2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

I'm assuming that all of these folk saying that we should be looking at cutting Lasley loose after this season haven't been watching him play or reading the match reports on this forum?

Spot on, still our best midfield player!

Pearo out for 6 weeks

Las crocked

Time to trawl round for a wee free agent?

Law and Laing injured too

Joe Chalmers not fit either(that's just a statement of fact, not an injury update.)

A bit threadbare aren't we?

We have Kennedy and Watt for right back and Gomis, Cadden, Leitch and McLean for midfield. Why spend money we don't have to...?
  • Like 1

Losing Pearson for 6 weeks is a sore one, fair play to him for trying to play on with such an injury.

It took McGhee a long time to carve out a fluid 433 formation and I fear with Pearson out for some time, we may struggle to formulate such a balanced team. If he isn't suspended, we'll probably have to depend on Skippy doing a job this week and/or draft Leitch in.

On the subject of quality midfielders, Jackson Irvine was terrific again today. Wonder if we did come close to signing him in the summer.

On the subject of quality midfielders, Jackson Irvine was terrific again today. Wonder if we did come close to signing him in the summer.

As far as I'm led to believe very close. However we spent the cash on another striker no longer at the club and couldn't afford both.

As far as I'm led to believe very close. However we spent the cash on another striker no longer at the club and couldn't afford both.

Ross County Signed Jackson Irvine on 28th July

cash on striker not at the club ? you mean Clarkson or Robinson ? if it was Clarkson, he signed in June we still had cash for lots of players and Robinson, if it was Robinson he never signed until nearer end of August

I remember Leitch being involved in that game at Pittodrie, a couple of years back. Not much more of a final hurdle than that!

But I tend to agree with Melvin here, the positive is that with some excellent recent results we probably could afford to view the Aberdeen game as a free shot and try something different within the constraints of the existing squad without it costing us too much.

There remains both personnel and tactical choices within the group even if all those players who went off, not to mention Laing, don't make it.

It depends on how long the respective players are likely to be out for. We know Pearson's looking at 6 weeks however Lasley's on Twitter there saying his seems to be a dead leg and will hopefully be better soon. After the Aberdeen game the next fixture isn't until 2nd April so there's a decent recovery period there.

Beyond that it depends on who's actually available, how fit they are and how much they'd cost and whether they'd actually be worth it.

Realistically I'd say a midfield 3 of Cadden Gomis Leitch would be more than fine as a one off, the only worry would really be if we picked up further injuries.

If we were looking at players being out for the rest of the season then it'd certainly raise a question however McGhee's done well fitting Hall and Cadden into the team you'd hope that there would be scope for promoting another of the 20s if we were only looking to accommodate positions short term.

Edit to add: if nothing else this would give McGhee an opportunity to look at those on the fringes of his established first XI and see if they can actually fit into the system he wants to play and how they fit into his longer term plans (or not as the case may be).

I remember a few years back we played Aberdeen with none of our recognised centre halfs round about this time of the season and we beat them 1-0. Here's hoping Saturday is a bit like that. Since we have gotten ourselves into a decent position I think bringing someone in who can't have kicked a ball in earnest for more than six weeks is something we don't need to risk and we should do the best with what we have.

Sorry..... but im not bothering about Ainsworth ,it was Fletcher I thought and think is not very good ie crap. but if his next start he plays a binder I will stand corrected.

i remember at least two chances he created that nearly resulted in him scoring talking about wes

Reason i bring ainsworth up is he was the replacement and i think looked worse than before thought point taken the whole match was poor

But lets wait for that blinder

Ross County Signed Jackson Irvine on 28th July

cash on striker not at the club ? you mean Clarkson or Robinson ? if it was Clarkson, he signed in June we still had cash for lots of players and Robinson, if it was Robinson he never signed until nearer end of August

Robinson. I first heard that we were in advanced negotiations with Irvine at the Livingston game which would have been on 18 July. My understanding is that Ian Baraclough wanted to sign Irvine and an another striker (Robinson). In the event he was told we had sufficient money for one so he opted for a striker. These things can take a few weeks to come to fruition and negotiations with signing targets can take weeks or months.

• Like 1

Robinson. I first heard that we were in advanced negotiations with Irvine at the Livingston game which would have been on 18 July. My understanding is that Ian Baraclough wanted to sign Irvine and an another striker (Robinson). In the event he was told we had sufficient money for one so he opted for a striker. These things can take a few weeks to come to fruition and negotiations with signing targets can take weeks or months.

We offered the boy a contract but County blew ours out the water unfortunately

We offered the boy a contract but County blew ours out the water unfortunately

I think thats right. However had we opted not to sign another a striker we may have been able to offer him a bit more. From what I hear Ross County are paying crazy wages just now. Thats not not sustainable, even with a sugar daddy, and they've been in financial trouble before.

Long and short is everyone outside Ross County can see they are circumventing financial fair play rules with 2 pensioners and a dug turning up to their games. OK, SPFL and TV money is shared based on league position, but regardless what they're up to is what UEFA is trying to stamp out. Do the SPFL not want another scandal or something?

Ally Maxwell played a cup final with all his ribs missing, his lung hanging out and a broken spine.

I recall a soured Dundee United fan writing to the Courier to complain bitterly about Ally Maxwell's behaviour in the final ie he was cheating. I wrote to reply in strong terms but it was never printed.

Pearo should easily have played on. Couple of broken ribs and a punctured lung. Nonsense!

Ally Maxwell played a cup final with all his ribs missing, his lung hanging out and a broken spine.

Footballers these days....

.... and they still haven't even found his spleen....