2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

We had the same sort of arguments about Stephen Craigan when he was turning out for us. I think Craigan was a much better Motherwell player than McManus is but as you say who do people expect to bring in and be much better than McManus?

An Andrew Davies? A Stuart Findlay? A Tam Scobbie? A Danny Seaborne? That's the level of player we'd be attracting.

Agreed. When you watch someone like O'Dea getting absolutely ragdolled by Rangers at the weekend it kind of puts things into a bit of context.

FWIW, I'd take Davies. He's looked smashing when I've seen him. You're quite right though, Dundee, for example, have what, five centre-halfs? O'Dea, Gadzhalov, Julen, Konrad and McPake (although he's broken)? I wouldn't take a single one of them over what we've got.

Guys like McManus are a compromise between experience and talent.

It can be frustrating when he switches off for a few minutes during games, especially when you see what he can bring when he is 100% focused. On the other hand, I doubt Ben Hall would have made the same progress if he didn't have the experience of McManus talking him through a game. Also, if McManus conducts himself as well in the changing room as he does in his press conferences, I can imagine that is a very positive influence on the guys around him.

Also, if McManus conducts himself as well in the changing room as he does in his press conferences, I can imagine that is a very positive influence on the guys around him.

Aye, that 'he's lost the dressing room' story he put out last year was a belter, right enough.

FWIW, I'd take Davies. He's looked smashing when I've seen him. You're quite right though, Dundee, for example, have what, five centre-halfs? O'Dea, Gadzhalov, Julen, Konrad and McPake (although he's broken)? I wouldn't take a single one of them over what we've got.

Outside of Celtic, Davies is one of highest paid defenders in the league. The benefit of having a sugar daddy I suppose...

Aye, that 'he's lost the dressing room' story he put out last year was a belter, right enough.

Sticking up for his team mates, you mean? I'm pretty sure they found that to be positive, even if the gaffer did not.

Outside of Celtic, Davies is one of highest paid defenders in the league. The benefit of having a sugar daddy I suppose...

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, given his relative pedigree. Good player though.

Sticking up for his team mates, you mean? I'm pretty sure they found that to be positive, even if the gaffer did not.

Is one way of looking at it, I suppose.

He's been disappointing, for me. When he turns up, he's without question one of the best in the league. Over the hundred or so games he's played for us, he just hasn't done it anything like enough. Like everything else at the moment, I'm looking forward to what McGhee can do with them all over the summer and see how we look in August.

There's no doubt McManus will be offered a new deal. Our last 3 managers have spoke very highly of him.

As has been discussed there are few defenders in the league significantly better than him. I think we all just expected more of a leader given his Celtic and Scotland record and as a result he takes more than his fair share of criticism.

I would give all of them one year deal, Lasley in particular has proved me wrong year after year so I think he can still play a significant amount of games. Hammell has lost a step but still had it in him to perform. McManus for all his flaws his still an experienced head at the back and his aerial ability is good.
We should use the next year to try and establish young replacements for these guys. I think we could have someone coming through the ranks in Hall that could replace McManus relatively equally albeit he needs a partner. Would be nice to see someone at left back pushing from the U20 squad, Lasley however will be a lot more difficult to replace.

I'm not saying I agree with McManus' statements, just that I can see how it would play well with his team mates.

As for next season, a big defender from his German contacts must surely be on the cards from McGhee.

• Like 1

I think that when our full backs turn in a decent performance we see McManus at his best. Sadly, Saturday excepted, he has spent most of the season trying to cover the gaping hole at left back, whereas the other Centre Back often has had to cover right back at times. It is no coincidence that Hammell turning in his best performance of the season resulted in McManus also having one of his better games. I would definitely offer him another contract. McManus and Hall have done well together so why change a winning formula?

Lasley continues to contribute, although McGhee needs to accept that asking him to play Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday is asking an awful lot. If playing time is managed properly Lasley is worth another season. Cadden's inclusion has helped but alas Gomis does not appear to be able to provide the support Lasley requires, particularly towards the end of games.

Shopping list - at least one full back (even if Watt does eventually get given a chance), a central midfielder (please not Gomis) and probably a striker as Fletcher has not impressed although playing time has been limited.

• Like 1

I think we should stick with Fletcher. He has big ambitions and has a eye for goal. Think he could develop into a decent player for us. He is 25 and the next year or so could make or break his career. He might be keen to leave and get first team football. A Lee Erwin type loan for 6 months might help him out a bit.

I think we should stick with Fletcher. He has big ambitions and has a eye for goal. Think he could develop into a decent player for us. He is 25 and the next year or so could make or break his career. He might be keen to leave and get first team football. A Lee Erwin type loan for 6 months might help him out a bit.

An eye for goal...aye right 1 goal from 2 or 3 yards out in 1st game of the season and has never been seen since, he was a great investment, i would punt him he has brought nothing to the team.

If he still has a top bun then he needs to go. If not then I say give him another year to improve his hairstyle.

He seems to have cut it, either that or someone's snuck up behind him and relieved him of it with a pair of scissors. Those things are fucking ridiculous.

• Like 2

It's funny how people see games differently. I thought he was ineffectual against St. Johnstone and it served to highlight how crucial a player for us McDonald actually is.

Either way, the little impact he has, I would rather promote a young striker or look elsewhere.

I know goals don't count for everything as a striker, using the season Ojamaa was terrific and only scored four goals as an example, but Fletcher's stats from last season, even when fit are far from staggering. He went through a spell of scoring once in 21 games at one point.

Just one for the stattos - I will probably forget about it so I thought I would mention it as it's quite an achievement, our current post war player with most league appearances is Joe Wark on 464. Stevie Hammell is currently on course to elapse that as he is on 461 just a shame the injuries he suffered last year or he would have certainly would have well surpassed that. Brilliant achievement it has to be said.

• Like 3

I thinl fletcher has looked good when hes been on the pitch nearly scored against hearts i thought he was our best player against st jphnstone was raging when mcghee brought ainsworth on for himFletcher pulls players out positions hes a good player just give him time

That must have been a reserve game you were watching Fletcher at then,because when i saw him play at Perth with the big team he was crap.