2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Interestingly John Sutton is not getting a regular game for St Johnstone; a few appearances from the bench, thats all. Not the massive loss that some of us predicted. .

To be fair he's been kept out the side by maybe the player of the season so far, Steven MacLean.

Since we've not managed to score two goals in a league game this season I don't think we should be crowing about our tremendous goal scoring ability and forward options.

• Like 1

To be fair he's been kept out the side by maybe the player of the season so far, Steven MacLean.

Since we've not managed to score two goals in a league game this season I don't think we should be crowing about our tremendous goal scoring ability and forward options.

To be fair, Sutton was shite, didn't have much scoring ability, never mind tremendous ability, and most of the supporters would be a better forward option.

Sutton was shite.....if you think otherwise, May I suggest Specsavers ??

• Like 2

To be fair, Sutton was shite, didn't have much scoring ability, never mind tremendous ability, and most of the supporters would be a better forward option.

Given he was our top scorer the last few seasons, he was obviously less shite than the rest of our options during that time.

• Like 1

Given that literally only a handful of players, arguably our greatest ever players (St. John, Pettigrew, Quinn, Deans, Humphries), have scored more goals than him in a Motherwell shirt in the post war era I'd suggest your ability to judge players isn't what it could be.

• Like 1

Given that literally only a handful of players, arguably our greatest ever players (St. John, Pettigrew, Quinn, Deans, Humphries), have scored more goals than him in a Motherwell shirt in the post war era I'd suggest your ability to judge players isn't what it could be.

I reckon I could think of 20 forwards from the 80s onwards that I would play in front of John Sutton, the large majority all scored less goals than him.

• Like 1

I just think it's quite funny that we're debating John Sutton again.

In a sense its almost re-assuring that there certain topics or incidents that it isn't a case of if they'll be discussed again, but when they'll be discussed again.

I'm just going to type the words Stevie Woods, Rangers, Scottish Cup and Omar Daley,McDiamid Park and substitution stand back, watch and laugh....

Name them

In no particular order sir;

Walker, McClair, Coyne, Arnott, Coyle, Spencer, Clarkson(1st time around), Murphy, Ferguson, Falconer, Jutkiewicz, Blackman, Lehman, Cusack, Ojamaa, McDonald, McFadden(played as a striker), Kirk, Higdon, Goodman.

Off the top of my head.

• Like 1

In no particular order sir;

Walker, McClair, Coyne, Arnott, Coyle, Spencer, Clarkson(1st time around), Murphy, Ferguson, Falconer, Jutkiewicz, Blackman, Lehman, Cusack, Ojamaa, McDonald, McFadden(played as a striker), Kirk, Higdon, Goodman.

Off the top of my head.

What you've done their is reel off a list of Motherwell strikers simply because you don't like Sutton.

Sutton scored more goals in one season than a lot of those guys Motherwell careers combined. Spencer? Who ripped the club off and didn't try a leg for a whole season on massive wages? Falconer? Actually quite a similar style player to Sutton but with less goals or club longevity? Blackman? Lehman? Goodman? Really?

Might as well throw in Stevie Cowan, Bart Verheul and Mario Dorner in there, if that's what you really think.

• Like 2

I just think it's quite funny that we're debating John Sutton again.

In a sense its almost re-assuring that there certain topics or incidents that it isn't a case of if they'll be discussed again, but when they'll be discussed again.

I'm just going to type the words Stevie Woods, Rangers, Scottish Cup and Omar Daley,McDiamid Park and substitution stand back, watch and laugh....

I raised it Andy as it seemed to me to be a question that had been left unanswered from months ago. At the time he left there was a great debate on here about whether it was a crime to let him go or whether he'd simply had his day. I think its interesting to discuss, to a limited extent ie not going on and on indefinitely how such players have fared, not out of continuing interest in a former player per se but to reflect in hindsight was our decision right or not.

Imagine only scoring goals eh. Useless.

Surely no matter who the player is, if he's in the side and you score goals, and then he's not in the side and you don't goals, you miss him by default? I wouldn't imagine it's even up for debate...It's a cause/effect thing, the persons name doesn't make a difference?

Everything has to be taken in context and big handsome was worth a great deal more to the Motherwell teams he played in than perhaps the majority of the names mentioned.

Good god, someone mentioned Gordon Mair ??????

The bloke wasn't even a striker so should we include big softie in that list too? He used to score some belters in the tennents 6s????

I can't help but think that the manner in which McGhee likes to set his teams up, John Sutton would be a valuable asset to him right now.

Everything has to be taken in context and big handsome was worth a great deal more to the Motherwell teams he played in than perhaps the majority of the names mentioned.

The bloke wasn't even a striker so should we include big softie in that list too? He used to score some belters in the tennents 6s????

I can't help but think that the manner in which McGhee likes to set his teams up, John Sutton would be a valuable asset to him right now.

Nobody mentioned Mair... 'Mare' as in Cleland Hills speak for 'More' when offering other (which are poor even by his standards) examples.

Now breathe...

That bloke was hardly a footballer never mind striker, luckily he has not been mentioned in the list.

He should only appear in one list, the subject of motherwells all time worst players.

Funnily, over the last 10-15, maybe even 20 years it would be hard to include any players that played for Motherwell in a worst list alongside, Night mair, John 'The cat' Gardener, etc. But in the last year or so we may have a few contenders. Seems Straker and Law could be right up there.

Sutton had a nack for being in the right place at the right time. But he brought little else to the game and very often he would be an absolute waste of a jersey.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I'd still rather have that, than not have anybody in the right place at the right time. To use the old cliche, goals are what wins games. All the running, and all the fancy tricks and flicks in the world don't mean a thing if you can't put the ball in the back of the net.

I'm not saying we should have built a team round Sutton, but his nack for scoring goals is something I would love to have at the moment.