2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

The good Christians of Bothwell will be praying for Les the philanthropist and his billionaire wife.

To be fair his brother seems to have been a church elder for years. But still...just gie us the money Les!

Back on topic: Aidan Connolly released by Dundee Utd. Always thought he looked useful but can't say I know much of how he played game in game out.

Back on topic: Aidan Connolly released by Dundee Utd. Always thought he looked useful but can't say I know much of how he played game in game out.

Suggestions are that he's training with Raith. If United fans are anything to go by Connolly didn't really show up, was too lightweight etc. Given that Erskine's signed a PCA with Thistle with a view to him moving during this window and McGowan's apparently off to China then it looks like there's a clear out starting at United.

If P&B is anything to go by Telfer will be next out the door.

Edit: seems Dow is another one. Speaking to St Johnstone about a PCA.

£400k might sound tempting to the money men, but with 2.5 years left on his contract, the EPL having mega millions and Scottish Clubs being able to demand million pound plus fees for their players then I’ll be quite disappointed if we get rid of him at this first bid. By all means, open negotiations and push up the price, or reject it and we can look to cash in on him in the summer. We are far from clear of that playoff spot and £400k now is not going to go far if we are relegated and downsizing in the summer.

• Like 3

£400k might sound tempting to the money men, but with 2.5 years left on his contract, the EPL having mega millions and Scottish Clubs being able to demand million pound plus fees for their players then Ill be quite disappointed if we get rid of him at this first bid. By all means, open negotiations and push up the price, or reject it and we can look to cash in on him in the summer. We are far from clear of that playoff spot and £400k now is not going to go far if we are relegated and downsizing in the summer.

This.

I think this is more likely to be an agent getting his clients name out there. It used to happen with Humphrey every window.

If Bournemouth stay up they'll be in the top 30 richest clubs in Europe. Players at Marvin's level won't be getting anywhere near their squad.

Suggestions are that he's training with Raith. If United fans are anything to go by Connolly didn't really show up, was too lightweight etc. Given that Erskine's signed a PCA with Thistle with a view to him moving during this window and McGowan's apparently off to China then it looks like there's a clear out starting at United.

If P&B is anything to go by Telfer will be next out the door.

Edit: seems Dow is another one. Speaking to St Johnstone about a PCA.

Looks like your right about the clear out. I always liked the look of Dow as well.

"Johnson, 25, is being lined up as a back-up option should Bournemouth's move for Phillips fail to materialise"

Matt Philips is rated at £8million- obviously your Plan B is a 400k winger- YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS

Mischief making methinks, although I think we should give some serious thought to anything north of the £2million mark

Unless he has a clause in his contract, 400k seems a bit light. We have time on our side but it would help if there was some competition for his signature.

If Bournemouth stay up then the TV deal down there next season equates to something like £10m per game. Even the Championship is something like the 13th highest revenue generating sports league in the world (NFL, MLB, EPL, NBA & NHL being the top 5) so it's fair to say that £400k is probably a bit light for a team (small as Bournemouth are) competing in the 3rd wealthiest league in the world. He's signed an extension in the summer presumably in the hope on the club's part that such an eventuality as this would come about. So if there is any legitimate interest then this is a test of the club, the board and Les Hutchison's resolve. They claimed the whole point was that they needed to be more effective in the transfer market, I guess we'll see how effective we can be.

Whether you think Johnson's a good player or not is actually kind of irrelevant in so much as it's totally subjective. In essence it's what he's worth to the selling club and what he's worth to the potential buyer to have him in their squad that's important. Again, to reinforce the point they just paid £8m for Lewis Grabban whose best performing seasons have been playing at Championship/League 1 level and £10m for Afobe from Wolves, again a player whose only prolific seasons have been at Championship/League 1. Their compensation deal with Blackburn for Josh King was £1m.

Given that West Ham apparently paid Accies £1m for Hendrie, Norwich £1m for McGrandles, Hull paid close to £3m for Robertson gives an idea of relative values. Even Celtic paying £1.5m for Cifci and the best part of £2m for Armstrong works as a frame of reference.

Does Marvin Johnson have the same potential as someone like Robertson? Possibly, possibly not however presumably he was offered (and signed) the extension as some sort of insurance in terms of maximising his valuation.

Sbcmfc, if you would accept 400k for one of our currently most sellable assets with 2 and a half years left to go on his deal then thank goodness you are not involved in the club decision (hopefully!).

Couldn't agree more Capt Oats, on your post. In the grand scheme of things and recent transfers between SPFL and England...400k is light.

Norwich paid Falkirk £1m for that McGrandles guy?

"reported" £1m http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28966896

there's a few places quote it as £1m (Soccerbase) others as the BBC link "up to" £1m.

Edit: Forgot about this one, Tony Andreu from Accies to Norwich for £1m+ http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11709/9696898/transfer-news-norwich-have-had-a-bid-accepted-for-hamiltons-tony-andreu

Looks like your right about the clear out. I always liked the look of Dow as well.

Dow's a cracking player, would take him in a heartbeat. I doubt he'll come to us though as his Dad didn't have many good words to say about us when we showed him the door.

I'm pretty sure Ryan Dow was a mascot at one of our games as a kid when his dad played for us as well.

Sbcmfc, if you would accept 400k for one of our currently most sellable assets with 2 and a half years left to go on his deal then thank goodness you are not involved in the club decision (hopefully!).

Couldn't agree more Capt Oats, on your post. In the grand scheme of things and recent transfers between SPFL and England...400k is light.

The club needs money now though. We've had big loses and there is probably poor cash flow at this stage in the season. Can you put your hand on your heart and say Marvin Johnson is worth £400,000?

It's a big gamble to turn down that amount of money on a player who even his most fervent fan would have to say has been inconsistent. If he drops out the team or doesn't kick on while his contract runs down, he loses value.

Someone mentioned Ali Crawford and there is a case in point. He was superb last season but hasn't played at that level this season - would you pay more or less for him now or last season?

£400,000 seems more than a fair price to me and would represent significant income for the club. Could you get more in the future? Possibly but on what we've seen I think the odds would be against you.

Dow's a cracking player, would take him in a heartbeat. I doubt he'll come to us though as his Dad didn't have many good words to say about us when we showed him the door.

I'm pretty sure Ryan Dow was a mascot at one of our games as a kid when his dad played for us as well.

Are you sure they're related?