2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Thats what he has to look forward to for a few seasons loaned out to whoever will have him until Leeds punt him at the end of his contract.

I'm sure the 5 grand a week he'll be on for the next 2/3 years will soothe the pain!

Not sure this qualifies as an out:

but interesting to read that one of the youngsters, in the elite academy structure and connected with Motherwell is heading back out to Benfica for a 3 week training camp.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/motherwell-youngster-swapping-braidhurst-benfica-6588514

CARLUKE'S Tom Leighton will train with Portuguese giants for a three week training camp
Wishaw Press Leighton.jpg
Tom Leighton

TALENTED footballer Tom Leighton will be swapping lessons at Braidhurst High School for training at Portuguese giants Benfica.

The Carluke youngster, who is currently training with Motherwell’s under-17 squad, will fly out to Lisbon this Sunday for a three week training camp with the two-time European Cup winners having impressed club scouts during a number of summer training sessions.

As well as improving his skills, Tom has also had the chance to mix with a Brazilian football legend.

He said: “The facilities over there are tremendous. They had so many training pitches and they had a couple of stands there for fans.

“When my mum phoned me to say that I was asked to go back and they wanted me over there for three weeks I was delighted.

“The training drills are very technical and have helped me.

“They are very technical so have really helped my game when I have been with Motherwell.

“We also got to meet the former Bayern Munich and Brazil defender Lucio while we were over there and we got our pictures taken with him and signed a few autographs.”

Tom, who can play in the centre of defence or at right back, will be joined at the training camp by youngsters from across the globe including teenagers from South Africa and Serbia.

The 15-year-old will receive one-to-one coaching as well as continuing his school lessons and picking up basic Portuguese from club tutors.

Tom is looking to build on the expert coaching he has been receiving at both Motherwell and at Braidhurst High, one of the SFA’s elite performance schools.

The Carluke resident is following in good footsteps as last year Scottish talent Ryan Gauld switch Scotland for Portugal as he signed for Sporting Lisbon.

With Tom looking to make waves at their rivals, he has been helped along by Motherwell greats.

Having stepped up to Well’s under-17 side, Tom is now working under the guidance of Motherwell captain Keith Lasley and experienced defender Stephen McManus

The youngster is delighted to be able to pick the brains of fellow centre back McManus, who has a wealth of experience having captained both Celtic and Scotland during his career.

Tom added: “Working with Keith and Stephen since the summer has been brilliant.

“They are always encouraging us and Stephen in particular has been a great help because he plays in my position.

“They are always giving us advice and I think we have all improved since we have came back in the summer; they’ve been outstanding.”

Ex-SFA coach previously at Braidhurst now employed by Benfica is the link.

My nephew, a season ticket holder at ours, is part of the elite system at Braidhurst & has attended Benfica earlier this year through that programme & again was asked over in the summer. Awarded their prestigous Rui Costa award for his achievements, he was offered an extended stay with use of a personal translator et all. Suspect he'll be back. Still can't bring myself to shout "C'mon the Hibees" when I go to watch him at his current club though.

• Like 2

I see Erwin has his own thread on the bury forum http://www.gigglane.com/showthread.php/28016-Erwin

I don't like to be negative, but I felt he contributed nothing, looked confused,acted confused and his effort was abysmal on the ground and in the air. Perhaps there is an element here of disappointment to lose a 2-0 lead and a woeful ref to boot but Erwin's efforts and fitness was not worthy of a Sunday league team in my opinion. You are probably thinking that's harsh and maybe it is, but its as I saw it and maybe if he gets a run out again he will make me eat these words ( I hope so!), but in the meantime it was an underwhelming debut to say the least.

I get the impression some on here taking a wee bit of pleasure in seeing Erwin not succeed.

You're not wrong to be fair, some folk are absolutely gagging for him to fail. Not quite sure why, boy knocked his pan in for us last season and for me he was one of the few to come out of it with any credit.

Good luck to the boy, if I had two dodgy knees and some big English club waved a three year contract that could set me and my family up for life in front of me I'd probably sign it as well.

I'll follow Lee's career with interest as I do with almost all who leave Fir Park and I hope he eventually goes on to do well for himself in England.

What I would say though is that for a variety of reasons he didn't have that extended period that allowed you build up a similar depth of feeling you had for say the likes of a Murphy of McFadden when they went to England.

If Faddy or Murph were enduring tough times down there I would feel genuine disappointment for them. If Lee's struggling I'd likely be more inclined to think "ahh well".

• Like 3

I'll follow Lee's career with interest as I do with almost all who leave Fir Park and I hope he eventually goes on to do well for himself in England.

What I would say though is that for a variety of reasons he didn't have that extended period that allowed you build up a similar depth of feeling you had for say the likes of a Murphy of McFadden when they went to England.

If Faddy or Murph were enduring tough times down there I would feel genuine disappointment for them. If Lee's struggling I'd likely be more inclined to think "ahh well".

That is it in a nutshell for me.

As far as I saw he had 1 season in the first team and a handful of good games. Someone I will be interested when I see his name pop up but no more really.

Not to worry, we'll all get a chance to establish a proper fan/player relationship wi big Lee when he inevitably winds up back at fir park in his 30s (after hopefully a successful career soon sooth) LOL

That's what all Motherwell exports do isn't it???

• Like 1