2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

From what I gather from one of The Secret Footballer's books 'normal' players moving to MLS is not about salary, but is more about lifestyle & getting visas and permits for staying/living in the US once a career has finished.

The marquee/designated players are the exception to the rule in terms of salary and standard.

• Like 1

No idea if he will end up in the MLS or not, but I can tell you there are plenty of players in that league who'd struggle to get into our first team.

For anyone that's interested, the list of the 2015 salaries for every player is available here (pdf file). I dont know what he would be offered, but there are guys in the team on $60,000 per year.

http://www.mlsplayers.org/images/September%2015%202015%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf

one thing I got from that was that Bradley Wright-Phillips is earning 6 times what Shaun is. Probably for the first time in his career he is earning more.

Hammell and Lasley have been good servants to the club and these days players tend to be more mercenary and move on more often; thats just the nature of the game now. The truth is though that they have been good club players no more no less. In terms of quality probably mid Premiership. They both flirted with English Championship clubs but failed to make the grade. Had they been a bit better ie Paul Quinn / Jamie Murphy / Mark Reynolds standard then they would have moved on to bigger clubs (Dundee United, Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs years ago). In terms of quality they have been a good match with the club's status for the past 10/15 years and provided us with a good degree of continuity and stability. We have been able to bring in established pros of a similar and slightly higher standard (Porter and Humphrey for example) but have been unable to retain them.

Fair enough with Lasley, can't argue with that statement on him, but I can't help but think you are being quite harsh on Hammell. He was a first pick for Southend his entire time there and seemed to be quite well thought of. It's not like they tried to get rid of him- he started for them two days before he rejoined us. I think it was more the case of us having a few quid from the Paterson deal and him personally wanting to come back up the road.

Both of them have been absolutely tremendous servants for us, absolutely no doubting that, but I've always thought of Hammell to be on a slightly higher level technically than Lasley and that if he had persevered down south he would have been able to play at what is perceived as a higher level for a good few years. The importance of his calmness on the ball at full back can not be overstated in my opinion, when he's not playing the lack of it puts us visibly more on the back foot.

On another note, pleased Jake Taylor and Theo Robinson are offski. Any time I seen Jake Taylor he looked like he was trying to claim Brian Kerr's hide and seek title and Robinson was a totally unnecessary signing from the off who didn't do anything to impress me when on the pitch. However, his departure now makes McGhee's decision to bring him on against Accies all the more baffling.

Fair enough with Lasley, can't argue with that statement on him, but I can't help but think you are being quite harsh on Hammell. He was a first pick for Southend his entire time there and seemed to be quite well thought of. It's not like they tried to get rid of him- he started for them two days before he rejoined us. I think it was more the case of us having a few quid from the Paterson deal and him personally wanting to come back up the road.

Both of them have been absolutely tremendous servants for us, absolutely no doubting that, but I've always thought of Hammell to be on a slightly higher level technically than Lasley and that if he had persevered down south he would have been able to play at what is perceived as a higher level for a good few years. The importance of his calmness on the ball at full back can not be overstated in my opinion, when he's not playing the lack of it puts us visibly more on the back foot.

Hammell and Lasley are different kinds of players. As far as Hammell is concerned, he is very much a mixed bag. First and foremost he is a defender and full back. Defensively however I would say that he is lower Premiership / Championship standard. It has never been the strong part of his game. All too often he is caught out of position, and by that I don't mean up the park when we are on the attack. He's also prone to being caught out frequently on the wrong side of a player for example. I've no doubt that he is one element (of many to be fair) in our poor defensive record in recent years. That said I do prefer him to the likes of Straker or Chalmers.

Attacking wise he is a different kettle of fish and is a good mid Premiership standard. He had a bit of pace, and has always been good bombing up the wing or as an option for out ball. All this is only my opinion of course although I know some others agree and yet others disagree. But... the proof of the pudding and all that. If he likes playing in Scotland fair enough nothing wrong in that. However if he was of an upper Premiership standard you'd have thought the likes of Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen or Dundee United would have snapped him up but they never have. So that tells us something. To be fair they may have spoken to him but he refused to move because he likes out club so much ...I don't know.

