2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Y'know when you see an opposition player and he gives you the fear that he's going to hurt the team? Used to get that with big Higgy before he joined us. Samson is the complete opposite. Hope this isn't true.

THIS.

Used to shite it when we played big Higdon's team, but whenever we play a team with Craig Samson in goals my first thought is "oh yes a few goals today then"

Third choice Scotland keeper!!! Yeah, but Scotland have gash goalies!! What does Strachan know about football? (apart from more than everyone on here combined)

If he signs he's brilliant, if he doesn't, he's pish.

With regard to a keeper, not holding out for anyone spectacular, but competent would be great. We have been spoiled recently with the likes of Randolph and Ruddy but have also suffered in recent memory with some absolute gash custodians. I personally would prefer a proper signing but if no one is available could cope with a loaned. The jury was still out on Long but having him for another year could be an option. The question is though, is he any better than Dan? I would also accept that we may start the season with Dan as first choice. He is not the worst and I could live with that, certainly better than the possibility of Craig Samson joining up.

I have seen it quoted that a good keeper is worth at least a dozen points a season. That may be the case but I doubt it applied to us last year. We could have had Sepp Meyer at his peak in goal for us and it would have made little difference. Our defending was fourth rate for so long that the confidence of any goalie was going to suffer. I know it is a two way street and that defenders can lose confidence in their goalkeeper, leading to all sorts of calamities, but it will take more than a new keeper to sort out our problems. Let's hope that there is lots of work going on behind thescenesto tackle these issues and failings.

He was called up after Scott Bain pulled out injured in June. Probably one of few options not on holiday.

Samson is mediocre at best, similar level to Meldrum. Pretty confident the club are setting their sights a little higher.

He's a better goalkeeper than Meldrum. Not the best in the league but not the worst either.

• Like 1

There was quotes from the gaffer in one of the papers today where he said he'd spoken to Nigel Clough about Long, there wasn't a mention of speaking to Nigel Adkins however, Long might feel he has a real opportunity to impress their new gaffer - got my doubts he'll be at Fir Park next season.

Is there much point in shelling out wages for a goalkeeper who is no better than what we already have at the club? There will, undoubtedly, be better out there so let's have a good look before wasting money on the first cab off the rank?

Where is Mark Brown these days? Always thought he was poorly treated by the club and a decent keeper by SPL standards.

the goalkeeping position was a big problem for us last season and if samson signs barraclough has done nothing to address the situation,all we would have succeeded in doing would be adding another piss poor goalkeeper onto the payroll.

That Express piece is just putting 2+2 together. Samson's getting binned, Bara's made it clear we're looking for a keeper = apparently IB is "keen" to sign him, yet there's no quote from Baraclough making that suggestion. It seems he's "likely to be a target" simply because we're in the market for a keeper.

Two other keepers named there that the Express are linking us with Long & Christian Walton from Brighton are both the total opposite of Samson and much more in line with the recruitment we've seen so far. Long we're already known to be interested in, Walton is another England u19/u20 same as Laing, Kennedy & Long himself.

Edited by capt_oats
  • Like 1

Is there much point in shelling out wages for a goalkeeper who is no better than what we already have at the club? There will, undoubtedly, be better out there so let's have a good look before wasting money on the first cab off the rank?

Where is Mark Brown these days? Always thought he was poorly treated by the club and a decent keeper by SPL standards.

He's at Dumbarton. Couldn't keep a place in the Ross County side so I don't think his recent form was anything to write home about.

Two other keepers named there that the Express are linking us with Long & Christian Walton from Brighton are both the total opposite of Samson and much more in line with the recruitment we've seen so far. Long we're already known to be interested in, Walton is another England u19/u20 same as Laing, Kennedy & Long himself.

I'd say we are looking for a more experienced goalkeeper so I can't see us going with another untested u19/u20 type player.

From the BBC GOssip page

Scott McDonald could end Motherwell's hopes he will extend his stay at Fir Park after the 31-year-old out-of-contract striker received a lucrative offer from a Chinese Super League club

The word lucrative means likely to be China bound. Skippy could have signed any time from at least a week ago probably longer. Means he is and was holding out to see what his options are / were. Perfectly entitled to do so.

The gap in his earnings from where he was at the likes of Celtic and Boro is probably too large to Motherwell. Of course he will know he is not likely to get that kind of money again unless he heads to China, USA or Middle East. Most teams there would probably take him.

Hopefully we find out today as this has been dragging on too long to get alternatives should he decide to move elsewhere.