2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Interesting that we've not used the loan market yet this summer. Whether that's simply down to the fact that English clubs haven't finalised their squads yet (although this didn't stop Aberdeen picking up a goalkeeper from Liverpool) or whether it's a conscious decision by the club, I don't know. Maybe even the fact that some of the players that we had on loan last season didn't feature as much as their parent club (thinking O'Brien and Grant) would have thought and would that put some clubs off from loaning us their players? Surely if you're loaning players out, you want them to feature regularly?

Just a point I raise, simply because I expected our goalkeeper signing to be a loan signing, be it George Long or another player. The Craig Samson rumours does open up the idea of an experienced signing but that seems to go against the approach the club are mostly taking with the likes of Moult, Kennedy, Laing and Johnson being players to develop and sell. The boy Atkinson (and he is just a boy) would fit the profile there but goalkeeper is a position where it feels like a massive risk to go with such an inexperienced player.

This is a massive decision. Not a huge fan of Twardzik but I'd rather wait and get the right signing in even if it means starting the season with only Twardzik and Brett Long...

Interesting that we've not used the loan market yet this summer. Whether that's simply down to the fact that English clubs haven't finalised their squads yet (although this didn't stop Aberdeen picking up a goalkeeper from Liverpool) or whether it's a conscious decision by the club, I don't know. Maybe even the fact that some of the players that we had on loan last season didn't feature as much as their parent club (thinking O'Brien and Grant) would have thought and would that put some clubs off from loaning us their players? Surely if you're loaning players out, you want them to feature regularly?

I wondered the same myself after hearing the club talking about developing our own players. I've absolutely zero to base this on beyond what I've heard from interviews from the manager and Les Hutchison but I'd have thought it would be a conscious decision by the club rather than other clubs being reticent to loan out.

Also, I'd think that the preference would be to bring in our own players first where possible and look at loans as an exceptional circumstance ie: the player is going to benefit us significantly in the short term or we're looking at a loan with an option to take them on further down the line.

Speaking personally I find it much easier to engage with a squad who are our own players rather than an amalgam of stop-gap 1-year loans and similar short term contracts. If it is a conscious decision to move away from the short-termism of loan culture then in my eyes it's definitely a positive thing.

Agree completely about the GK position, I'd much rather we took our time and brought in the right body rather than just lazily bring someone in because he's available and happens to play in goal. While there's an obvious urgency for this I'm still happy for the management team to try players out and not just jump at the first available option. To be fair the manager's already said that he's prepared to wait to bring in the right guy and given the fact that they've pretty much been true to their word in terms of the profile of the players they've brought in to date I'm prepared to take him on his word with regards that as well.

Just a point I raise, simply because I expected our goalkeeper signing to be a loan signing, be it George Long or another player. The Craig Samson rumours does open up the idea of an experienced signing but that seems to go against the approach the club are mostly taking with the likes of Moult, Kennedy, Laing and Johnson being players to develop and sell. The boy Atkinson (and he is just a boy) would fit the profile there but goalkeeper is a position where it feels like a massive risk to go with such an inexperienced player.

This is a massive decision. Not a huge fan of Twardzik but I'd rather wait and get the right signing in even if it means starting the season with only Twardzik and Brett Long...

I think we will maybe dip into the loan market near deadline day or deadline day but baraclough seems like he wants to us the youth so it is possibly to bring a couple of loans though

I wouldn't have an issue with Dan getting a spell behind a settled defence. He has something about him, although he is also prone to the odd howler.

I had no confidence at all in Hollis but can't actually think of a time he let us down. (There was that one time when he came on as a sub and lost 2 rapid, but we won that game)

Dan gives me the fear. He was third choice at Dundee and only got one game when their goalie was suspended He was not rated by two managers Hartley and Brown. If you watch the Bradford highlights he wad at fault for all three goals. Obviously the first, caught at his near post for the second and dragged so far across his goal at the third that the guy had a huge target to head into. I would like to see Dan out on loan and two new keepers brought in.

• Like 1

I would hazard a guess at Dan being the man -until the transfer window closes, at which point he will be Dan the Man who helps with the warm up of the Championship loan signing who will be happy to get a guaranteed starting slot instead of turning out for the reserves.

McCall's signing policy brought us one of the best teams we've had, but I'd agree that his taste in goalie was poor.

I would expect that the goalie will be one of our loan signings, and due to that we will probably have to wait until the end of this window as that is when loans tend to happen.

I hope that the new CM will be a permanent signing considering the ages/contracts of las and pearo. It would be nice to have someone ready to step in.

Would be nice to get a permanent CM. However, it seems that Bara has been looking to the next transfer window too, so I guess it's not impossible that he brings in someone on a 6 month loan with a view to signing someone else up in January.

I hope that the new CM will be a permanent signing considering the ages/contracts of las and pearo. It would be nice to have someone ready to step in.

Everyone wants a centre midfield also me but what's the point in signing someone like Jackson Irvine if he's not going to get a game would be better just taking him on loan then signing him next season instead of buying him now when he will just get wasted and will be backup

Anyone know if we are trying to get the goalie Atkinson? Not read any reports on his performance v Sligo

Alan burrows said he did okay but wasn't really in the game as well were always on the attack. So we will probably take another look at him on Friday or another keeper

Alan burrows said he did okay but wasn't really in the game as well were always on the attack. So we will probably take another look at him on Friday or another keeper

Just watched the highlights Wasn't to impressed with him at the fee kick. Went the right way then stopped. looked like he thought it was going by.....oooopsss wrong!!!!

Was against St. Johnstone. Hollis came on in 75 minutes. St. Johnstone scored twice in 4 minutes!

I also seem to remember neither of them were anywhere close to being his fault...sold out by the defence im sure?

I think this was the game the camera pans in on him seconds after either the first or second flies past him. Looking utterly incredulous he quickly mouths an amusing (amusing because we eventually hung on and won) "Fuck Me" before returning to the calm and steadying influence between the sticks we all remember.....