2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Franny Jeffers was a laugh too. I walked past him getting lifted in an alley way in town after his last game for us and he was shouting "up the well".

:lol:

See, jeffers was sound!

I agree about Jeffers' link up play. His off-the-ball movement was also excellent.

I often thought Jeffers looked like he was several steps ahead of most of his team mates, and would actually use the ball extremely well, it was just that nobody around him was quite on the same level. I remember several occasions where he would play a very intelligent ball only for it to run out of play because Murphy et al hadn't anticipated what he was going to do.

Of course one could argue that Jeffers should have anticipated his team-mates lack of anticipation...but I still reckon he was actually much better than how he is usually remembered.

• Like 1

I always though Jeffers was a class act.

Reminded me a wee bit of when Sasa Curcic played with us and was about 5 steps and thoughts ahead of everyone else on the park.

Shame both were a bit batshit mental!!

Dan is barely shorter than Randolph. Whether he's good or not is up for debate, but he's no midget.

I hope we get a better no1 but we're in a decent position having Dan as a backup until we find one.

• Like 1

Dan is a decent shot stopper but absolutely hopeless at any cross balls into our 6 yard box he stands rooted to the spot. How anyone thinks we need a keeper like that is beyond me. He may not be a midget but he plays as if he is...Nae good. Some of the goals we lost last season.... :suicide:

Dan is a decent shot stopper but absolutely hopeless at any cross balls into our 6 yard box he stands rooted to the spot. How anyone thinks we need a keeper like that is beyond me. He may not be a midget but he plays as if he is...Nae good. Some of the goals we lost last season.... :suicide:

I had lapsed into that "good shot stopper" opinion but then had a flash back to the shot in Stajarnan that he miserably failed to stop !

• Like 1

Good shot stopper

Midget

Lazy signing

Third choice Dundee

Benefited from good run

Defence don't trust him

Punches too much

Doesn't deal with crosses

Anything I missed out?

Lies about his height (no way he's 6ft.)

• Like 1

Good shot stopper

Midget

Lazy signing

Third choice Dundee

Benefited from good run

Defence don't trust him

Punches too much

Doesn't deal with crosses

Anything I missed out?

He's Never saved a penalty in his professional career!!

If Dans to be first choice starter initially, then I'm glad we'll have Kennedy or Laing with height and muscle to challenge for cross balls. Watt and Hammell as full backs assisted by Ainsworth and Johnson ttracking back to reduce the number of balls into the box. Easier to just keep the ball away in the first place than to have Dan flapping about waving at cross balls

If Dan conceded the goal vs Sligo, then he would have been crucified. Terrible goalkeeping.

Let's not forget that for months people were considering Dan to get back into the first XI at the expense of George Long. The two playoff games seem to have clouded people's judgment on how successful Long's loan was. He wasn't much better than Dan.

Yes, stats appear to be in Long's favour - but it was Ebbe Skovdahl that said "stats are like miniskirts, they look good but hide the important bits".

Long ticked all our boxes - Young, tall, potential, highly rated down south. And with the extra expense was he really that big an improvement on Dan?

Dan may not be terrific, but he doesn't give you the fear anywhere near as much as Hollis and Neilsen. And he was for 6 months on course to win our POTY. People are easy to forget that. He was crucial in the points we did pick up, and kept our hammerings down from cricket scores.

Check out the highlight of the defending vs Dundee and Accies at the start of last season. And you'll see how much Dan saved us at times last year.

The year we finished 2nd we managed to do this with Neilsen and Hollis. Widely recognised as far inferior goalkeepers than Dan. That's because in the SPL - a prolific striker/strikeforce is far greater requirement. And with McDonald/Wes/Moult we may well have that again. Thus relieving the pressure on our "inferior" goalkeeping position.

Of course Dan will be replaced as Bara has stated. But certainly not the disaster that everyone reckons.

• Like 6

Spot on post by DC'd. Folk need to show some patience and stop pissing the bed because their dream goalie hasn't strided through the doors at Fir Park just yet.

It would also be great when a new goalie does inevitably sign that we were saved the obligatory post that always follows: "Good news but we still definitely need another this and another that and yadda fucking yadda yadda..."

Paradise syndrome is a rare condition but seems to affect about half the people that post on here. Nothing ever seems to be enough. The club know what they're doing these days, for a change have a little faith.

• Like 4

As much as Dan's physical stature isn't akin to what most would like between the sticks, he had as many gaff's per game as the larger Long and also wasn't helped by a constantly changing/keystone cop defence during McCall's reign.

I'm happy to bash him if his reputation and ability are beyond saving however his attitude and endeavour were not mirrored by those on more money and with more experience last season.

I would like to see a new keeper but I also feel we have a very capable understudy in Dan and if we are facing a month with him as the only option until deadline day then it's not the biggest of our problems.

Shitey, snide remarks on here add nothing.

Spot on

MON RA DOSSERS

Yes, stats appear to be in Long's favour - but it was Ebbe Skovdahl that said "stats are like miniskirts, they look good but hide the important bits".

One of my favourite quotes that.

What a boy Ebbe was!

Which is the actual job of all those players you named.

I think you'd agree Ainsworth has only latterly made any effort whatsoever to defend, Johnson too- my point is that we can be well set up to minimise the threat to Dan from cross balls, provided that we set up to play essentially in a counter attacking style .

All of which will help any keeper