2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Heard from a good source at Celtic last night that we have been negotiating for that Jackson lad (sorry name escapes me) but Celtic have a cash offer on the table for him . Apparently we are trying to do a deal where we pay later down the line but Celtic are having none of it. Confirms the rumors that we are at least in for him and he's a target for midfield

I'd say we are looking for a more experienced goalkeeper so I can't see us going with another untested u19/u20 type player.

Fair point.

Though Clarkson & McDonald aside, Samson just seems pretty at odds with the sort of market we've been bringing players in from & the sort of players we've apparently been looking at.

Which obviously isn't to say it won't happen but given IB's on record saying he was keen to bring Long back I imagined if that deal didn't pan out the guy we brought in would be from a similar sort of level/profile.

The Samson stuff just all seems too convenient & looks more like 2+2 rumour based on circumstance.

Edited by capt_oats

McDonald would be disappointing however we need to move on if he decided not to join.

I would imagine that we should have a substantial chunk of playing budget kicking around? I understand we are operating on a smaller budget this season however we released a huge amount of playing staff at the end of last season (Something like18?) and have brought in only 6 - resigning one.

Hopefully, this will allow us to bring in someone of similar quality as McDonald.

In terms of a goalkeeper, I would rather we brought in someone with a little experience. If nothing else, it should give slightly more confidence to the back line. We could have two centre halfs aged 21 and 22, an 18 year old at right back and a 21 year old at left back. An experienced head behind them could be beneficial.

That Express piece is just putting 2+2 together. Samson's getting binned, Bara's made it clear we're looking for a keeper = apparently IB is "keen" to sign him, yet there's no quote from Baraclough making that suggestion. It seems he's "likely to be a target" simply because we're in the market for a keeper.

Thats my impression too. Of course he could sign for us but will he? There are also many other keepers out there who could also sign for us.

I just can't see the Samson thing happening. I know we were interested in him when he left St Mirren but it goes against what we are trying to achieve with our recruitment policy. The Killie lad has been spot on a few times in the past so I wont complete discount it, however will be disappointed if that is who our number 1 is going to be for the season.

I never really believed that McDonald was going to come back. He has one big contract left in him and a 12month deal in China could set him up for the rest of his days (I am sure he wont be short of a bob or two anyway with his contracts at Celtic & 'Boro). The only thing that might put him off is taking a young family to a country which will be really hard to settle in. Maybe a small glimmer of hope.

Just had a quick look at the Chinese Super League and unsurprisingly there's a limit on foreign players. At the moment there's only one team who have a spare space in their squad for an Asian player (which McDonald would qualify for what with him being Australian and everything) and that's Shanghai Shenxin who are currently bottom of the league with the lowest average attendance. Seems there's about 8 rounds of games to go.

The sort of money they chuck about in that league is no joke, especially for the foreign "stars" (Asamoah Gyan is apparently on £227,000 a week for example) so you couldn't really argue if he decided to go down that route. That said, there's something about the timing of this, (all of a sudden after we say; "we'd like to know one way or another thanks" there's a "lucrative deal" from China on the table), that makes me wonder if it's more his agent flying a kite to see if there's any more interest in him over here.

That said, given the likes of Tim Cahill's already playing there then it's entirely feasible, the move may well be for the start of their next season too, there's normally quite a regular turnover of players. Either way from the outset he's always said he'd take his time and weigh up all his options before making a decision. It's the right time for the club to want an answer one way or another though. If he re-signs great, if not hopefully we can put the budget set aside for him to good use.

Edited by capt_oats

This whole Samson talk isn't too far off I believe. 2 years ago he had to make the decision between Motherwell and Killie and we all know where he ended up. This could possibly be rekindled fairly quickly. Not saying it would be a good move... I'd rather give a young goalie a shot, before we get Samson.

This whole Samson talk isn't too far off I believe. 2 years ago he had to make the decision between Motherwell and Killie and we all know where he ended up. This could possibly be rekindled fairly quickly. Not saying it would be a good move... I'd rather give a young goalie a shot, before we get Samson.

Except 2 years ago we had a completely different management team, and putting it kindly, a different "approach" to recruitment. Were McCall still in charge then absolutely I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest Samson was being targeted. He's totally the sort of signing I'd have expected under that management.

Having said that, he may well end up signing but it'd fly in the face of the whole "we need to be more effective in the transfer market" thing the club has been punting.

Edited by capt_oats

I'm usually the first to criticise fellow posters at getting on a players back before he has kicked a ball but Samson for me would be a horrendous signing.

It looks like a really lazy signing and that frustrates me as it may be one of the most important.

If he signs it takes the shine off all the other signings as it lacks ambition

Took umbrage at how the club approached the previous offer & none too complimentary either so I'd rather as I suspect we'll leave well alone here.

re: Walton, it seems like he's been linked with a ton of clubs for a loan. Latest one is Bury. May well be the case that we're just another name getting touted about.

Agree that 19 seems a bit young and unlike Long, who at least had a fair number of first team games for Sheffield United, he doesn't have much senior game time at all. Which is clearly why you'd imagine Brighton would want him out on loan.

He seems to be highly rated though and at 6ft 5" he's a good height.

Took umbrage at how the club approached the previous offer & none too complimentary either so I'd rather as I suspect we'll leave well alone here.

This. Chose to fight it out for No 1 spot at Killie rather than come to Motherwell as No 1. Probably had more to do with what was on the table, but seemed bizarre at the time.

He did get in the Scotland squad albeit 3rd choice, but cannot be as bad as everyone is making out for that to happen.

We just want a keeper that can command his box and does not have us with our heads in hands at every dead ball. Is that too much to ask. It would appear so..