2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Really hope we had a sell on clause attached when we sold him.

£1.75 million isnae too shabby when apparently he was only worth £100/150k when we sold him! Mental.

It's amazing how inflated the prices are down south. If we had managed to get that for him, we could have paid Les back in a single shot and still had a few quid left over.

FFS...ok we will ditch him and try and sign a feckin midget just in case it might happen again. Is wee Dan more to your liking,

My tongue was firmly in my cheek with that comment but I don't have smileys on my phone.

My point is that a lot of people seem to think that signing a tall goalie is the answer to our perceived goalkeeping problems. There's a lot more to being a goalkeeper than just being tall and it remains to be seen if Ripley is better than Twardzik (from the little I've seen of him he possibly is) but he wasn't particularly convincing at the second goal. Hopefully that was just a blip and he will go on to have a great spell with us but he's not guaranteed to be brilliant just because he's tall.

• Like 1

I must admit I'd be pretty amazed if we'd managed to work in a 25% sell on clause into a deal for a player who was in the last six months of his contract.

If it is indeed the case as you suggest Mitch, that's bloody excellent work by whoever negotiated that deal at Motherwell.

If the best we could get for Murphy was around £150,000, what is the likelyhood that we were able to negotiate any kind of sell on clause?

I would love it if we were due anything from this deal, but we were pretty much screwed by the deal with regard to the size of the fee so I can see no reason why it ended there.

Hope I am wrong mind.

If it is £1.75m and we did negotiate 25% then Sheffield Utd letting a well regarded player (from all accounts I've seen) go for £1.3m is good business in isolation considering what they paid for him, but not what I assumed they'd be willing to let him go for.

All our deals now have sell on clauses, so we're looking at £175k at worst I reckon and £625k at best in a column of the balance sheet which is no doubt covered in cobwebs. Good news regardless.

He's done brilliantly at United and deserves his shot at the higher level with Brighton. Will do his Scotland chances no harm at all, and i'd imagine international eyes will be there fairly often anyway to keep an eye on Jack Harper's progress, so he's certainly in the right place if that's his ambition.

Sheffield United's Player of the Year, Players Player of the Year, Goal of The Season, and a reasonable money move up the leagues. Has to be up there with our most successful Fir Park products, and hopefully will be heavily used by the club as an example to our young players and transfer targets of what can happen with the right attitude and hard work.

Potentially also shuts the lid on the Murphy/Goodwillie debate that has rumbled on for 10 years.

• Like 3

If the best we could get for Murphy was around £150,000, what is the likelyhood that we were able to negotiate any kind of sell on clause?

I would love it if we were due anything from this deal, but we were pretty much screwed by the deal with regard to the size of the fee so I can see no reason why it ended there.

Hope I am wrong mind.

We got nowhere near £150,000 with the figure nearer half that. The club can have potentially made more in add on fees alone, but, it'scale an unknown among the rank and file what any clauses were.

Source's brother is on the board at Brammal Lane.

Too many in our own support were quick to undervalue Murphy too

You can say that again, but sadly par for the course. Most weeks there were a number of posts on here of the "hides in games" and "too lightweight" category.

Seems like the best way for one of players to get credit is to leave.

You can say that again, but sadly par for the course. Most weeks there were a number of posts on here of the "hides in games" and "too lightweight" category.

Seems like the best way for one of players to get credit is to leave.

From a Sheffield Utd fan:

"Jamie Murphy sold, £2 million plus add-ons to Brighton.
He's great on his day, easily one of the best players in the league, but is so inconsistent and gets bullied out of games. I'm gutted he's gone as it's not a good time to lose one of your better players, but it's also a good fee. However, it won't be if we waste the money/don't spend any of it."
He was too lightweight. Regardless, he was a fantastic player, but getting a move to Brighton doesn't change any of his attributes.