2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Lasley and Pearson as centre mids will be no pushovers but I suspect at times we will find there are gaps to be found especially when we play with two wingers.

Lasley will be 36 shortly and with best will in the world must be very close to reaching a point where he can't compete at SPL level. With less numbers it is a big season for someone like Jack Leitch to step up when he gets a chance and hopefully step into being a regular for next season.

Then we might be looking more closely at Pearson to see how much more he has left. No doubt we have one or two gaps in the squad but hopefully some younger players like Leitch, Watt and Thomas who are thereabouts will take that next step.

Lasley and Pearson as centre mids will be no pushovers but I suspect at times we will find there are gaps to be found especially when we play with two wingers.

Lasley will be 36 shortly and with best will in the world must be very close to reaching a point where he can't compete at SPL level. With less numbers it is a big season for someone like Jack Leitch to step up when he gets a chance and hopefully step into being a regular for next season.

Then we might be looking more closely at Pearson to see how much more he has left. No doubt we have one or two gaps in the squad but hopefully some younger players like Leitch, Watt and Thomas who are thereabouts will take that next step.

I agree with much of this. I suspect that the idea will be for McDonald to perform a similar role as he did against Rangers by dropping into the midfield to help out Pearson and Lasley.

As you say, in terms of midfield we'll be looking for Leitch, McLean and Cadden to step up a bit this season...

Last season our central midfield was posted missing on many occasions, a bit less so it has to be said after Pearo arrived and settled in. When we play with 2 wingers you are right in that the opposition usually outnumbered us in the middle. Cadden and Leitch might well have a role to play and it would be great to see them grab their chances successfully. However its a lot to ask of young midfield players to come in and immediately stamp their authority on the opposition, which is what we need right now.

Burrows dropping hints on Twitter that we will sign somebody before tomorrow

It's brilliant having someone keeping us up to date on social media

I'm not sure about this skippy in midfield chat. Against Celtic, Aberdeen and some of the tougher away games fair enough but I want him upfront pressing, scoring goals and being a general nuisance for defenders which was key to our good home form at the end of last season.

• Like 1

It's brilliant having someone keeping us up to date on social media

I'm not sure about this skippy in midfield chat. Against Celtic, Aberdeen and some of the tougher away games fair enough but I want him upfront pressing, scoring goals and being a general nuisance for defenders which was key to our good home form at the end of last season.

Quite - he is far less effective when our midfield sit very deep and there is a huge gap between it and the main striker.

In our last couple of games, I got the impression MacDonald was playing more of a classic No.10 role (or "trequista" for the FM fans) and I feel this is his best position. Sitting behind a striker, more freedom to roam about and create space while being required to drop deeper into midfield and help out and kick off attacks.

He has the ability to make something happen and to bring others into play. I have no doubts in my mind that young Erwin owes much of his move to Leeds thanks to playing with MacDonald for the past few months and I have high hopes he can do the same with Moult and Fletcher.

As others have mentioned, we really have an ageing midfield, and with two wingers we will be exposed at times. With MacDonald in this role, it would be 4-2-3-1 that allows flexibility to shift to a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 during play when/if required.

McDonald will start up front in a 2 most games I would think.

I think that's how it will be on paper but he'll play up front in the same way that McFadden played up front with Lehmann and Clarkson. He'll drop deep to pick up the ball and try to make things happen...

Great to have a new keeper in, but I guess the gaffer didn't manage to get the permanent signing or fulls season loan deal he was looking for.

In fairness Ruddy was an initial 6 month loan and we ended up getting him for the full season. Ripley's signed up with Boro til 2018 (he just signed a new 3 year deal in July) and is pretty highly thought of so a permanent deal would be pretty much ruled out I'd say.

http://www.mfc.co.uk/news/article/2014/middlesbrough-fc-boro-connor-ripley-aitor-karanka-2547204.aspx

In fairness Ruddy was an initial 6 month loan and we ended up getting him for the full season. Ripley's signed up with Boro til 2018 (he just signed a new 3 year deal in July) and is pretty highly thought of so a permanent deal would be pretty much ruled out I'd say.

http://www.mfc.co.uk/news/article/2014/middlesbrough-fc-boro-connor-ripley-aitor-karanka-2547204.aspx

Stuart Ripley's boy I see. God, I'm getting old - I remember him playing on the wing when Blackburn Rovers won the Premier League.

• Like 2