2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Theo Robinson contributed little. He didn't get many chances but his performances didn't really justify the manager giving him another chance.

His time here frankly wasn't memorable enough for his name to even come up in years to come when we talk of worst ever Motherwell teams...

Never quite understood his signing in the first place - not after we had secure Skippy, Clarskon Moult & Fletcher. I remember 'Flow tweeting it Baraclough wanted 5 strikers, but he was never likely to be more then 2nd string.

Exeter will have made a good few quid from their two televised games against Liverpool recently.

To think they've thought that Jake Taylor woud be a good way to spend some of that cash... Oh dear!

I don't think I ever saw him doing anything bad on the park, but that's basically because he'd spend the entire time making sure he wasn't involved in the play. Back down the road as hide n seek champion!

Official confirmation up that Jake Taylor has gone as well, even tho he has been for nearly a month anyway!!

Maybe we had to wait for his deal to officially expire.

Good news that we have freed a couple of wages, though. McGhee said he had irons in the fire so hopefully they will come to fruition. Of course it's a lot easier to identify targets than sign them.

Exeter will have made a good few quid from their two televised games against Liverpool recently.

To think they've thought that Jake Taylor woud be a good way to spend some of that cash... Oh dear!

I don't think I ever saw him doing anything bad on the park, but that's basically because he'd spend the entire time making sure he wasn't involved in the play. Back down the road as hide n seek champion!

Just looked at his Wikipedia page there, turns out he's been at Exeter on loan before. Indeed they're the only club he was loaned out to that he got any decent number of games (30) everywhere else (and there have been a few) it's been single digits.

Presumably they know what they're getting.

It's long term replacements for Hamell and Lasley that should be our priority. We've had two seasons warning that their best days are behind them and we've done nothing about it.

Problem is we will never be able to replace Hammell and Lasley with the same level of quality. That standard of player isn't available to us through any other means than youth development.

That's why they have been around for so long, and by the way, are still two of our best players and will be two of the first players on the team sheet ever week if they are fit.

• Like 2

I'd imagine the latter. He only had 5/6 months left anyway.

As has been said it makes sense for all parties. He's only started 3 games since August. Presumably Port Vale will be able to match his wages at least and will give him game time that he clearly wasn't going to get here. In which case it's in his interest to actually play.

Though it's not really a surprise as such from seeing his recent squads, it was interesting to see McGhee admit in the news stories accompanying Robinson's departure and the official termination of Taylor's deal that he'd already let both know that they weren't really in his plans. In Taylor's case as far back as December, which we already knew from McGhee's press interview.

Begs the question a bit as to whether or not there are others who very obviously haven't been involved at either 1st team or u20 level that will have been given the same message and whether we'll possibly see another couple of bodies out this week?

Twardzik is a possibility, and Faddy (if his deal in the states is still a goer). Other than that it will most likely be a couple of youngsters out on loan.

So we should have the wages freed up from Grimshaw, Taylor, Robinson, and poss twardzik and one other to put towards a half decent midfielder or two. I'm guessing these will be loans.

• Scottish forward James McFadden was not in camp today. That’s a good thing. The Union don’t need to waste money on an aging, foreign veteran. He trained with the Union last season and it appears that they decided to pass.

Ouch... That’s fine I hope we keep him, as I still reckon he has a lot to offer.

Ouch... That’s fine I hope we keep him, as I still reckon he has a lot to offer.

As harsh as the comment is, given that he's still under contract to us until the end of January then it's fairly unlikely that he would be over there now either way.

Edit: The quote directly before that is basically going on about how they're wanting to add a striker and they're still looking to add to their roster.

As far as the MLS goes for every Pirlo, Lampard and Gerrard there's also a Sean St Ledger, Giles Barnes and Steven Caldwell.

For what it's worth I thought all the MLS chat seemed really premature. I suppose we'll see what happens.

Given that he probably is not on big money, and genuine quality is thin on the ground in our price range, he would be worth a deal until the end of the season if he is fit enough to give us an hour starting one week with a half hour off the bench the next. Our squad needs thinning and a team of hammer throwers might get us to safety this season (we definitely need to harden up) but it would be good to have some quality as well.

Problem is we will never be able to replace Hammell and Lasley with the same level of quality. That standard of player isn't available to us through any other means than youth development.

That's why they have been around for so long......

Hammell and Lasley have been good servants to the club and these days players tend to be more mercenary and move on more often; thats just the nature of the game now. The truth is though that they have been good club players no more no less. In terms of quality probably mid Premiership. They both flirted with English Championship clubs but failed to make the grade. Had they been a bit better ie Paul Quinn / Jamie Murphy / Mark Reynolds standard then they would have moved on to bigger clubs (Dundee United, Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs years ago). In terms of quality they have been a good match with the club's status for the past 10/15 years and provided us with a good degree of continuity and stability. We have been able to bring in established pros of a similar and slightly higher standard (Porter and Humphrey for example) but have been unable to retain them.

No idea if he will end up in the MLS or not, but I can tell you there are plenty of players in that league who'd struggle to get into our first team.

For anyone that's interested, the list of the 2015 salaries for every player is available here (pdf file). I dont know what he would be offered, but there are guys in the team on $60,000 per year.

http://www.mlsplayers.org/images/September%2015%202015%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf