2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3396211/Manchester-United-recall-Liam-Grimshaw-loan-spell-Motherwell-Preston-eyeing-permanent-transfer.html

A mid table championship club close to home, playing with former Man Utd colleagues, and no doubt offered a good wage, nobody can blame the lad and good luck to him. The English championship is full of players of his ilk but having been to a couple of Charlton and Brentford games this season, after a settling in period, I'm sure he will do a job for them at that level. Indeed, he'd walk into the Charlton team right now.

Personally speaking I thought Grimshaw showed immense maturity for his age, in fact, I thought he was definitely future captain material and to hold on to him permanently would have been, in football manager terms, "a coop " for the club.

Hugly disappointed that his parent club have acted in such a a manor (and well within their right) to sell him on for a fee. I tell you what, best of luck Grimmy, you were probably too good for us anyway.

So we're writing off Jack Leitch after only 12 starts for the club, spread over a few seasons..?

I suspect we don't have a great track record of rearing our own because if they're not world beaters right away then they're not good enough in the eyes of a lot of our fans. Not an ideal environment for nurturing young players...

So we're writing off Jack Leitch after only 12 starts for the club, spread over a few seasons..?

I suspect we don't have a great track record of rearing our own because if they're not world beaters right away then they're not good enough in the eyes of a lot of our fans. Not an ideal environment for nurturing young players...

For the first part I would say yes, Jack has done absolutely nothing to make me think he is worth any more money then Stuart Carswell who, if i remember right moved for bugger all. Jack seems to be a smaller, more immature version of Keith Lasley, he has no physic, no ambition to create or have a shot on target and can't really tackle (let's face it, would you put your money on him breaking up an attack?).

I wouldn't say that they have to be "world beaters" just simply have a basic understanding of the game and a good level of fitness/ability. Two things I would say jack does not seem to have compared to a Liam Grimshaw (who has sealed himself a quality move to Preston). Does Chris Cadden have those attributes, I doubt it but let's see...maybe the manager can bring I. Some other starlet. That's all part of the fun of being a Motherwell fan.

I am not writing him off but given he has had only a few unused sub appearances under McGhee , and none recently, I would say he has probably lost ground to the likes of Cadden and even Laing in the middle of the park. Up to him to really step up in the U20s and take his chance if gets one in the first team before end of season.

Why do you say that? I realise we're guessing as to the terms and conditions of his loan to us, and of his move to Preston or wherever, but as I see it the loan has worked well for all parties. For MFC he came in to the first team and made a positive contribution. For Man Utd, they're presumably reducing their outgoings on wages (and / or getting a fee) for a player who's unlikely to get into their first team. For the player, he's shown himself capable of first team football at a decent level, and presumably got a good contract at the end of it.

I'd much rather loans worked out like that than say like Jake Taylor's, where no-one has got much out of it.

You're just jealous of them and all they've achieved.

Never gets old.

I wasn't being completely serious,but aye, I don't particularly like Man United but they are obviously well within their rights to recall him.

For the first part I would say yes, Jack has done absolutely nothing to make me think he is worth any more money then Stuart Carswell who, if i remember right moved for bugger all. Jack seems to be a smaller, more immature version of Keith Lasley, he has no physic, no ambition to create or have a shot on target and can't really tackle (let's face it, would you put your money on him breaking up an attack?).

I wouldn't say that they have to be "world beaters" just simply have a basic understanding of the game and a good level of fitness/ability. Two things I would say jack does not seem to have compared to a Liam Grimshaw (who has sealed himself a quality move to Preston). Does Chris Cadden have those attributes, I doubt it but let's see...maybe the manager can bring I. Some other starlet. That's all part of the fun of being a Motherwell fan.

He played very well in the 3-3 draw with Celtic season before last and then was made scapegoat (along with Nielsen)"for the heavy defeat to Dundee United shortly afterwards.

In the preseason friendly against Preston this season, he played a cracking pass for Moult to score.

Are these isolated incidents enough to say he should be starting every week? No, but there clearly is some ability there.

And you doubt that Cadden has the ability to make it? Based on his extensive first team appearances? That's nine sub appearances for a guy who only turned 19 in September.

The class of 02 (as they're being called) made plenty of mistakes. And we're allowed to do so because we had no one else. But they learned. It seems nowadays that it's not a luxury afforded to our young players...

• Like 1

Hugly disappointed that his parent club have acted in such a a manor (and well within their right) to sell him on for a fee.

I'm a bit disappointed myself. Apparently, he arrived under what is known as a "Development Loan", which means a player can be recalled before the end of the loan period, if he is required. I have no problem with that in principle. In Liam Grimshaw's case, the loan period was due to expire on Sunday evening. Given that he isn't required by Manchester United, as they don't have an injury crisis, I don't see what harm it would have caused, if he had stayed on until Sunday and then returned back south. I fail to believe that an extra 5 days would be a deal breaker in his move to another English club.

As far as Jack Leitch is concerned, Mark McGhee mentioned at the Society evening last November that he didn't think he was ready for first team football. A bit strange given that the lad has had 15 starts and a good few appearances from the bench. Make of that what you will.

I'm a bit disappointed myself. Apparently, he arrived under what is known as a "Development Loan", which means a player can be recalled before the end of the loan period, if he is required. I have no problem with that in principle. In Liam Grimshaw's case, the loan period was due to expire on Sunday evening. Given that he isn't required by Manchester United, as they don't have an injury crisis, I don't see what harm it would have caused, if he had stayed on until Sunday and then returned back south. I fail to believe that an extra 5 days would be a deal breaker in his move to another English club.

I suppose the issue is that he could have picked up an injury. If they are picking up a fee then they wouldn't want to miss out, though would £200k or whatever really matter to Man Utd?

He was never our player though, so we cannot do anything about it. With the bigger clubs signing mor and more of the available talent, it is something clubs like ours will have to learn to live with.

On a different note, I've always liked Leitch in the limited times I've seen him play. You have to doubt that he has the physical stature to compete with other SPFL midfielders though.

Given that some of us on here remember Shaun Fagan play 72 times over 7 seasons, I'm sure that both Leitch and Cadden are better players than him!

I heard not only were we close to keeping Grimshaw, but a permanent deal was in the offing. Which makes it more disappointing - but that's the downside of loans. Sometimes you get a Grimshaw you want to keep, sometimes you get a Jake Taylor.

I think we are forgetting, even though I doubt he had that much involvement in the Grimshaw transfer to Preston, that Man U are currently managed by a man who seems to have turned into a complete lunatic.

United's reserves are looked after by former PNE player Warren Joyce. I'd imagine that he'd have had more of a say than anything. The two clubs seem to have been doing a fair amount of business together lately.

Having read a few Preston forums it'd seem they had been looking at Grimshaw last year as well.

LvG has always been a total maniac though.