2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

To be fair, you judge players on the level of their previous club[/quote

Thats about as flawed as judging them without seeing them play. Just because a player is playing at lower or non league level does not mean they are shite. They may just be waiting for the chance to shine in a top team ie motherwell lets see how they perform then pass comment.

To be fair, you judge players on the level of their previous club

I'd say as rough guide it's not a bad way to do things. Most Scottish Premiership players are good enough to play at this level and not above. The same will be true of Conference and League Two players. If they are both gems it will be some result for the club but the odds are stacked against that outcome.

I got pelters when the last transfer window shut for saying going for Straker and Thomas was dodgy. Expecting guys from League Two and the Conference to make an immediate impact is risky.

By that logic, we should only ever sign current SPFL players. We are the kind of club that needs to be adopting (or re-adopting this strategy). Even if only one of three turns out good enough to sell on, that will keep us in the black. One the reasons I enjoy following a club our size is the enjoyment of watching players come in and develop, from the likes of McAllister and McLair to Faddy and Erwin. Not to mention guys like Arnott and Gahagan that we brought in from the Juniors.

Anyway, if you slate pretty much every signing we make, you are bound to be right once in a while. You were on Higdon's case for long enough and that tuned out OK.

I agree but striker is the most important position and we are currently going with a crock and two players making a massive step up. I think you need to a balance between dependable and potential. Right now it's difficult to point to anyone in our squad as dependable, Laing and Johnson are the best bets and they were both patchy.

My problem with Higdon was that he made no attempt to lose weight with us. Funnily enough when he went over to Holland he dropped a fair bit of weight almost immediately. Similar to Paterson and McGarry suddenly losing weight under McGhee. They were all taking the piss.

I agree but striker is the most important position and we are currently going with a crock and two players making a massive step up. I think you need to a balance between dependable and potential. Right now it's difficult to point to anyone in our squad as dependable, Laing and Johnson are the best bets and they were both patchy.

My problem with Higdon was that he made no attempt to lose weight with us. Funnily enough when he went over to Holland he dropped a fair bit of weight almost immediately. Similar to Paterson and McGarry suddenly losing weight under McGhee. They were all taking the piss.

I disagree that striker is the most important position. Best striker in the world is no good if you don't get the ball to him.

Also, Clarkson was available for most of last season, just dropped. A crock?

I also note in your previous post the "I told you so" about signing players at the level that Straker and Thomas were playing at. No mention of the guy that came from non-league and was outstanding. You should be in politics. Only use the facts that suit your argument...

Johnson was good but i wouldn't say he was outstanding other than in a few games against the weakest opposition. He looks like he will improve though and he is miles ahead of where Humphrey was when he joined.

Clarkson has a chronic knee injury. He will never be 100% again. He didn't start the season until 27th of September and he was done by Christmas.

Based on gut feeling. Same as anyone else proffering an opinion on how we will do this season without having seen us play. Our form after the window last season was mid table and we have cut away a lot of the deadwood and are pursuing largely younger players with something to prove who will be somewhat unknown to the others in the league. I would expect that to give is a bounce going into the new season but it still depends on who else we bring in. The signs at the moment are positive. However, I did think Vigurs was going to be a player for us.......

Was chatting to Fraser Wright at my sisters wedding and he was saying how having Faddy on the training pitch and also around the club was brilliant....might be worth some kind of player / coach role.

No thanks. There's a difference between being a good coach and good to have around the club. Also he's totally finished as a player at our level unfortunately. It's painful watching him trying to play football.