2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Similar to Pearson but more of a goal threat from what I saw last year.

A good young prospect, however, according to his Wiki page stats he only scored 2 goals in 25 appearances for Ross County last year and 1 in 27 appearances when on loan with Kilmarnock. I am sure that Barra and his contacts will have another player in mind.

Just reading Jackson Irvine's very honest interview on the move, basically Celtic told him he was free to go but tried to offer him new terms so that they could get compensation from whoever took him, thus getting more money i'd imagine. So if us and County were the only 2 teams in for him thats a good insight on Celtics outlook on their transfer policy. Makes me hate them a little bit more.

"It has been a long month or so, trying to get everything in place. I'm sure you're familiar with the compensation laws regarding players under 23, so Celtic did offer me a new contract. But it was essentially just as insurance so that, when I did leave, they were liable to claim their compensation money. There was never really any plan for me to [stay there]. I was told from the very beginning of the summer I was free to move on elsewhere. It was just about the club sorting the financial side of it, as well as myself. Unfortunately, we didn't part on the kind of terms I would have liked to after nearly six years with Celtic, but I will be hoping to be involved on Saturday."

Just reading Jackson Irvine's very honest interview on the move, basically Celtic told him he was free to go but tried to offer him new terms so that they could get compensation from whoever took him, thus getting more money i'd imagine. So if us and County were the only 2 teams in for him thats a good insight on Celtics outlook on their transfer policy. Makes me hate them a little bit more.

Glad we never had to pay the barstewards after all

Is that not exactly what we did with Lee Erwin?

It's just good business really. Imagine if we didn't offer Lee Erwin a contract. People would go mental!

Note - slightly different I know but still

Quite. I mean, obviously, fuck Celtic, but we'd do exactly the same.

Quite. I mean, obviously, fuck Celtic, but we'd do exactly the same.

I don't think we would at all.

As Irvine implies Celtic shafted him. By offering him a contract it meant if he refused it any club who signed him would be on the hook for potentially 300k compo to Celtic basically making him unemployable.

Celtic wanted to force him to sign the contract then find a team willing to pay them a smaller fee to sign him. Offering a contract whilst also saying he has no future with them isn't how the system is meant to work.

It's scummy behaviour and a poor way to treat a footballer they are trying to develop.

• Like 1

No because if Erwin signed the deal he would have been an integral part of our squad.

If Irvine signed the deal with Celtic they would have let him rot for two years.

Aye, but we knew he wasn't going to sign.

As for whether it's scummy or not, thanks to Bosman, there aren't many ways to make money from transfers these days. The first step that made the rich teams richer and killed the smaller teams like us.

Aye, but we knew he wasn't going to sign.

As for whether it's scummy or not, thanks to Bosman, there aren't many ways to make money from transfers these days. The first step that made the rich teams richer and killed the smaller teams like us.

Celtic have basically held him to ransom. They are saying you have honoured your contract and we don't want you to play here but you can't sign for anyone else unless we get a fee.

A very poor way to treat a guy they brought over from Australia and the fee they will get is a relative pittance. It's the equivalent of us blocking a new club for Carswell or McHugh for the sake of five grand.

If no one was willing to pay a fee they would probably have tried to loan him again to cover part of his wages.

Celtic have treated him as an asset to make money out of rather than as young footballer trying to forge a career. When clubs decide they don't want to develop players any further or use them in the first team they should let them go no strings attached.