2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

I looked at it a while back. From whom I considered true youth products, I excluded Hutchinson, Page, Francis-Angol, Hetherington and Cummins in that, due to them only joining us at U19 level, since the "Class of 02", currently only Murphy plays at a higher level, with Reynolds and Lawless being the only ones who play at the same level.

In that time, only really Murphy has gone on and proved he can play at a better level. Only really Reynolds and Alan Martin have got moves to what would be perceived as bigger clubs down south other than him and it's safe to say neither really made it there.

If you take out Murphy and Reynolds (proving to be the exception) rather than the rule then the average amount of games our youth products get is alarmingly low. I'll dig up the stats tonight, but it proves how much of a true failure our academy really is. Whether that is through reluctance to play good young players (McCall was very guilty of this) or the players not being good enough is open for debate.

I'd still like to see a list of players from other teams that meet the "brought on" criteria. I think it would be a pretty short list these days.

Guys like Harry Kane are said to be a product of the Tottenham Youth system, for example, but he was at Arsenal when he was 8 and had a spell with Watford when he was 11 before joining Spurs at 11. Does that mean he doesn't count?

I'd still like to see a list of players from other teams that meet the "brought on" criteria. I think it would be a pretty short list these days.

Guys like Harry Kane are said to be a product of the Tottenham Youth system, for example, but he was at Arsenal when he was 8 and had a spell with Watford when he was 11 before joining Spurs at 11. Does that mean he doesn't count?

The way I done it was if a player had been with us prior to under 19s or 20s, he was included, otherwise he wasn't.

Man United have just moved up a place in my "despicable clubs" list.

Why do you say that? I realise we're guessing as to the terms and conditions of his loan to us, and of his move to Preston or wherever, but as I see it the loan has worked well for all parties. For MFC he came in to the first team and made a positive contribution. For Man Utd, they're presumably reducing their outgoings on wages (and / or getting a fee) for a player who's unlikely to get into their first team. For the player, he's shown himself capable of first team football at a decent level, and presumably got a good contract at the end of it.

I'd much rather loans worked out like that than say like Jake Taylor's, where no-one has got much out of it.

As previously mentioned rumours seem to be he is Preston bound. So that'll be a 2nd United youngster who's been out on loan, impressed and with 6 months left on his deal been moved on. The other being Ben Pearson who had a good loan spell at Barnsley and got shipped out for 100k yesterday, also to Preston.

Be interesting if we're after any other United youngster to replace him.

Shame how this has worked out, but that is the way with players on loan. Good luck to the lad at Preston. He undoubtedly did us a turn and I reckon we have been good for him as well, once we got our management problems sorted.

No need for panic signings. Might be a little bit makeshift against Hearts but there is more to be gained in recruiting the "right" player rather than the "right now" player. Did you see what I did there?

Shame how this has worked out, but that is the way with players on loan. Good luck to the lad at Preston. He undoubtedly did us a turn and I reckon we have been good for him as well, once we got our management problems sorted.

No need for panic signings. Might be a little bit makeshift against Hearts but there is more to be gained in recruiting the "right" player rather than the "right now" player. Did you see what I did there?

Saw it. Liked it. Using it.

• Like 1

Davie Cooper ,what a signing .

Cooper and Russell in the same team. Not too bad.

We also have them to thanks for Ross McCormack, Dom Thomas and back to guys like Vic Davidson who was a great foil for Wullie P. And almost, but not quite directly, Tommy Coyne.

EDIT: Guys like Kenny Lyle too, but enough said about that.

anyone else impressed wi the Stranraer keeper Max Currie last sunday? Looked a prospect at only 18. And we released him last summer!!!!

One swallow doesn't make a summer.lost count of the number of folk who thought George Long was a world beater based on his Play-Off performances, clearly the same people didn't witness his typically fumbling performances

It's still a step up from the SPFL play-offs.

Best of luck to him, but I'm not going to be nipping into Terry's for an "l❤️George" number any time soon.

Ripley will do me for the rest of the season, now where's my "Aspiring Midfield Generals available for a song" catalogue?