2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

It looks to me as if McGhee is trying to get some positive PR for himself in with the Higdon chat - and still making a mess of it!

Alan Burrows confirmed fairly early doors on deadline day that the Higdon deal was a non-starter due to the two-club rule.

Its not took McGhee long to lose the plot this time around.

How many of our players has he now criticised publicly? Kennedy, Laing, Ainsworth and Moult?

As for the Higdon chat then if we have pondered this for more than 2 seconds, then it is sheer incompetence on behalf of the club. More worryingly, McGhee seems to want a big striker to suit his long ball tactics.

I know that what is often said in public differs greatly from what is said in private......so what do folk think McGhee is trying to achieve here?

Certain serial offenders have escaped his wrath so far also (hello McManus, hello Law) but Moult (of all players) is now getting publicly criticised?!?!

Moult might not have scored for a few games but he's knocked his pan in for the cause this season!!

Maybe it's a cunning plan and McGhee knows what he's doing? Hmmmm.....

Aint oor players a sensitive bunch! Luckily we can stand up for them all.

It's nothing to do with sensitivity. Good managers rarely criticise their own players in public unless it's to produce a reaction.

Criticising the likes of Laing and Ainsworth, two of our better players, and then freezing them out is of no benefit to Motherwell.

It's nothing to do with sensitivity. Good managers rarely criticise their own players in public unless it's to produce a reaction.

Criticising the likes of Laing and Ainsworth, two of our better players, and then freezing them out is of no benefit to Motherwell.

Neither of those player you mentioned have been anywhere near "two of our better players" this year.

I remember McGhee is his 1st spell taking off Lasley at Falkirk just after half time when he was our best player on the park and McGhee was subsequently booed. We went on to lose the game and I think go bottom of the league. Afterwards McGhee said he couldn't give a monkeys what the fans thought. An arrogant twat of a man.

• Like 1

I remember McGhee is his 1st spell taking off Lasley at Falkirk just after half time when he was our best player on the park and McGhee was subsequently booed. We went on to lose the game and I think go bottom of the league. Afterwards McGhee said he couldn't give a monkeys what the fans thought. An arrogant twat of a man.

I was at that game and remember that. I don't know if we went bottom, but we certainly lost!!

It looks to me as if McGhee is trying to get some positive PR for himself in with the Higdon chat - and still making a mess of it!

Alan Burrows confirmed fairly early doors on deadline day that the Higdon deal was a non-starter due to the two-club rule.

Aye, I can't really see the need to disclose that in all honesty.

OK, if you go for someone and they sign a deal for someone and won't be on your radar any time soon then fair enough there's an argument to be had for "leaking" that you were keen. I remember McCall doing the same with, oddly enough, another Dundee Utd striker (Bilate?) ended up scoring a winner against us.

It's not beyond the realms that Higgy remains unattached to the summer or might still be in McGhee's thoughts for a pre-contract. Publicly stating that you were keen and only rules held you back could either alert someone else to move in fast or encourage his agent to add an extra couple of hundred quid on to his demands.

Better just keeping schtum in my view.

I didn't want McGhee back, his 2nd season last time around was really and truly shite, his whoring about of himself to all and sundry and his subsequent move to Aberdeen, and the reaction that received from our fans at Pittodrie made me think it was the wrong appointment...

...however, this dissecting every sentence that comes out his mouth and criticising every tactical change he makes is fucking cringeworthy. The man will be our manager until at least the end of this season and the shite on this board over the past few weeks has been diabolical in the extreme and will help nobody, not the players, not the fans and certainly not McGhee. Anything above 11th will do me this season and it should satisfy every single person in our support considering the utter riot he inherited from Baraclough, Burrows and the Board.

• Like 3

As for "not caring what the fans think" - I should hope not. The last thing any club needs is a gaffer that makes changes based on the chat coming from the stands.

Agreed in the large majority of cases but keep it to yourself that you think like that rather than say it publicly. Doesn't help anyone by getting the fans back up.

...however, this dissecting every sentence that comes out his mouth and criticising every tactical change he makes is fucking cringeworthy. The man will be our manager until at least the end of this season and the shite on this board over the past few weeks has been diabolical in the extreme and will help nobody, not the players, not the fans and certainly not McGhee. Anything above 11th will do me this season and it should satisfy every single person in our support considering the utter riot he inherited from Baraclough, Burrows and the Board.

This

Two players that the majority of us were delighted to sign-on in the summer. They haven't had a fair crack under McGhee,

I was also delighted they did. However they were not very good from the start of this season.

A fair crack? I would trust that the management team seeing them everyday would give them a fair idea of what they think about them. If they give it a push in their daily job I am sure if they deserve a crack, they would get one.

• Like 1

I was also delighted they did. However they were not very good from the start of this season.

A fair crack? I would trust that the management team seeing them everyday would give them a fair idea of what they think about them. If they give it a push in their daily job I am sure if they deserve a crack, they would get one.

Equally can we put into context the extent to which Ainsworth has been "frozen out"? McGhee's been in charge for 16 games, Ainsworth has been involved to varying degrees in all but two of them (Accies & Dundee). Certainly he's been given less minutes in the past few games but on the whole he's been used as an impact sub invariably getting anything up to 30+ mins on the park.

Celtic - sub 53' (L)

Aberdeen - sub 53' (X)

Kilmarnock - started (subbed 90+1) (W)

ICT - started (played 90') (L)

Ross County - started (subbed 62') (L)

Hearts - sub 68' (X)

Dundee - sub 63' (W)

Celtic - sub 45, sub off 81' (W)

St Johnstone - sub 61' (W)

Hamilton Accies - didn't feature in match squad (X)

Cove Rangers - sub 53' (W)

Hearts - started (subbed 68') (L)

Ross County - sub 76' (L)

Dundee - unused sub (X)

Partick Thistle - sub 86' (L)

ICT - sub 88' (L)

It'd be fair enough to say he's not been getting starts but the idea that he's been "frozen out" is daft. He's not been banished to play with the 20s. When it comes down to it Ainsworth isn't starting because we can't play with two wingers. When we do we're too open teams run over the top of us in midfield. That should be obvious to everyone. The alternative is to either drop Johnson (which may be detrimental to the balance of the side) or drop a striker (either Moult or McDonald).

There's an argument to be had as to whether he should be playing ahead of Johnson or not but apart from (rightly or wrongly) getting called out for losing his man against Thistle he's been pretty regularly involved by McGhee.

• Like 2

Definitely fits in with our new signing/transfer philosophy. I don't know much about him but he seems to score for fun for the Pars.

A good wee story too, he only started playing 11-a-side football about 3 or 4 years ago as well.

Scott Burns is generally on the ball when it comes to Motherwell news. However, like others have said, there will be others after him too.

Have been impressed with him in the few clips i've watched. Would be interesting to see, if this comes off, how he would handle the step up.