2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

If young players are good enough, they'll get their chance to develop under Baraclough. Concern is whether any are ready to make the step-up this season. Even Thomas after a promising introduction, looks some way from regular 1st team action. Watt is possibly at the top of the pecking order just now.

Good post. Thomas unquestionably has the talent but he now has to develop physically and step up from being an impact sub.

Its all very well to give young players their chance but they have to be good enough. Much is made of the youth talent at Tannadice but to get anywhere near their first team young lads have to be the creme de la creme and bite, scratch and claw their way up a ruthless youth ladder there.

One springs straight to mind

Tommy Coyne.

Bobby Russell

Anders Iniesta

to name to players who play in the same position as Leitch. And I'm not saying he's in their class just that you don't need that much pace if you have positional sense and a range of passing...

None of the youngsters have had enough game time yet to know whether they have it or not. To suggest anything else is just mental.

Don't forget there was a time when Jonny Page was seen as the cash cow by the club over Hutchy. You just don't know until they have had a good run of first team exposure.

I agree with you that Watt (and possibly McLean) are at the front of the queue at the moment but that could change. Lasley misses a couple of games and Leitch comes in and does a good job, suddenly he makes himself a good option for Baraclough.

On the subject of young players, is Cadden injured or has he dropped out of the picture altogether..?

I do hope Leitch gets his chance and it would be interesting to see if he could adequately cover Lasley. I just think he'd best suited to a central 3.

I've been wondering about Cadden. Not heard if he featured against Annan for the U20s.

I'll be very surprised if he does - not sure he's going to make the grade. His big drawback is lack of pace and that was recognised by the previous regime. Cast your mind back to the 5-1 thrashing at Tannadice a season or two back - his weakness then was cruelly exposed.

You only need to look as far as Keith Lasley to see you can become effective in the middle without much pace.

I don't buy this "Suited to a central 3" patter (for any player). sounds like "ride on the other guys coat tails" to me

Possibly so although probably more common now as box to box midfielders are a dying breed.

Regarding Lasley, he might not be fast but he's been terrific at getting round the park.

Jennings, Leitch Snr, Derek Adams (for a season or two)... All players who lacked a significant turn of pace who were very effective in the middle in recent years.

Pace doesn't make a player; if he can learn to position himself well and read the game he'll be the perfect fit for protecting a back 4 and breaking up play.

Give him some time; he needs to learn the game some more and equally train some more. There's no reason why without the proper training and conditioning (which I believe he'll get given our current backroom staff in that area) he can't pick up his pace and fitness to fit the mould described.

Its all very well to give young players their chance but they have to be good enough. Much is made of the youth talent at Tannadice but to get anywhere near their first team young lads have to be the creme de la creme and bite, scratch and claw their way up a ruthless youth ladder there.

John Rankin was on Sportsound a while back, they were talking about Andy Robertson's rise to stardom............Rankin, who seems genuine and has been around the block enough to have his head screwed on, said all the guys at United were talented - but that is not enough. It's attitude that lets you take the next step. A lot of players who were there before Robertson and are still there now, were there because they didn't want it enough, they were "molly cuddled" - given the best of everything. Andy Robertson didn't have that - he was at Queens Park - had to do everything himself, and when he got a chance at that level he took it. When he got the chance at Utd - he took it. When he got the chance at Hull - he took it.

I'm hoping some of the guys that have come in - have this same attitude. Fletcher, Moult - both want to score goals - but how far do they want to go? We've given them a platform - they need to show the talent and that bit of needle that makes you stand out

Jennings, Leitch Snr, Derek Adams (for a season or two)... All players who lacked a significant turn of pace who were very effective in the middle in recent years.

Pace doesn't make a player; if he can learn to position himself well and read the game he'll be the perfect fit for protecting a back 4 and breaking up play.

Give him some time; he needs to learn the game some more and equally train some more. There's no reason why without the proper training and conditioning (which I believe he'll get given our current backroom staff in that area) he can't pick up his pace and fitness to fit the mould described.

I loathe the man - but Neil Lennon is the perfect example. For a guy with no pace, he's had an excellent career, made a lot of money and won a load of trophies/medals

• Like 1

Dundee Utd do great PR on their "youngsters" but if you look at their track record a lot of them were blooded at other clubs. Mackay-Steven was at Liverpool (and then Airdrie Utd), Craig Conway at Ayr Utd., Robertson at Celtic and then Queens Park.

Goodwillie is about the only one that came through the ranks and made it all the way to Aberdeen.

Dundee Utd do great PR on their "youngsters" but if you look at their track record a lot of them were blooded at other clubs. Mackay-Steven was at Liverpool (and then Airdrie Utd), Craig Conway at Ayr Utd., Robertson at Celtic and then Queens Park.

Goodwillie is about the only one that came through the ranks and made it all the way to Aberdeen.

Don't really care if we get the same PR, doesn't bother me where United got these players from. What I'd like us to emulate is the amount of money they make...

That is another great bit of PR given the debt they have accrued during this time of "big transfer fees" for their youngsters. Even after Mackay Steven went, weren't they in debt to the tune of 3 million or so?

So the amount they are investing isn't generating sufficient return.

John Rankin was on Sportsound a while back, they were talking about Andy Robertson's rise to stardom............Rankin, who seems genuine and has been around the block enough to have his head screwed on, said all the guys at United were talented - but that is not enough. It's attitude that lets you take the next step.

100% spot on. A few years ago I spoke to an acquaintance whose son didn't make the grade at Tannadice. He was told by a coach that United didn't want talent alone they wanted winners.

I loathe the man - but Neil Lennon is the perfect example. For a guy with no pace, he's had an excellent career, made a lot of money and won a load of trophies/medals

I nearly put him down but decided Motherwell players only, hah. I'd have added Pirlo, too.

Does anyone actually see Dom Thomas as an integral part of the starting XI ? I don't actually see where he fits in. The boy has magic in his feet, but I think he's about a stone of muscle short of cutting it at the highest level- an absolute make or break season for him.

Does anyone actually see Dom Thomas as an integral part of the starting XI ? I don't actually see where he fits in. The boy has magic in his feet, but I think he's about a stone of muscle short of cutting it at the highest level- an absolute make or break season for him.

Na he's a good impact sub until he bulks up I see him being similar to Murphy in the fact that he's not quite a winger and not built to be a striker.