2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Such as? Luke Watt carrying an injury? Or getting too big for his boots...?

He was injured for a while, no? Anyway, Craigan has been keen to point out that some of our guys aren't quite ready to make the step up yet. I imagine it's easier for attackers like Thomas than defenders like Watt to make that step up, because you have more scope to drift in and out of games when you are an attacking player.

instead of playing mcdonald up front where we might actually benefit from having him in the team we go and sign yet another striker in robinson and now samson has appeared,it really does look like we're fumbling about in the dark when it comes to bringing new player's in.

I actually think signing Samson is not a bad bit of business,Ripley probably won't be here past January,Twardzik is not good enough and needs punted, so that leaves Long as our only option ? So we have signed an experienced keeper who may end up as 1st choice 2nd half of the season I don't have an issue with that.

• Like 2

Turning up to training looking like a panda won't help. Requires to show a little humility too I hear...

Disappointing to hear rumours that his attitude might not be quite right as I think he looks an excellent prospect. Still he's only recently turned 18 so has time on his side if he wants to make it...

Samson is potentially the best goalkeeper at the club but it's also true he had a poor season last season and Kilmarnock fans were glad to see him move on and they have a better goalkeeper now (MacDonald) who was free during the summer and surely someone we could have brought to Fir Park if we'd been interested.

As for the 'wisdom' of bringing in a third senior goalkeeper, unless there is something we don't know about, I don't see how it can be justified.

I suspect Baraclough just doesn't see Twardzik as competition to Ripley, as he's said he wants competition in every area.

Spoke to a couple of St Mirren diehards today , both thought Samson is a good keeper, steady and not prone to clangers or worldies.

To be honest I think it's a sensible signing, stability and calm won't do any harm at all.

Maybe Dan could try centre mid?

I'm absolutely serious about this - he couldn't be any worse than Jake Taylor in midfield.

I suspect Baraclough just doesn't see Twardzik as competition to Ripley, as he's said he wants competition in every area.

Sound, so when the players are totally shite, he'll be able to drop them for the 'competition'?

Believe it when I see it.

Like most, baffled by the arrival of a keeper. Can only assume that Ripley is away in January and/or Twardzik has a loan or permanent deal lined up. Any scenario that leads to us having 3 keepers on a first team wage for a sustained period of time would be incredibly concerning.

As for Samson, I've never rated him but i have 100% faith in our fancy scouting software...

Disappointed and surprised by what's been said about Watt. I like the look of him but his absence this season has suggested something untoward is going on. You'd like to think the club would be able to judge a young boys character before offering him a 3 year deal.

Disappointed and surprised by what's been said about Watt. I like the look of him but his absence this season has suggested something untoward is going on. You'd like to think the club would be able to judge a young boys character before offering him a 3 year deal.

There's plenty of youngsters that are bell-ends. I don't mind the club taking a chance on that if they feel they can instill a bit of discipline and humility into someone.

Still disappointing to here he hasn't taken it on board yet.

Anyone remember Paul Mills who played for us in the 80s (when we were in the First Division)?

Seemed like a real talent, and every senior player was raving about him, but always with the qualifier "if he applies himself" and "if he keeps his head screwed on" etc. He scored the last minute winner for us in a game against Dunfermline (crap ref, down to 10 men), but disappeared shortly after. Never resurfaced with another club, and can only assume he didn't apply himself.

Let that be a lesson to all the U20s. It takes more than talent.

• Like 1

Without a word of a lie, I would rather we gave long a place on the bench instead of Samson. Neither will be first choice anytime soon and we may as well give our own players experience of being around the match day squad than taking on a journeyman Scottish football goalkeeper. Feels kind of like we signed Gerry Britten again.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of cockiness in a young footballer on the field. As long as they apply themselves.

Only thing I'd say about Watt is that he's only just turned 18. Most young men at that age, we think we know more than we actually do. He has time to mature but he'll be doing it in the reserves if he doesn't improve his attitude...