2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

They say you should never go back, but I'd invite him back - he'd be better than some of our strike options

http://m.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/13791358.Frustrated_Lee_Erwin_ready_for_Leeds_United_loan_move_after_switch_from_Motherwell/

Could we afford him?

We made him two offers and suggested he'd be better off playing in our first team than Leeds' development squad. He decided otherwise, so we drafted in replacements. We don't need him back.

• Like 4

We made him two offers and suggested he'd be better off playing in our first team than Leeds' development squad. He decided otherwise, so we drafted in replacements. We don't need him back.

Any player who plays half a season of first team football and reckons he's going to go and start every week in the championship is deluded. Everybody could see that except him and his agent.

Jim O'Brien, for example, was a much better developed player (not saying better, just further on in his development) when he went down south and it took him nearly two years to become a standard name on the team sheet type player at Barnsley.

Young players need to stop believing their agents.

He went down there for money.

If he fails to break through he'll get a club up here again no problem.

Of course he went for money. And I don't blame him. I blame the people that advise guys like him.

When you're that age, taking the money now rather than waiting a year and getting more later will always seem the best approach. And if you're an agent, you want your player to make as many moves as they can. That's why so many end up back here.

• Like 1

I just don't understand it. I wish more players would go the Gauld/Anya route. Go abroad, actually learn new shit. Might not earn as much at Tenerife or Mallorca than at some middle order League 1 team but you'd be in with a shot of playing against some of the best players in the world while living a few miles or so from a beach.

They say you should never go back, but I'd invite him back - he'd be better than some of our strike options

http://m.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/13791358.Frustrated_Lee_Erwin_ready_for_Leeds_United_loan_move_after_switch_from_Motherwell/

Could we afford him?

I would welcome him back - but not this season unless we plan to offload a couple of strikers on the cheap.

He left too early. I think he probably knows that and expected to be a bit closer to the first team than he is right now going from some comments in his interviews to the press. Ye live and ye learn.

I just don't understand it. I wish more players would go the Gauld/Anya route. Go abroad, actually learn new shit. Might not earn as much at Tenerife or Mallorca than at some middle order League 1 team but you'd be in with a shot of playing against some of the best players in the world while living a few miles or so from a beach.

While not disagreeing with you, did anya not end up there because he had tried everywhere else?

Don't actually know, that was just my impression. I was sure he'd ended up at that hoddle academy thing.

No doubt Erwin went there for more money, and he might be disappointed that he's not getting any first team action. That doesn't necessarily make it a bad move for him though; at a club the size of Leeds he'll still be benefitting from better facilities (and arguably better coaching, given our current predicament) than we could offer him, and whoever he ends up being loaned out to could still be playing a higher standard of football than a bottom-half Scottish Premiership club.

It's the guys like Tom Hateley who give it all the "bigger challenge" chat and then struggle to get a four month deal at Tranmere Rovers that I'm more inclined to reserve my "telt ye's" for.

The training facilities are obviously better, but I'm not convinced about the coaching (in the lower leagues at least). Given what we've seen from the English players that end up at Fir Park it's rare that they have better technique than their Scottish counterparts.

Like you say, though, could still work out fine for him. Maybe the ideal would have been for us to sell him, but hold in to him for a year.

Erwin lost the best part of 2 seasons to 2 injuries and done well to recover. With that history, you can't blame him taking a big money offer, particularly to a club with the history and fan base of Leeds.

A few months in League 1 could do him and Leeds the world of good. If he stays fit and keeps his head screwed on, he'll undoubtedly play for Scotland one day.

While not disagreeing with you, did anya not end up there because he had tried everywhere else?

Don't actually know, that was just my impression. I was sure he'd ended up at that hoddle academy thing.

It's less dignified than that. After release from Oxford and being rejected by clubs like Hamilton he went to the GH Academy, was then loaned to some non league mob and then Northampton. Northampton wanted to keep him though but he chose to stay in Spain with Sevilla (playing for Sevilla Atletico), Celta (playing for Celta B) before getting his break with the Udinese Group when he signed for Grenada which seen him get loans to Cadiz and Watford (before a permanent move).

I might be way out but I don't think he'd be where he is if Accies hadn't rejected him before his move to GH or if he signed on at Northampton.

If he's lucky Erwin will be playing for a Hibs or a Dundee Utd in a year or two from now. Leeds were pretty charitable paying any fee, never mind the amount we got.

What was it? A hundred grand for every goal he scored? Laughing all the way to the bank.

Although I think you have worded it harshly. I get the jist of yer point and have said similar.

Not sure if he was ever linked with the Well, but have it on good authority Gormley was to be a £30,000 signing for St Johnstone at start of the summer. Had all been agreed with Tommy Wright, until the insurance bill at McDiarmid Park for their injuries last season came in and wiped out the funds for the move. Smashing striker as well, would have grabbed a fair few in the Scottish Premiership.

It's less dignified than that. After release from Oxford and being rejected by clubs like Hamilton he went to the GH Academy, was then loaned to some non league mob and then Northampton. Northampton wanted to keep him though but he chose to stay in Spain with Sevilla (playing for Sevilla Atletico), Celta (playing for Celta B) before getting his break with the Udinese Group when he signed for Grenada which seen him get loans to Cadiz and Watford (before a permanent move).

I might be way out but I don't think he'd be where he is if Accies hadn't rejected him before his move to GH or if he signed on at Northampton.

Cheers, interesting stuff, that.

I've got to say, I've spent some time talking to Anya and his 'auntie', his mum's best friend. He was one of the loveliest guys I've met in the football world, along with Ian Wright.

His aunt said it was always his dream to play for Scotland and he was delighted when he signed for Watford and made it to be a professional footballer, full time.

We all make decisions in life, but with all his success, Anya was just a great guy who seemed ecstatic to be playing at international level and kept saying, 'if I'm called up to the next squad.' I met him at lunch the day after a qualifier at Hampden.