2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

So we can we say that McClair was better than Sutton but worse than Roddie using that method?

If you want to be like that then aye, you can. It just seems pointless to compare players times at other clubs where they had little effect on/for us.

If you want to be like that then aye, you can. It just seems pointless to compare players times at other clubs where they had little effect on/for us.

Also comparing Oranges and apples. Like faddy or Tommy Coyne with John Sutton.

Sutton was a penalty box striker, and despite not looking the most athletic did a great job for us sticking the ball in the net.

His assists stats are doubtful to be in double figures, but that wasn't his job.

Did you see Watt's performance in the last U20s game? Amazing goal he scored, but had a bit of nightmare defensively. Crags didn't sound like he thought he was quite ready for the step up.

I thought he did OK last season when he filled in at left back if he's going backwards is it the training , or lack of.

I thought he did OK last season when he filled in at left back if he's going backwards is it the training , or lack of.

I don't think he's going backwards - I just think it's unrealistic to expect him to step into the right back slot and solve our problems. He's still pretty raw and inconsistent despite his talent and any decent SPFL winger is likely to take advantage of that.

Only pre season I know, but Watt looked far and away the best right back we have. Able to control a ball, tackle, could beat an opponent One on one going forward and did not get ruffled. Compare that to Law and the nightmare that Laing dished up. Time to give him a chance or else what is the point. Maybe if he had not gone battling on a night out he would have been in already. Oh, nearly forgot, he can also shoot which is a novelty in this team

• Like 1

The point is a huge section of our fans don't have the patience to let our youngsters develop in the first team with inconsistent performances and inevitable mistakes.

I'm all for giving them the opportunity, but I defer to the U20s boss when it comes to assessing readiness.

I accept that our fans can be impatient, but in my opinion they would a lot more patient with a youngster like Watt than they currently are with the dross which has featured at right back this season. As an example re youngsters, Thomas makes plenty of mistakes when he comes on and the fans don't get on his back. Law gets abuse the moment he steps on the park. Laing was just rank rotten and looked lost in an unfamiliar position.

Most fans round me were disappointed Watt was not first choice at the beginning of the season and are keen for him to come in ASAP. Quite a few go along to the Under 20s and say he is a standout when selected. I honestly believe he is our best prospect (hate that word) and needs to be tested to progress. If not given his chance very soon, there is a danger he will go the way of McHugh and the like. More importantly, we must get the right back position sorted.

• Like 2

Both barraclough and craigan had said none of the youngsters were ready to start regularly in the first team. If anyone is likely to know its craigan. Worryingly, while we are on the topic of youths, I have heard that there is a short to medium term change in focus from developing our own right through the teams to trying to cherrypick youngsters from other, less resourceful, clubs to address the lack of quality coming through our ranks. This is an acceptance that our current youth setup is not delivering what it should.

One of the clubs believed to be targeted was Livingston but they have had their most promising youths within their academies for years and we can't afford the compensation for any of them.