2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

From his club interview on YouTube and the interview that's posted up on United's site it seems he has qualities that we currently lack in the senior and (presumably) u20s midfields ie: a ball winning midfielder.

I've said before that everything I've seen about Jake Taylor suggests he's a left sided midfielder rather than a central midfielder so I'd hope that this gives us a bit more balance rather than playing him in a position to which he's not particularly suited.

Interesting that Grimshaw's signed until January and the club previously made public the January break clause in Taylor's loan deal as well. Suggests that we/the parent club are going to see how things go for the first few months. Again, it'd seem clear that United won't be loaning us their u21 captain for him to sit on the bench.

Still to see who the 'bosman' that Flow mentioned is but until January I'd say that's us looking at a 4231/442 from the following:

Ripley/Twardzik

Law/Watt/Reid - Laing/Kennedy - McManus - Hammell/Chalmers

Ainsworth/Thomas - Lasley/Leitch - Pearson/Grimshaw - Johnson/Taylor

McDonald/Clarkson - Moult/Fletcher/Robinson

Would suggest that we'd see Cadden & MacLean as definite u20s players until January at least. Which in fairness represents their current squad status at the club. That'd mean the quota of 'our' youth amounts to Thomas, Leitch & Watt.

Either way, I look forward to seeing what Grimshaw brings to the team.

• Like 1

Just a side note in no direct relation to any comment - I've read a lot of articles from a guy named Paul Tomkins from the Tomkins Times, who is a journalist mainly penning about Liverpool, although a lot of his work is based around transfers.

His research suggests that of all the signings that are made by any club, the 'success' rate is around 50%. Even Mourinho and Fergie were at this rate. To rate a manager or the success of all their signings is daft.

No excuse for Anthony Straker though :)

I have a feeling he'll be playing at right back. Lasley is a stick on, Pearson is on the mend and Bara has brought in Jake Taylor.

An interesting and somewhat different take on things. Time will tell.

Overall I'm happy with the signing but just because a player comes from Manchester United (or any other big English premiership club) doesn't automatically mean they'll be a success. We've seen this before with the likes of Stephen Cosgrove and John Hendry.

The lad is a hot prospect at one of the biggest clubs in the world. That will do for me!

He's 20 years old and is being loaned to Motherwell. It's fair to say he has no long term future at Manchester Utd, so wouldn't go down the 'hot prospect at one of the biggest clubs in the world' route.

That's not to say he can't be a terrific player at our level though. From the brief snippets that i've read so far, I'm excitied to see what he can offer. Could we have finally found a replacement for Steve Jennings that we've crying out for for 3 years?

• Like 1

FFS we haven't even seen the boy yet but " he has no long term future at Man Utd "

He's captain of their U20 side so he must have something about him.

Played in UEFA Youth cup and was sent off against Bayern Leverkusen so looks like he puts himself about a bit. Just what we need in the middle of the park.

Looking forward to seeing him in a Well shirt.

He's 20 years old and is being loaned to Motherwell. It's fair to say he has no long term future at Manchester Utd, so wouldn't go down the 'hot prospect at one of the biggest clubs in the world' route.

That's not to say he can't be a terrific player at our level though. From the brief snippets that i've read so far, I'm excitied to see what he can offer. Could we have finally found a replacement for Steve Jennings that we've crying out for for 3 years?

I'd go along with this.

On paper he has the attributes of Jennings and if he can to apply these attributes at our level, then he'll prove to be a good stop-gap at the very least.

I doubt however that Grimshaw or Taylor featured highly on our shortlist at the beginning of the summer. I wasn't expecting anything other than a loan deal yesterday but taking the summer as a whole, it's a tad disappointing that we haven't filled a key position with a more concrete signing. Putting it in perspective though, much bigger clubs than Motherwell have failed to nail their key targets this year.

Motherwell Legend, if you have to quote my tweet on the Grimshaw loan please do it accurately as other readers may grasp my meaning properly. I'm happy to have the boy at the club, I just don't happen to agree with loans of this length, except in emergencies , goalkeeper perhaps. We have an under 20's squad full of developing players battling to impress. What if Grimshaw gets injured, how many games could he actually play. If the loan is not extended who benefits ?

Grant came in on a seasons loan last year, he was hailed a sensation due to a backhealed goal on YouTube ! Did he do a job ? Was he given the chance to do a job ?

FFS we haven't even seen the boy yet but " he has no long term future at Man Utd "

In fairness, I don't think that was meant as a dig, more that there should probably be a bit of perspective about Grimshaw. Kennedy was Man City's development team captain and it didn't stop him being released and ending up in Leicester's u21s. It's only since he's moved to us that Kennedy's even played his first senior game.

It doesn't necessarily follow that because he's their u21 captain that they view him as the next Roy Keane. He may well have a future at United, Beckham was farmed out on loan to Preston after all but equally there are as many of their u21 players released (especially these days) without ever getting close to the first team.

Motherwell Legend, if you have to quote my tweet on the Grimshaw loan please do it accurately as other readers may grasp my meaning properly. I'm happy to have the boy at the club, I just don't happen to agree with loans of this length, except in emergencies , goalkeeper perhaps. We have an under 20's squad full of developing players battling to impress. What if Grimshaw gets injured, how many games could he actually play. If the loan is not extended who benefits ?

I would say that with Pearson out this is the ideal signing. A short term, could be extended if it works, deal.

Potentially, he could be an absolute stand-out for us. Time will tell.

Folk that are "underwhelmed", etc need to seriously get a grip. We have a player that by all accounts we are crying out for who we could likely never afford to buy outright due to transfer fee, wages and the fact he plays for one of the World top clubs! Regardless of whether or not he has a future at United, he must have had something about him to be there in the first place. The fact he was captain of the U20's, suggests he has leadership qualities and that will benefit us as well.

For me, a great piece of business from the club.

• Like 3

Just a side note in no direct relation to any comment - I've read a lot of articles from a guy named Paul Tomkins from the Tomkins Times, who is a journalist mainly penning about Liverpool, although a lot of his work is based around transfers.

His research suggests that of all the signings that are made by any club, the 'success' rate is around 50%. Even Mourinho and Fergie were at this rate. To rate a manager or the success of all their signings is daft.

No excuse for Anthony Straker though :)

ZFA was 10 times worse

Why worry about a short term loan deal. Swings and roundabouts, if he does well for us it is hardly likely to mean Man U are desperate to get him back. Sure it might alert bigger clubs and maybe he ends up Championship bound in January but it isn't that much different from the situation with most of our players. If it turns out he isn't that good or just now the right fit then he is easily discarded.

As for the development of our own young players well if they are good enough I'm sure they'll get their chance, but for the type of player he purported to be I don't think we have one of our own looking ready for the first team sitting waiting right now.