is if we bring in Skippy and look at Moore as the replacement for Erwin then we are in the same place as last season.

Or if we get say a Lyle Taylor as replacement for Erwin then we are in a stronger position.

The negativity towards this signing is mental. Clarky and Sutton are a very similar level of player.

If last season showed us anything it was that when you have a keeper and defenders who arent good enough (yet you pursue to resign the following season) and you add in a striker who doesnt score goals then relegation is a distinct possibility

Folk who spent time and money travelling away in particular wont need reminding how pathetic we were last season and how big an improvement is needed , are Chalmers and Clarkson a big improvement ?

Maybe , hopefully the signings still to come inspire me with a bit more confidence though

Two enjoyable wins over Sevco doesnt hide the fact that Baraclough failed miserably to raise that squad for the "must win" post split fixtures , new and much better players are needed, talk is cheao.relegation isnt.

Jesus H. Clarkson hasn't even kicked a ball for us again and he's been written off by some on here.

I'm more than happy he is back he will score goals and is a bit more mobile than Sutton was.

I have a feeling if he has a bad game the boo boys will be out in force.

Clarkson scored 9 goals for Dundee last season, in what, 20-odd games?

If he can replicate that for Motherwell this season, with the majority of his appearences, I assume, off the bench, then we're laughing.

A low-risk signing who knows the club well. He'll come in and give us options. I don't actually see any negative here.

• Like 3

to think Clarkson will replace Sutton is stupid. Clarkson is nowhere near Sutton in regards to goals scored. You can argue about mobility etc, but one thing that Sutton did was scoring goals.

Clarkson has scored a terrible 34 goals in around 160 games.That is since he left Motherwell.

Sutton scored 98 goals in just over 200 games...

At that time Garry oconnor was a better prospect than David clarkson that was the point I was making

O'Connor is a couple of years older than Clarkson and was an established player when Clarky was a prospect. If you look at Seib's comment he said he was one of the most exciting talents - at no point did he claim him to be better than anyone.

Clarkson when he first broke thru was one the most entertaining exciting young talents Scotland had produced.

O'Connor is a couple of years older than Clarkson and was an established player when Clarky was a prospect. If you look at Seib's comment he said he was one of the most exciting talents - at no point did he claim him to be better than anyone.

Other than the others that Scotland has produced over the years ye mean !?

He may have been one of the best in his age group to come out of Hamilton i'll give him that

Good luck and hope he does a job for us.

He may have been one of the best in his age group to come out of Hamilton i'll give him that

the very point im making.

Do I think clarkson is good enough to be a regular starter for us? No

Was clarkson one of the most exciting talents Scotland produced? No

Do I want him to be a success for us? absolutely yes

To get away from the Clarkson chat for a minute I'm pretty sure I saw the clubs twitter reply to a fan yesterday that we may have another signing on Friday but it seems to have been removed. Anyone else see that or was I imagining things after a ten hour shift?

I didn't say ever or mean ever, which is why I had stated at the time he broke thru.

Chris McCart is on record saying he is the most talented player at his age he had and has ever worked with.