Hammell and Lasley are different kinds of players. As far as Hammell is concerned, he is very much a mixed bag. First and foremost he is a defender and full back. Defensively however I would say that he is lower Premiership / Championship standard. It has never been the strong part of his game. All too often he is caught out of position, and by that I don't mean up the park when we are on the attack. He's also prone to being caught out frequently on the wrong side of a player for example. I've no doubt that he is one element (of many to be fair) in our poor defensive record in recent years. That said I do prefer him to the likes of Straker or Chalmers.

Attacking wise he is a different kettle of fish and is a good mid Premiership standard. He had a bit of pace, and has always been good bombing up the wing or as an option for out ball. All this is only my opinion of course although I know some others agree and yet others disagree. But... the proof of the pudding and all that. If he likes playing in Scotland fair enough nothing wrong in that. However if he was of an upper Premiership standard you'd have thought the likes of Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen or Dundee United would have snapped him up but they never have. So that tells us something. To be fair they may have spoken to him but he refused to move because he likes out club so much ...I don't know.

Personally I've never found him to be overly suspect defensively, he makes mistakes like any human defender but I've never found them to be a major flaw in our side. I think he has aged and is not the player he was a few years ago, but that's just a natural process. I could probably name you a few better left backs in the Premiership just now, but I don't think that makes him any easier to replace on a budget like ours.

Regarding other Scottish clubs coming in for him, Aberdeen also bid for him in January 2008 when we brought him back and I've heard that in 2012, Hibs (still in the Premiership) came in and offered him a rise on what he was on at Motherwell, but instead he accepted a new deal which had a decent sized reduction on what he was on at us at the time. Those are just two examples I can name, Celtic and Rangers aside, I have little doubt Hammell could have got a move nearly anywhere in the Scottish top flight if that was what he so desired.

Alan Burrows on Twitter saying there's a couple of things the club are trying to tie up that might be concluded today. Not sure if that's in's or out's or a bit of both.

Interesting that he's Tweeted that they're hoping a few will move on and a few will come in. Given he's posted that this morning you'd think there's a couple more to go out beyond the confirmed departures yesterday.

I'm astounded at the criticism of Hammell.

He is a rare commodity, a player who is a left back to trade, who gives a natural balance to a back four. He doesn't flap under pressure , contributes in attack. For a relatively short guy, he wins a ridiculous amount of headers.

He's never been world class, but he is worthy custodian of the the magical number 3 jersey.

Clearly he has adapted his game as he's got older, but if you're looking to apportion faults in our defence I think he has many more pluses than minuses.

• Like 12

I'm astounded at the criticism of Hammell.

He is a rare commodity, a player who is a left back to trade, who gives a natural balance to a back four. He doesn't flap under pressure , contributes in attack. For a relatively short guy, he wins a ridiculous amount of headers.

He's never been world class, but he is worthy custodian of the the magical number 3 jersey.

Clearly he has adapted his game as he's got older, but if you're looking to apportion faults in our defence I think he has many more pluses than minuses.

This. 100%.

• Like 1

Stevie Hammell at Motherwell:

Over 400 appearances.

2 cup finals.

Twice part of teams that finished second in the league.

Aye, he's a low SPL/Championship defender...

If all our players were as good and consistent in their position as Hammell is in his, we'd win a lot more games...

• Like 6

Also amazed at the criticism of Stevie Hammell. Aye, the last 18 months or so haven't been kind to him injury wise, but when you consider the amount of football he's played since he came into the first team at 17, it was going to catch up with him eventually.

Even still, we are a far, far better team with Hammell in it. I think it'll be a long time before we find a player able to replace him.

As far the rumoured departures, I would imagine Twardzik is a strong contender to be released from his deal. I'd assume a couple of the youngers ones out on loan too, with Watt and Thomas being the best bets.

Stevie Hammell at Motherwell:

Over 400 appearances.

2 cup finals.

Twice part of teams that finished second in the league.

Aye, he's a low SPL/Championship defender...

