2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

McGhee is aware of it too. Any time I have heard him discuss bringing in players he has talked about how we need experience to cover for Lasley and Hammell.

That to me is the wrong solution. We have Pearson to take the "old head" role in midfield, I'd rather see one of our young players act as cover for Lasley. If they prove not to be good enough, at least we can find out now before the likes of Lasley retires and we can plan accordingly...

McGhee is aware of it too. Any time I have heard him discuss bringing in players he has talked about how we need experience to cover for Lasley and Hammell.

That to me is the wrong solution. We have Pearson to take the "old head" role in midfield, I'd rather see one of our young players act as cover for Lasley. If they prove not to be good enough, at least we can find out now before the likes of Lasley retires and we can plan accordingly...

I think there's also an issue to be addressed re: Pearson as well. Our record with/without him has often been cited. As it stands we play with 3 central midfielders and our midfield seems to totally fall apart if we lose either of Lasley or Pearson let alone both.

I'm not sure which of our young players does actually fit the Lasley role. Any time I've seen Cadden he seems more suited to the area of the park that Grimshaw was playing (without necessarily being the same sort of player). After that you're looking at the likes of Leitch who as has been mentioned hasn't had a minute on the park under McGhee. Even if Laing was to step into midfield I don't think he'd be an obvious fit immediately.

Edit: Here's the league record 15/16 with & without;

With Lasley

P 17 - W 6 D 4 L 7

Without Lasley

P 4 - W 1 D 0 L 3

With Pearson

P 14 - W 6 D 3 L 5

Without Pearson

P 7 - W 1 D 1 L 5

Kevin Thomson until the end of the season might be wise as well.

The guy who asked to be released from his contract because his body has packed in and he can't take it anymore.

That Kevin Thomson?

Naw, yer awright.

• Like 1

I think we need both. At the weekend, swapping in an experienced Las replacement plus one of the youngsters would have been an improvement.

It sounds like McGhee is actually keen to blood the youngsters. However, on MFC TV (or whatever it's called these days) he said that would happen after we hit 40 points - the number he thinks will ensure we stay in the league.

When we do well it is because we managed to keep our small squad fit. When we have done badly it's when we have more than a couple of injuries. This is the same for every other non old firm club. We simply can't afford to pay for quality bench players.

With the money that was thrown at baraclough we should have went for relative quality over quantity. A single decent backup for each line is enough, with the youth there to cover in the instance we lose two players at a position.

Hopefully we can manage to swing something to move twardzik, Robinson and maybe a couple more (Reid, clarkson) on this month and bring in a midfielder for cover, but realistically it looks like we will have to wait until the end of the season and reset, which is going to be interesting with mick, lasley, hammel, skippy, and Ripley all gone, and fletcher, Moore, Reid, twardzik and Robinson all following. I can see us trying to extend the oldies another year.

I don't think Reid will play for us again until February if he is still here. If he plays before then he will be playing for his second club and will not be available for loan or transfer until next season. I am sure we want him off the payroll this January

I don't think Reid will play for us again until February if he is still here. If he plays before then he will be playing for his second club and will not be available for loan or transfer until next season. I am sure we want him off the payroll this January

Seems about right. Otherwise he would have been a better option than Hammell at right back for Tynecastle.

Anything we can do to clear the dead wood and help ease the wage bill this January has to be positive in the longer run. We have a substantial squad but unfortunately a large proportion of it is deemed unfit for purpose.

Best bet is to off load the dead wood like charmers and personality I would sell ainsworth as his performances this season have been terrible if the club sell these two and bring in some quality in midfield who can act as cover for lasley and Pearson we will be set

Agreed, but we have to find buyers first.

• Like 1