2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

With McDonald in, can someone who has been to the friendlies tell us what they think the striker hierarchy is likely to be?

A very good question. I doubt if Ian Baraclough will even know yet. For starters I'd say Moult and MacDonald - but that could easily change. Maybe we'll adopt a horses for courses approach? I can certainly envisage Craig Moore dropping down the pecking order.

• Like 1

With Clarkson, Fletcher, Moult and now McDonald on board I'd like to see Moore out on a season long loan to a Championship club.

Certainly good to see some competition for places and whilst McDonald could play deeper as a 5th midfielder I'd like to see one more dedicated midfield option along with a non Samson keeper and we should be in decent shape.

Can wait to transfer window for the midfield position, no major rush but another keeper asap.

With Clarkson, Fletcher, Moult and now McDonald on board I'd like to see Moore out on a season long loan to a Championship club.

What good will that do? I'm fairly sure his contract expires next June; I'd much rather he had half a season to get some confidence and came back to prove he was worth another deal. Taking a gamble on a player for another season after a year in the Championship isn't where I think the club should be heading.

Will he be playing as a striker though?

Was very very effective in midfield.

Great news though. Fully expected him to go somewhere else!

Not to be all "guy-who-plays-Football-Manager-a-lot" about it but, I'd imagine he'll play in the same Deep Lying Forward/#10 position just off a main striker in a 442 as he did last season with him dropping in to make a 451 when needed in specific games.

The fact we've indicated we're still looking for a central midfielder should confirm he's not being brought in to play in midfield.

Edited by capt_oats

Not to be all Football Manager about it but, I'd imagine he'll play in the same Deep Lying Forward/#10 position just off a main striker in a 442 as he did last season with him dropping in to make a 451 when needed in specific games.

Make sure you set his training to fitness till as least October! Then set to General.

• Like 3

Conundrum is now where to play him. He was as a few pointed out effective from midfield, but will he want to play there or does he see himself as part of a striking pair?

If it's the former then we kinda have the central midfield cover role filled, if it's the latter I assume Baraclough see's Moult as his preferred starter so Clarkson and Fletcher, looks like 15-20 minutes here and there. I suppose it'll be where he's most effective, thing is with Skippy he is a predator and being too deep curtails that a little.

Just update the wee team list and now we're cooking:

------------------------------------- TBC (Twardzik) --------------------------------------

--- Law (Watt, Reid) -- Laing (Kennedy) -- McManus -- Hammell (Chalmers) ---

Ainsworth ----- Pearson (Cadden) ----- Lasley (Leach) ----- Johnson (Thomas)

--------------- McDonald (Fletcher) ------- Moult (Clarkson, Moore) ----------------

• Like 1

Conundrum is now where to play him. He was as a few pointed out effective from midfield, but will he want to play there or does he see himself as part of a striking pair?

If it's the former then we kinda have the central midfield cover role filled, if it's the latter I assume Baraclough see's Moult as his preferred starter so Clarkson and Fletcher, looks like 15-20 minutes here and there. I suppose it'll be where he's most effective, thing is with Skippy he is a predator and being too deep curtails that a little.

Just update the wee team list and now we're cooking:

------------------------------------- TBC (Twardzik) --------------------------------------

Ainsworth ----- Pearson (Cadden) ----- Lasley (Leach) ----- Johnson (Thomas)

--------------- McDonald (Fletcher) ------- Moult (Clarkson, Moore) ----------------

Nice graphic.

Really crying out for a central midfielder who can also play on the right - similar to Grant for left mid last season.

Goalkeeper is priority number 1!

Praying it's not Samson.

I hope we line up like we did against Rangers this season; we can hurt teams with the pace we have breaking with Ainsworth, Marv, Pearo, Skippy etc. It's also a good system for possession football and using a 5-man midfield to boss things and open up space in behind. (PS - right looking forward to trying this on FM/Fifa now, hah! :lol:)

Ainsworth (Maclean) ----- Pearson (Cadden) ----- Lasley (Leitch) ----- Johnson (Thomas)

------------------------------------------ McDonald (Fletcher) ------- -------------------

---------------------------------------------Moult (Clarkson, Moore) --------------------

• Like 1