If all our players were as good and consistent in their position as Hammell is in his, we'd win a lot more games...

Aye, that's all well and good, but he's no Derek Murray.

Even you know that's a pile of pish.

I reckon you could count his truly terrible performances on one hand. Other than a seldom few, he's been consistently good year after year.

If we had a few others of his ability in the team we would be a much better side.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14229797.Marvin_Johnson_move_from_Motherwell_to_Bournemouth_is_a_non_starter__says_Mark_McGhee/

Marvin Johnson move from Motherwell to Bournemouth is a non-starter, says Mark McGhee
4665570.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=mc3

23/01/16 - LADBROKES PREMIERSHIP . MOTHERWELL V ROSS COUNTY . FIR PARK - MOTHERWELL . Motherwell's Marvin Johnson (right) is tackled by Ross County's Marcus Fraser (left). (53508886)

3823911.jpg?type=thumb

Scott Mullen, Group Sports Writer / 05:04 Tuesday 26 January 2016 / Sport

Want more local news stories like these via email?

MARK McGHEE has poured cold water on reports that Bournemouth are considering a swoop for Motherwell’s Marvin Johnson.

But the Fir Park manager has warned any potential suitors that they will need to get their cheque book out if the Ladbrokes Premiership club are to let go of one of their top assets.

It emerged last week that the Premier League Cherries had the Well winger on a short list of targets for this January transfer window, no doubt down to the performances the 25-year-old has turned in during his year in claret and amber.

Johnson’s electric pace and quick feet have caught the eye of many, particularly during the Premiership play-off with Rangers and into this season.

Aware of his credentials, Motherwell signed the former Kidderminster Harriers man up on a contract extension during the summer that keeps him tied up until 2018, and McGhee insists it will take something special for that stint to be cut short.

“There’s been no contact,” said the Motherwell manager of Bournemouth’s reported interest. “I think someone took a flyer because there was a Bournemouth scout at the Hearts game, and I think that was it.

“I see some of the fees that are getting mentioned for players not just up here but down the road that I know. I see Marvin’s ability, his attitude every week and his temperament, he can play at a very high level.

“If someone comes looking for him we will have to consider it but it will take something significant to allow that to happen.”

While McGhee looks to hold on to Johnson, the Motherwell manager is content to let one of his number go in the form of striker Theo Robinson.

The Jamaican internationalist was brought in by his predecessor Ian Baraclough back in August but the former Derby man yesterday left Fir Park to join League One outfit Port Vale.

Robinson’s spell in Lanarkshire was a largely unfruitful one. The 27-year-old only managed 11 appearances with no goals to his name.

It meant he fell down the pecking order of strikers at the club with Louis Moult and Scott McDonald going on to form a solid partnership.

Despite that, Vale manager manager Rob Page was delighted to acquire his man on a deal until the end of the season, who could be set to make his debut against old club Doncaster tonight.

“We’re over the moon to have added Theo to the squad,” said Page.

“He’s a striker who looks to run in behind and score goals and he’s got vast experience in the Football League as well.”

McGhee, who is understood to be added: : “It’s not quite worked out for Theo here at Fir Park, but that can happen, particularly if the manager who signs you leaves so soon after you arrive.

Share article

“This is a good opportunity for us to try and reshape the squad a little during the January window.”

As hinted at by the Motherwell manager, it is understood there will be further comings and goings at Fir Park before the transfer window slams shut next week.

Stevie Hammell's first touch is the best I've seen at Fir Park, the amount of "passes" that are launched at him and he stops dead is unreal.

Exactly this. It was the first thing noticeable when Francis-Angol got an extended run in the team last season when Hammell was out. Hammell eased off other teams pressure so much with his composure on the ball, whereas Zaine treated it like a hot tatty. As a result, we were under so much more pressure defensively with the frequency the ball was given away. Not only does Hammell's composure and passing help start our own attacks, it also stops opposition's attacks and limits their frequency with his ability to retain the ball. Several left midfielders, such as Jamie Murphy, owe the service up the line they got from Hammell a lot to their development.