2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

What you've done their is reel off a list of Motherwell strikers simply because you don't like Sutton.

Sutton scored more goals in one season than a lot of those guys Motherwell careers combined. Spencer? Who ripped the club off and didn't try a leg for a whole season on massive wages? Falconer? Actually quite a similar style player to Sutton but with less goals or club longevity? Blackman? Lehman? Goodman? Really?

Might as well throw in Stevie Cowan, Bart Verheul and Mario Dorner in there, if that's what you really think.

Who said I didn't like John Sutton? I have no ill-feeling towards him.

My list is based on footballing ability alone. I'd take all those mentioned above at their footballing peak over auld handsome at his peak.

If you don't like it, ack I won't lose any sleep over it.

Surprised , unless I've missed it, nobody has mentioned Jim Hamilton,---- Goal of the Decade wasn't it! For the Record, in my opinion John Sutton was great for us, not the most mobile but knew where the net was!

You say that as if being in the right place at the right time isn't one of the most important skills a Number 9 can have.

No, not at all.

Big John, I think, when he was in form and the team played and was built for him he was magic. Superb finisher most of the time and a guaranteed double figures goals stat every season.

But when the team wasnt structured around his strengths or they couldnt play to them he offered little else.

• Like 2

Big John, I think, when he was in form and the team played and was built for him he was magic. Superb finisher most of the time and a guaranteed double figures goals stat every season.

But when the team wasnt structured around his strengths or they couldnt play to them he offered little else.

Absolutely. Suts was a one dimensional player. If we were on top in a game and could get the ball into the box then he'd do the business. However if we had to play counter attacking football or he had to play up front on his own then he didn't offer much. Latterly he just didn't suit our style of play.

I'm personally a big fan of Sutton. I think some of the comments on here about him being unfit are ridiculous as he would run himself into the ground every game even if it wasn't going his way. I think a great example was the 6-6 game against hibs where he didn't give up and kept looking for a goal. Some of his link up play with Murphy was great and to have a striker in your team who is guaranteed to get 10 goals or more a season is a fabulous asset at this level.

• Like 5

What you've done their is reel off a list of Motherwell strikers simply because you don't like Sutton.

Sutton scored more goals in one season than a lot of those guys Motherwell careers combined. Spencer? Who ripped the club off and didn't try a leg for a whole season on massive wages? Falconer? Actually quite a similar style player to Sutton but with less goals or club longevity? Blackman? Lehman? Goodman? Really?

Might as well throw in Stevie Cowan, Bart Verheul and Mario Dorner in there, if that's what you really think.

As a dyed-in-the-wool Sutton detractor, I've got to agree with Ya Bezzer here. Some of the names on your list Infamous Wee Grafter, are shockers I'm afraid.

The criticism of Sutty is quite sad really. Gannon had him tasked with running the channels despite him having the pace of a man pulling a caravan and last year we gave him absolutely no service yet he still finished our top goalscorer by some distance.

If you play a style of football which suits him, i.e. battering the ball to his feet in the 6-yard box he had a knack of getting a foot in front of a defender and invariably scoring.

The criticism of Sutty is quite sad really. Gannon had him tasked with running the channels despite him having the pace of a man pulling a caravan and last year we gave him absolutely no service yet he still finished our top goalscorer by some distance.

That was more Brown, wasn't it? He stuck Sutton on the left a few times.

We got Goodman well past his prime but in his day he was a decent player, Blackman also had potential but never showed it. As for the other 3 i agree they were terrible.

Blackman scored 10 goals in 17 starts for Motherwell, what were you expecting exactly?

Admittedly he downed tools for his final few games once he got a new contract at Blackburn sorted but you can't say he didn't do us a turn when he was here.

Falconer

Blackman

Lehmann

Goodman

John Hendry

Oi I never mentioned John Hendry, no one mentioned him.

Don Goodman, as someone mentioned above, came to Scotland to pretty much retire. During the late 80s & early 90s, he was far superior to John Sutton. He was bought for fees over 750k(91/92) & 900k(94/95) and to put those fees into comparison, Man United bought Roy Keane for only 3.75m in 1993. Im sure you'll agree he was playing in a higher standard back then than recent years' SPFL/SPL.

Nick Blackman - again his transfer moves suggest that clubs disagree with your opinion. A club has even paid over a million bucks for the fella. Handsome in his most potential era moved to Millwall for less than a 100k. He's then been available at least 6 times for a free transfer and Hearts have been the "biggest" club to sign him. Why didn't the likes of Sheff United/Reading etc come calling on a freebie but opted for the likes of Blackman, Murphy, Higdon etc?? Do you honestly believe he could have played in the English Premiership like Blackman has?

Willie Falconer - again perhaps forgotten about him but as a kid he managed to play in a very successful Aberdeen(including SAF's era) team before heading south to Watford for a fee over 250k. Now again, surely you agree that the standard of football in the 80s & 90s was far better than Sutton's SPFL/SFL era?

Dirk Lehmann - our paths first crossed during 1998/99 when he played with Fulham(they romped the league) in the same division as City. I used to watch quite a bit of this league and the standard wasn't too shabby. I've no doubts that we'd bite our hands off for players like Lehmann, Dickov, Goater etc etc in recent years. Again perhaps by time he arrived at Fir Park his best days were behind him but i'd still pick him over JS. Impressive Hibs debut v us too, chuckle chuckle.